Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is that clock for clock still has AMD trailing significantly; after all, the closest clock for clock analogue in the desktop world at stock would be the Ryzen 5 1500X to the i7-7700. Problem after that is that these chips haven't even debuted yet, so there true competitor won't be the i7-7700HQ, but the i7-8700HQ (or whatever they call the high-powered Cannon Lake mobile chip) once it drops.

Meanwhile, on the GPU side, not a chance this matches the discrete NVIDIA GPUs in laptops. Their APUs have never come close, and the distance is greater than ever with Pascal Mobile & Max-Q.
I jumped the gun saying they match clock for clock. We don't know how they're going to perform. I wouldn't hold out much hope for the 8700hq to get much of an improvement unless the 2700U comes out swinging, I'm assuming they're going to be keeping 4/8 with a slight bump in speeds.
AMD sprinkled some charts as well, but it's AMD. It appears the HP Envy, Lenovo Ideapad, and Acer Swift lines will be getting these processors.
AMD-Ryzen-Processor-with-Radeon-Graphics-Press-Deck-LEGAL-FINAL-page-026-1440x810.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-Processor-with-Radeon-Graphics-Press-Deck-LEGAL-FINAL-page-025-1440x810.jpg

Did you see Tech Talk with Jay and Jerry is coming back and starts tonight?

Nice. I was never a religious viewer of Tech Talk, but it's good to know their vids addressing specific questions I might have will be out there.

Considering what Intel did with the i5-8400, I am actually expecting them to adapt the same strategy (already at use in laptops) to the Cannon Lake chips, and go for six cores with those low base clocks and huge turbos. I don't expect any more significant an IPC gain than we've seen generation to generation since Ivy Bridge, but six-core laptop CPUs for under $1K should be a game changer, too.

I had this problem, tried so many dif things. I would get hard crashes all the time. I thought it was PSU. I downgraded to win 7 from win 10 and now my pc works just fine.
Weird, that’s annoying. This pc did used to have 7 on it

I’m pretty pissed at intel right now. I don’t understand their complete silence on the availability of the new processors

Weird, that’s annoying. This pc did used to have 7 on it

I’m pretty pissed at intel right now. I don’t understand their complete silence on the availability of the new processors
Oh, they're available, alright.

To Apple, to Dell & Alienware, to Origin, to CyberpowerPC, to CybertronPC, etc.

Builders are their last priority.

Oh, they're available, alright.

To Apple, to Dell & Alienware, to Origin, to CyberpowerPC, to CybertronPC, etc.

Builders are their last priority.
Yeah I’ve seen they were selling prebuilt machines with them. Seriously pissed at intel right now though for continuing to advertise them and not even acknowledging the shortage

The gpu is the big question. It looks like it's going to be beefy, but who knows with AMD.
Clock for clock it's right there with the 7700hq but with a lower TDP, 45w vs 25w.
HBM2 supply has also been brought into question since Vega launched. Maybe they're holding back supply on the Vega 56 & 64 for these APU's. I'm assuming these chips are being targeted to ultra books.

Apparently the original report of Zen 2 coming out first of the year but now it is rumored to be called Zen+ instead of Zen 2. It has improvement to make it more competitive but AMD decided to focus its resources on Zen 2 at 7nm and have already had a test run on very early Zen 2 cores. But they decided to call Zen+ to say improved not total redesign.

By what metric? Comparing the Ryzen APUs to the Intel Core series CPUs in terms of raw gaming & 3D rendering performance rather than compute performance?

Gimme a fucking break. Passmark is the only true CPU benchmark on that list, and look at it. It's getting murdered.

An Intel i7-7700HQ + GTX 1050 Ti Pascal Mobile will bulldoze that Ryzen 7 APU in gaming. We've seen this before. Different solar systems in terms of performance, but not in price.
Apparently the original report of Zen 2 coming out first of the year but now it is rumored to be called Zen+ instead of Zen 2. It has improvement to make it more competitive but AMD decided to focus its resources on Zen 2 at 7nm and have already had a test run on very early Zen 2 cores. But they decided to call Zen+ to say improved not total redesign.
It's not going to matter in laptops, dude.

By what metric? Comparing the Ryzen APUs to the Intel Core series CPUs in terms of raw gaming & 3D rendering performance rather than compute performance?

Gimme a fucking break. Passmark is the only true CPU benchmark on that list, and look at it. It's getting murdered.

