Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah. My PC has been on the fritz so I want to do a new build, but I can't just buy a new CPU knowing there is a brand new 6-core out there. Stupid paper launch.

you mean 8

Bah. My PC has been on the fritz so I want to do a new build, but I can't just buy a new CPU knowing there is a brand new 6-core out there. Stupid paper launch.
I wouldn't buy a new generation right away, I'd wait a little to make sure they get the bugs worked out.

If you're ready to build a new comp, then you're ready to do a clean install of Windows.

Just mentioning that in the blind (not sure if these are hardware issues). Could buy you some time, or fix your issues altogether. It's a bitch, but there's nothing like building things back up from the ground up, and you're gonna do it anyway with a new build. It has the wonderful side effect of jettisoning everything that isn't actually important to you in the here and now when you rebuild. Machine always feels leaner and meaner when you come out of it.

Besides, this ain't like it used to be. All of our important shit and customizations are stored in the cloud, now. If you rebuild, don't have issues, and then suddenly re-experience issues after syncing all of that stuff, then you'll know something is rotten with those cloud services, and you'll have identified a problem that isn't unique to the machine.

If you're ready to build a new comp, then you're ready to do a clean install of Windows.

Just mentioning that in the blind (not sure if these are hardware issues). Could buy you some time, or fix your issues altogether. It's a bitch, but there's nothing like building things back up from the ground up, and you're gonna do it anyway with a new build. It has the wonderful side effect of jettisoning everything that isn't actually important to you in the here and now when you rebuild. Machine always feels leaner and meaner when you come out of it.

Besides, this ain't like it used to be. All of our important shit and customizations are stored in the cloud, now. If you rebuild, don't have issues, and then suddenly re-experience issues after syncing all of that stuff, then you'll know something is rotten with those cloud services, and you'll have identified a problem that isn't unique to the machine.
It's not a software issue I've already reformatted it. It's been shutting off and restarting with no warning for a while with no kind of crash log like it didn't even happen. My best theory has been the psu, mobo or the ssd. Most likely some kind of power issue.

It's not a software issue I've already reformatted it. It's been shutting off and restarting with no warning for a while with no kind of crash log like it didn't even happen. My best theory has been the psu, mobo or the ssd. Most likely some kind of power issue.
Figured it was more serious, but also that there was no harm in sounding out a logical consideration.

This is why it's nice to keep around an old shitbox you don't care about. You can test each component individually to see what still works. If the old shitbox gets fried by a bad component, oh well, it was a shitbox.

Also, agreed, it's 8600K+ or bust for you. What an agonizing time to have this sort of failure.

Figured it was more serious, but also that there was no harm in sounding out a logical consideration.

This is why it's nice to keep around an old shitbox you don't care about. You can test each component individually to see what still works. If the old shitbox gets fried by a bad component, oh well, it was a shitbox.

Also, agreed, it's 8600K+ or bust for you. What an agonizing time to have this sort of failure.
Yeah... unfortunately I am pretty sure we are in for a long drought on these too. Newegg doesn't even have a notify me when in stock option for it, like they usually do for sold out items. There are rumors it won't even be available until next year. At which point, we will probably only be like 4-5 months away from their new 8 core processors...

I kind of hate supporting Intel for this reason, since their new CPU's probably won't support the mobo's that the 8000's series run on. Seems like almost every generation requires a mobo upgrade, which is kind of ridiculous

Yeah... unfortunately I am pretty sure we are in for a long drought on these too. Newegg doesn't even have a notify me when in stock option for it, like they usually do for sold out items. There are rumors it won't even be available until next year. At which point, we will probably only be like 4-5 months away from their new 8 core processors...

I kind of hate supporting Intel for this reason, since their new CPU's probably won't support the mobo's that the 8000's series run on. Seems like almost every generation requires a mobo upgrade, which is kind of ridiculous
You could always buy one of the AIO CyberpowerPC or iBuyPower builds on Amazon, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy, and gut it for the internal components.

I was just looking at the new models last night. There were several models carrying the i5-8400 and i7-8700 CPUs in stock with multiple units. I didn't see any 8600K or 8700K models in stock, but it's probably your best chance. There's no pre-build overhead with companies like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC, after all.

But yeah, AMD aren't the only ones capable of irritating marketing. It's normal for these droughts in the first 1-2 months following a launch, but if this was all sham marketing to detract from Ryzen's immediate superiority until its actual readiness for launch (as previously reported) isn't achieved until the Q1 or later in 2018, then this will be one more massive blow to Intel's reputation. You don't get to "launch" the product to buy yourself 6 months until it's actually ready.

Thankfully for non-overclockers those i5-8400 units are out there. I'm equally irritated by the obvious 1-star review raids AMD is conducting on Amazon against the Coffee Lake processors. Go look at the 1-star reviews for the i5-8400 or other processors. It's sickening. It's so blatant.

