Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Forza-7-RX-Vega-64-GTX-1080-Ti-1080p-ComputerBase.png

Forza-7-RX-Vega-64-GTX-1080-Ti-1440p-ComputerBase-2.png

"In quite a shocking turn of events AMD’s RX Vega 64 manages to outpace NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Ti by up to 23% in the upcoming DirectX 12 ready Forza 7. The racing game officially debuts next Tuesday, 3rd of October on PC but folks over at ComputerBase.de managed to get their hands on it early to run their usual graphics performance tests and the results were surprising to say the least. So without any further ado let’s dig into the numbers."

It looks good for AMD's RX Vega 64 with some games.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-vega-64-outperforms-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-23-dx12-forza-7/

"In quite a shocking turn of events AMD’s RX Vega 64 manages to outpace NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Ti by up to 23% in the upcoming DirectX 12 ready Forza 7. The racing game officially debuts next Tuesday, 3rd of October on PC but folks over at ComputerBase.de managed to get their hands on it early to run their usual graphics performance tests and the results were surprising to say the least. So without any further ado let’s dig into the numbers."

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-vega-64-outperforms-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-23-dx12-forza-7/
Perhaps a deal between AMD and MS to give optimization priority over nvidia?

good lord...

Perhaps a deal between AMD and MS to give optimization priority over nvidia?
This game was specifically designed for DX12 and AMD hardware (Scorpio) so it's no surprise that it performs well on the AMD graphics cards imo

See these are the kind of misleading charts you have to look out for. When you go to their website, notice wccftech aren't running the benchmark. They aren't making the claim, and they will defend themselves later when this doesn't pan out (and I'm about 95% sure this isn't going to be close to true.) This is just AMD doing some sneaky advertising. Nvidia does it all the time too, pushing out charts and "leaks" a month before the cards come out showing hard to believe gains.

On a side note, has anyone even really run anything in DX12 yet? I have tried a couple of games in DX12 and it has yet to go well.

I just finished my Ryzen 5 1600X upgrade (not a full build, still keeping my dual HD6950s for now) and am happy with it so far. I do some 3D modelling and the improvements from my old i7 920 were really noticeable. Certain complex commands were taking maybe a third of the time and I wasn't getting any slowdown when doing basic operations despite working with a ~300mb save. I also do some 3D printing and the slicing of even complex models takes just a couple seconds, with simple stuff seeming to happen almost instantly. For example I just sliced a model into a 76,000 line g-code file and it took maybe one second to calculate.

Last edited:
I just finished my Ryzen 5 1600X upgrade (not a full build, still keeping my dual HD6950s for now) and am happy with it so far. I do some 3D modelling and the improvements from my old i7 920 were really noticeable. Certain complex commands were taking maybe a third of the time and I wasn't getting any slowdown when doing basic operations despite working with a ~300mb save. I also do some 3D printing and the slicing of even complex models takes takes just a couple seconds, with simple stuff seeming to happen almost instantly. For example I just sliced a model into a 76,000 line g-code file and it took maybe one second to calculate.
What printer do you have?

Vega 56 hitting the 72fps limit on 8k

What printer do you have?
MakerGear M2 Rev.E with duel extruder upgrade and a custom enclosure with LED lighting, plexiglass front, air-purified vent, and external power switches.
3D printer.JPG

Last edited:
Recently switched to Ryzen and will be switching to Coffee Lake soon after launch. It loses by 20-40% versus my previous i7 6700k in most Unreal Engine games (at least from UE2 - UE4), Source games, and others at 2560 x 1440. Does well in better optimized games and video editing but the 8700k delidded and overclocked will be a good all around CPU.

Hopefully NVIDIA sorts their Ryzen specific driver issues out and AMD gets infinity fabric running 1:1 with DRAM speeds for the February 2018 refresh, along with higher frequencies, but that's asking for a lot.

Recently switched to Ryzen and will be switching to Coffee Lake soon after launch. It loses by 20-40% versus my previous i7 6700k in most Unreal Engine games (at least from UE2 - UE4), Source games, and others at 2560 x 1440. Does well in better optimized games and video editing but the 8700k delidded and overclocked will be a good all around CPU.

Hopefully NVIDIA sorts their Ryzen specific driver issues out and AMD gets infinity fabric running 1:1 with DRAM speeds for the February 2018 refresh, along with higher frequencies, but that's asking for a lot.

wait why would you do this? lol

wait why would you do this? lol
??