An Intel i7-7700HQ + GTX 1050 Ti Pascal Mobile will bulldoze that Ryzen 7 APU in gaming. We've seen this before. Different solar systems in terms of performance, but not in price.

It's not going to matter in laptops, dude.

First no doubt but what will be the price for such as system in terms of battery life and especially costs. In the video they pointed out that fact secondly what's will all the swearing there is no need of that to have an intelligent debate on the merits of each brands approach. You can build out a crazy performance machine even without using mobile chips for the mobile space there are tons of examples of this fact. But these boxes weigh more then most PC's and have shorten battery life. We already know a decent GPU tied to an Intel i7 will do its business to an AMD SOC but the combo alone will add more cost then the AMD based laptop in most cases.

First no doubt but what will be the price for such as system in terms of battery life and especially costs. In the video they pointed out that fact secondly what's will all the swearing there is no need of that to have an intelligent debate on the merits of each brands approach. You can build out a crazy performance machine even without using mobile chips for the mobile space there are tons of examples of this fact. But these boxes weigh more then most PC's and have shorten battery life. We already know a decent GPU tied to an Intel i7 will do its business to an AMD SOC but the combo alone will add more cost then the AMD based laptop in most cases.
See, that's the problem with these APUs. They're just not cheap enough. It's been the same problem in the desktop space. Every once in a while one of the models will crater in price, and make for an arguable buy, but at MSRP, the top A10/A12 APU of any given generation will be like $165 when a G4560 + GTX 1050 is roughly the same in price.

Meanwhile, they would fill a great niche for HTPCs, but Intel has all the decoding advantages, and also all the deals with online content providers like Netflix for luxuries like 4K streaming.

I want so badly to love these APUs, but they just can't seem to manufacture them cheaply enough to make it work.

See, that's the problem with these APUs. They're just not cheap enough. It's been the same problem in the desktop space. Every once in a while one of the models will crater in price, and make for an arguable buy, but at MSRP, the top A10/A12 APU of any given generation will be like $165 when a G4560 + GTX 1050 is roughly the same in price.

Meanwhile, they would fill a great niche for HTPCs, but Intel has all the decoding advantages, and also all the deals with online content providers like Netflix for luxuries like 4K streaming.

I want so badly to love these APUs, but they just can't seem to manufacture them cheaply enough to make it work.

It sounds like iGPU is Intel's way of patent trolling AMD according to a number of posts along with Microsoft Edge. In your example you post the combined cost of the G4560 and the GTX 1050. Taking into account the costs of the G4560 boxed version then the cost of the GTX 1050 we come up with 120 dollars for 1050 and around 80 dollars for the G4560 boxed version. This works up to 200 still cheap but this is a duel core CPU that does not support hyperthreading. When you price out the AMD APU your likely less money the HP Envy X360 is a laptop with the new chip and should retail in at around 700 to 800 dollars it seems. HP with an intel CPU and a 1050 GPU currently retails for around $950 so that does put it in the ballpark of the Envy so likely AMD going to have to be more competitive price wise or not? Currently under normal situations a 100 dollar advantage would be a plus but because of single threaded issues it could pose problems for AMD.

It sounds like iGPU is Intel's way of patent trolling AMD according to a number of posts along with Microsoft Edge. In your example you post the combined cost of the G4560 and the GTX 1050. Taking into account the costs of the G4560 boxed version then the cost of the GTX 1050 we come up with 120 dollars for 1050 and around 80 dollars for the G4560 boxed version. This works up to 200 still cheap but this is a duel core CPU that does not support hyperthreading. When you price out the AMD APU your likely less money the HP Envy X360 is a laptop with the new chip and should retail in at around 700 to 800 dollars it seems. HP with an intel CPU and a 1050 GPU currently retails for around $950 so that does put it in the ballpark of the Envy so likely AMD going to have to be more competitive price wise or not? Currently under normal situations a 100 dollar advantage would be a plus but because of single threaded issues it could pose problems for AMD.
No, I cited MSRPs, which held for a while before the market realized AMD just wasn't competing, in the case of the G4560, and before the cryptocurrency craze, in the case of the GTX 1050. This combo is actually significantly more expensive today than it was upon launch for the simple reason the market realized the truths that I am voicing.