I don't know what resolution you game at, but another option to Madmicks is to pick up something like a G4560 and a B350 board to pair with your current GPU to get you by until Coffee Lake supplies level off. With a G4560 and a 1050ti, I'm hitting at least 50fps at med-high settings at 1080 on most games. Here's the normal benchmarks.
B250 board for $42 AR and there's a Micro Center in Fairfax for the G4560 for $65. When it's time to sell, expect a 20% loss or keep it to make a 4k htpc machine.

@Madmick That's AMD fan boys for you. AMD does great with their marketing to that audience though with their "leaks" all the time.
edit: holy shit, I didn't realize it was that bad.

Last edited:
I don't know what resolution you game at, but another option to Madmicks is to pick up something like a G4560 and a B350 board to pair with your current GPU to get you by until Coffee Lake supplies level off. With a G4560 and a 1050ti, I'm hitting at least 50fps at med-high settings at 1080 on most games. Here's the normal benchmarks.
B250 board for $42 AR and there's a Micro Center in Fairfax for the G4560 for $65. When it's time to sell, expect a 20% loss or keep it to make a 4k htpc machine.

@Madmick That's AMD fan boys for you. AMD does great with their marketing to that audience though with their "leaks" all the time.
I have a 3440x1440 monitor and I think it's the best thing ever. Honestly, I'll probably just suffer through it though. i have a laptop I can game on if it becomes completely unusable, which is the way it's headed as the crashes seem to get more frequent.

I don't think those are fanboys. I think that is corporate sabotage. This has been exposed many times in the Amazon review section beginning about 15 years ago with publishers raiding other publisher's novels and trashing the books.

But Intel are the obnoxious company this month. Don't paper launch. Just don't.

Before people label me as an AND nuthugger I currently only run Intel boxes.

Let me explain thanks to competition Intel released 2 generation of Intel CPU's Kaby Lake and now coffee lake within a year.

Intel never acted on the consumers behalf all they worry about is big mainframe like systems. They are motivated by nothing more then profits.

You will notice the highest performance chips were always way above their mainstream lines. They were really not interested in gaming but selling insanely expensive Itanium chips. AMD forced Intel to upgrade their mainstream offering and with Opteron raised the bar on lower cost performance CPU lines. Intel really did not want to enter the performance mainstream business and was only interested in building expensive specialized CPU's.

AMD has done a huge favor for those of us who live in a real world who did not want a 3,500 dollar Itanium module for our 17,000 dollar desktop computer but lived in a world where 3,000 dollars was expensive for a computer. Nvidia also played a part in forcing Intel to respond to the changing landscape. I am rooting for AMD and Nvidia to keep the heat on Intel because if Intel where to force AMD out of the X86 CPU business it will be 5 to 10 years before we see any significant upgrade of Intel CPU lines.

I don't think those are fanboys. I think that is corporate sabotage. This has been exposed many times in the Amazon review section beginning about 15 years ago with publishers raiding other publisher's novels and trashing the books.

But Intel are the obnoxious company this month. Don't paper launch. Just don't.
I don't think it's AMD writing these reviews. AMD has always had a weird rabid fans base that pulls this type of stuff going back as far as I can remember. They're a lot like Apple fan boys, but they turn it up to 11.
AMD doesn't even really need to market anything, they could get away with "leaking" info and their fan base would a great job of spreading it on the Internet.

I don't think it's AMD writing these reviews. AMD has always had a weird rabid fans base that pulls this type of stuff going back as far as I can remember. They're a lot like Apple fan boys, but they turn it up to 11.
AMD doesn't even really need to market anything, they could get away with "leaking" info and their fan base would a great job of spreading it on the Internet.
It might not be, but I don't know about that. I'm not sure I've noticed a stronger culture of fanboyism one way or the other, myself.

I had this problem, tried so many dif things. I would get hard crashes all the time. I thought it was PSU. I downgraded to win 7 from win 10 and now my pc works just fine.

People keep harping on AMD fanboyisum but AMD was the first to bring 64 bit microprocessor to market in fact Intel licensed the AMD 64 bit instructions from AMD. AMD also was the first to bring really decent level SOC's to market. There is still a rumor that Intel is still working with AMD to incorporate their Vega GPU architecture to an advance SOC module Intel is developing. People are wondering what VEGA inside means and if this is reference to AMD Vega GPU. So yeah obviously blatant fanboyisum.

Intel-Mobile-Processors-AMD-Vega-Graphics-Inside-1030x783.png

http://wccftech.com/intel-mobile-processors-amd-vega-inside/

People keep harping on AMD fanboyisum but AMD was the first to bring 64 bit microprocessor to market in fact Intel licensed the AMD 64 bit instructions from AMD. AMD also was the first to bring really decent level SOC's to market. There is still a rumor that Intel is still working with AMD to incorporate their Vega GPU architecture to an advance SOC module Intel is developing. People are wondering what VEGA inside means and if this is reference to AMD Vega GPU. So yeah obviously blatant fanboyisum.