He just explained why, Ghost.
  1. He's clearly an NVIDIA gamer (for his GPU), but NVIDIA suffers driver issues when coupled with Ryzen processors-- probably not a coincidence those don't get top priority. He mentioned the specific titles (those games he probably plays) where his current Ryzen is already 20% slower than his previous 6700K processor.
  2. Meanwhile, reference to delidded processors indicates he's not just an overclocker, but an extreme/advanced overclocker who may be interested in the extreme advantage gained by Intel when you exploit this additional headroom. Ryzen is incredibly attractive to budget overclockers because the stock cooler itself on most processors is enough to hit at least 3.7GHz safely when there is a ~4.1GHz wall regardless of how expensive or extreme your overclocking cooling is for those processors. When you couple this will AMD's already huge advantage in terms of value per overall horsepower you see why the R3-1200, R5-1600, and R7-1700 have become so popular. However, for those guys who are willing to spend money on more expensive aftermarket solutions for the top tier gaming performance, the 5.2GHz ceiling on Intel's processors (that already have a huge IPC advantage) is far, far more attractive.
  3. His comment that the 8700K will be a good "all around CPU" indicates that he probably also does some kind of editing work. In other words, his dissatisfaction with the 6700K versus Ryzen was likely that it wasn't keeping up for his professional work. The 8700K will be hexacore, so its editing capability will be far, far above the 6700K, but it won't sacrifice that gaming potential that he is giving up with the Ryzen.

??

He just explained why, Ghost.
  1. He's clearly an NVIDIA gamer (for his GPU), but NVIDIA suffers driver issues when coupled with Ryzen processors-- probably not a coincidence those don't get top priority. He mentioned the specific titles (those games he probably plays) where his current Ryzen is already 20% slower than his previous 6700K processor.
  2. Meanwhile, reference to delidded processors indicates he's not just an overclocker, but an extreme/advanced overclocker who may be interested in the extreme advantage gained by Intel when you exploit this additional headroom. Ryzen is incredibly attractive to budget overclockers because the stock cooler itself on most processors is enough to hit at least 3.7GHz safely when there is a ~4.1GHz wall regardless of how expensive or extreme your overclocking cooling is for those processors. When you couple this will AMD's already huge advantage in terms of value per overall horsepower you see why the R3-1200, R5-1600, and R7-1700 have become so popular. However, for those guys who are willing to spend money on more expensive aftermarket solutions for the top tier gaming performance, the 5.2GHz ceiling on Intel's processors (that already have a huge IPC advantage) is far, far more attractive.
  3. His comment that the 8700K will be a good "all around CPU" indicates that he probably also does some kind of editing work. In other words, his dissatisfaction with the 6700K versus Ryzen was likely that it wasn't keeping up for his professional work. The 8700K will be hexacore, so its editing capability will be far, far above the 6700K, but it won't sacrifice that gaming potential that he is giving up with the Ryzen.
fair enough point, im looking at getting the 8700k myself, but those new ice lakes rumors will piss me off to the max if i buy a 8700k.

fair enough point, im looking at getting the 8700k myself, but those new ice lakes rumors will piss me off to the max if i buy a 8700k.
I wouldn't rush out and buy the 8700k at release unless you really need to upgrade. Rumors are there's a z390 chip set coming out in the second half of 2018 supporting an 8/16 processor. The better chip set will probably give a bump in overclocking performance as well.

I wouldn't rush out and buy the 8700k at release unless you really need to upgrade. Rumors are there's a z390 chip set coming out in the second half of 2018 supporting an 8/16 processor. The better chip set will probably give a bump in overclocking performance as well.

ugh, i need to get rid of this fx-8350.

if i have to hold this processor ill just get a 1080ti

On a side note...

TESLA just signed a deal with AMD last week.. Intel and Nvidia are outraged.

Apparently AMD will be providing TESLA with self driving AI chips

On a side note...

TESLA just signed a deal with AMD last week.. Intel and Nvidia are outraged.

Apparently AMD will be providing TESLA with self driving AI chips

That's not really surprising. Jim Keller ls working at Tesla now.

@Madmick, you're on top of the processor news bruv, much respect to you.

Looks like i'm on the i7-8700k train, choo choo!

That's not really surprising. Jim Keller ls working at Tesla now.
Penning in a deal with TESLA is huge.. All of my TESLA related stock is up. Purchased shares with AMD immediately.

AMD really seems to be the outcast within the CPU/GPU and AI industry that nobody wants to acknowledge. Even though the quality of product and performance of it is top notch.

It's no surprise that TESLA contacted AMD for a much cheaper contract.. and this is going to be huge for AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.