Their MSRPs were $60 and $110, respectively, when they launched, for a total of $170 MSRP, and they actually held that for a while (with the GTX 1050 even dropping to a real market entry price level of $100 when the RX 460 was $90 before the cryptocurrency boom). The A10-7890K, meanwhile, the closest AMD APU analogue in price, debuted with an MSRP $165.
  • $165 = A10-7890K
  • $170 = Intel Pentium G4560 + NVIDIA GTX 1050 2GB
Compare GTA V performance. Like I said: not even the same solar system.

A10-7890K (@stock & overclocked)
"Normal" Preset Settings: 31.1 fps avg
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81L0gvNTYzOTU3L29yaWdpbmFsLzA2LUdUQS1WLnBuZw==

G4560 + GTX 1050 2GB
"Very High/Ultra" Custom Settings: 56.3 fps avg
g4560-pc-build-fps.png

A10-7890K

G4560 + GTX 1050

Again: the AMD GPU is a garbage value-- garbage-- when it doesn't crater in price. That's why I highlighted the little brother to this, the A10-7850K, when it dropped to $80. At that price you have some arguments for certain niches. It's quite attractive.

Per laptops: $700-$800 laptops containing which one? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical, I already know. That price range will house the R5 APU. I know that because the A10 and A12 mobile APUs from Bristol Ridge are all in laptops that are over $1K....right now. So okay, sure, who cares. That means that R5 APU will go up against the likes of laptops like this one:
MSI GL62M 7RD-1407 15.6" Full HD Thin and Light Performance Gaming Laptop i5-7300HQ GTX 1050 2G 8GB 256GB SSD Win10 SteelSeries Keyboard

...which you can upgrade to the $900 version for the i7-7700HQ + GTX 1050 Ti, or simply step up that i5-7300U to a GTX 1050 Ti for $800 with the below (it's $799 when in stock):
Lenovo Legion Y520 - 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer i5-7300HQ / Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB / 8GB DDR4 DRAM / 256GB PCIe SSD / Windows 10 Signature Image 80WK00FHUS

AMD is hopeless in the laptop space: utterly hopeless. Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself?

Last edited:
G4560 is hyperthreaded 2/4 @3.5
https://ark.intel.com/products/97143/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4560-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz

i'm seeing Coffee lake cpu's pop in and out of stock lately. Amazon has 8600k's for $280 and the 8700 for $340

This is interesting apparently today it will be announced.

"
By
Ted Greenwald
Nov. 6, 2017 6:01 a.m. ET

Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices Inc., archrivals for decades, are teaming up to thwart a common competitor, Nvidia Corp.

Intel planned to announce Monday a laptop-computer chip that combines an Intel processor and an AMD graphics unit, according to a person familiar with the matter. The chip is intended for laptops that are thin and lightweight but powerful enough to run high end games. "

It requires a subscription to read the rest of the article oh well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rivals-intel-and-amd-team-up-on-pc-chips-to-battle-nvidia-1509966064

In the news:
"Rivals Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are teaming up to produce a laptop computer chip that uses an Intel processor and an AMD graphics unit. The partnership will pit the two companies against competitor Nvidia. The new chip will be made for laptops that are designed to be thin and portable, but still powerful enough for gamers who need a stronger option to play intensive games. It’ll be part of Intel’s eighth-generation Intel Core line and marks Intel and AMD’s first partnership since the 1980s, as The Wall Street Journalnotes."

"The new chip will use HBM2, and can be used in devices including notebooks, two-in-ones, and mini desktops."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/6/16612048/intel-amd-partnership-nvidia-laptop-chip

In other more possible news Intel may become a 3rd party source for the manufacturing of Ryzen chips specifically Ryzen 2. Intel been looking to compete with Nvidia in the AI and autonomous space and they don't want to admit that Nvidia has a sizable jump on them. They bought that company gain much needed expertise on autonomous driving but they need more people to use their manufacturing space. Samsung, TSMC and Global Foundries have collected the most outsourcing contracts. Intel wants in on that space but does not have many takers.

EDIT: You maybe wondering why Intel maybe willing to work with AMD and others is their new chip manufacturing plant is going to cost north of 14 billion dollars I have heard. Given the scale of the cash needed to build the plant Intel looking to gain contracts to use some of the capacity to ease the costs of build the plant.

Last edited:
Newegg has Vega cards in stock at MSRP:eek:

Reason is cryptocurrency is struggling bitcoin is the only one seems to be avoiding the downward trend. All the others seemed to be sinking in value. Specifically etherium been on a downward trend leading people to slow buying GPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.