Intel-Mobile-Processors-AMD-Vega-Graphics-Inside-1030x783.png

http://wccftech.com/intel-mobile-processors-amd-vega-inside/

And without Intel's x86 instruction set that AMD licenses, AMD would be up a creek without a paddle. If either one decided to stop licensing to each other, cpu production would come to halt and we'd be left with ARM and maybe Via.
I'd love to see Intel step up their integrated graphics game but it appears the Intel Vega APU is still wishful thinking

This campaign was plastered all over Intel’s offices, using a format of “[employee name] Inside, [employee department] outside,” aimed at reinventing Intel and showcasing their employees, and everything they’ve accomplished. It just so happens that a person with the first name Vega works at Intel, or at least, they did at the time of this campaign, in some aspect of their mobile computing department.

intellifts.jpg

It seems someone with a keen eye edited an old picture featuring the pre-Vega campaign, and the (human) Vega specifically, to imply a partnership between the rival companies. I’m sure (human) Vega has heard it all before since AMD’s latest graphics card arrived on the scene and, unfortunately for us, this means Intel and AMD are still strictly competitors.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-amd-vega-mobile-cpu

I'm curious to see what happens with AMD's new upcoming apu's, they might get delayed even longer. It's rumored that the reason we don't have AIB Vega cards is because of HBM2 shortages.

Last edited:
A couple Ryzen mobile apu's have been revealed.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700U
# of CPU Cores - 4
# of Threads - 8
# of GPU Cores - 10
Base Clock Speed - 2.2GHz
Max Turbo Core Speed - 3.8GHz
Total L2 Cache - 2MB
Unlocked - No
CMOS - 14nm
PCI Express Version - PCIe 3.0
Default TDP / TDP - 15W
cTDP 12-25W
Graphics Frequency - 1300 MHz
Graphics Model - Radeon™ Vega¹⁰ Processor Graphics
Graphics Core Count - 10

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
# of CPU Cores - 4
# of Threads - 8
# of GPU Cores - 8
Base Clock Speed - 2GHz
Max Turbo Core Speed - 3.6GHz
Total L2 Cache - 2MB
Unlocked - No
CMOS - 14nm
Default TDP / TDP - 15W
cTDP - 12-25W
Graphics Frequency - 1100 MHz
Graphics Model - Radeon™ Vega⁸ Processor Graphics
Graphics Core Count - 8

http://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-2700u

A couple Ryzen mobile apu's have been revealed.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700U
# of CPU Cores - 4
# of Threads - 8
# of GPU Cores - 10
Base Clock Speed - 2.2GHz
Max Turbo Core Speed - 3.8GHz
Total L2 Cache - 2MB
Unlocked - No
CMOS - 14nm
Default TDP / TDP - 15W
cTDP 12-25W
Graphics Frequency - 1300 MHz
Graphics Model - Radeon™ Vega¹⁰ Processor Graphics
Graphics Core Count - 10

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
# of CPU Cores - 4
# of Threads - 8
# of GPU Cores - 8
Base Clock Speed - 2GHz
Max Turbo Core Speed - 3.6GHz
Total L2 Cache - 2MB
Unlocked - No
CMOS - 14nm
Default TDP / TDP - 15W
cTDP - 12-25W
Graphics Frequency - 1100 MHz
Graphics Model - Radeon™ Vega⁸ Processor Graphics
Graphics Core Count - 8

http://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-2700u
If they can bring that Ryzen 7 2700U to laptops that are ~$800 and under, maybe they would find a space, but I doubt it. Their top APU always ends up exclusively in laptops that start at $1K and above.

The Intel i7-xxxxHQ series + NVIDIA GTX 10 Pascal Mobile offerings are just too damn strong for that-- with the Acer Predator Helios 300 @$1050 the clear benchmark to beat.

If they can bring that Ryzen 7 2700U to laptops that are ~$800 and under, maybe they would find a space, but I doubt it. Their top APU always ends up exclusively in laptops that start at $1K and above.

The Intel i7-xxxxHQ series + NVIDIA GTX 10 Pascal Mobile offerings are just too damn strong for that-- with the Acer Predator Helios 300 @$1050 the clear benchmark to beat.
The gpu is the big question. It looks like it's going to be beefy, but who knows with AMD.
Clock for clock it's right there with the 7700hq but with a lower TDP, 45w vs 25w.
HBM2 supply has also been brought into question since Vega launched. Maybe they're holding back supply on the Vega 56 & 64 for these APU's. I'm assuming these chips are being targeted to ultra books.

The gpu is the big question. It looks like it's going to be beefy, but who knows with AMD.
Clock for clock it's right there with the 7700hq but with a lower TDP, 45w vs 25w.
HBM2 supply has also been brought into question since Vega launched. Maybe they're holding back supply on the Vega 56 & 64 for these APU's. I'm assuming these chips are being targeted to ultra books.
Problem is that clock for clock still has AMD trailing significantly; after all, the closest clock for clock analogue in the desktop world at stock would be the Ryzen 5 1500X to the i7-7700. Problem after that is that these chips haven't even debuted yet, so there true competitor won't be the i7-7700HQ, but the i7-8700HQ (or whatever they call the high-powered Cannon Lake mobile chip) once it drops.

Meanwhile, on the GPU side, not a chance this matches the discrete NVIDIA GPUs in laptops. Their APUs have never come close, and the distance is greater than ever with Pascal Mobile & Max-Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.