Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree but the chip going to be sold out for months if you don't get it early. I get the feeling from the hype train this thing going to be even harder to get then a cabbage patch kid. :) I don't see where AMD does not sell a million of these things in the first month. The 1700X is the one I am interested in even though it's on the higher side of things it seems to hold it's own with the Intel i7-6900K. And no I don't own stock in the company I just know that AMD could put out an amazing product once they got their act together.

Wccftech Cores/Threads L3 TDP Base Turbo XFR Overclocking
Unlocked
Price
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.6GHz 4.0GHz 4.0GHz+ Yes $489
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $389
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8/16 16MB 65W 3.0GHz 3.7GHz N/A Yes $319
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6/12 16MB 95W 3.3GHz 3.7GHz 3.7GHz+ Yes $259
AMD Ryzen 5 1500 6/12 16MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $229
AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4/8 8MB 65W 3.5GHz 3.9GHz 3.9GHz+ Yes $199
AMD Ryzen 5 1300 4/8 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $175
AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4/4 8MB 65W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $149
AMD Ryzen 3 1100 4/4 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $129

It looks like the Ryzen 5 1500 and Ryzen 5 1700 are going to be the biggest sellers. Extra 30 dolars for 2 more cores seems like a no brainer but having the higher clock speed of the 1400X may influence people.

EDIT: I am still leaning more towards Nvidia as I just got a new Nvidia GPU for cheap money the 1050 ti and it's a substantial improvement over my 4 year old GPU. So very likely I will be going for the 1070 for my new build.
The 1800x would be my choice probably. Going to be interesting to see how much the new motherboards go for now that they support new stuff like NVME and DDR4 etc.
And yeah, I'm kinda stuck with Nvidia still. Partly me still not trusting them to write decent software, and partly because I still use some applications that have very solid CUDA support and VERY shaky OpenCL support, and having kernel panics in the middle of a 4 hour render job is just no fun.

RGB stock coolers. Really?
It appears they're sticking with lower frequencies but more cores. Austin Evans video showed a group of OC'ers hitting 5.1ghz on liquid nitrogen.

Last edited:
Seems like these will be pretty good then? I was wanting to build a new computer and this was something to wait for, or so I was told. I don't even remember if I ever had anything other than a Intel CPU tbh. Those benchmarks seem nice.

I dont know what I'll do for a GPU yet. I might just wait til later this year because I am not in any rush at all.

Could I continue using my 290X GPU in any new motherboard I'd get for the AMD CPU, until I'd replace the GPU later this year?

Last edited:
RGB stock coolers. Really?
It appears they're sticking with lower frequencies but more cores. Austin Evans video showed a group of OC'ers hitting 5.1ghz on liquid nitrogen.

There in lies my concern. Single core performance still matters in a wide range of applications, including gaming. AMD made the bet the more cores would win out in the past....and they lost. They seem to be sticking to that. Granted from the synthetic benchmarks the single core performance is not that far behind at all, but we have yet to see real world tests.

The 1800x would be my choice probably. Going to be interesting to see how much the new motherboards go for now that they support new stuff like NVME and DDR4 etc.
And yeah, I'm kinda stuck with Nvidia still. Partly me still not trusting them to write decent software, and partly because I still use some applications that have very solid CUDA support and VERY shaky OpenCL support, and having kernel panics in the middle of a 4 hour render job is just no fun.
The pre orders are up on newegg and amazon, if you want an 1800x there's still some available.

Last edited:
There in lies my concern. Single core performance still matters in a wide range of applications, including gaming. AMD made the bet the more cores would win out in the past....and they lost. They seem to be sticking to that. Granted from the synthetic benchmarks the single core performance is not that far behind at all, but we have yet to see real world tests.
I was thinking the same thing. Having to use LN to hit 5ghz is an eyebrow raiser for sure, but maybe they really are that much better so they don't need the higher clock speeds.
Who knows. Hopefully we get reviews soon.
I'm kind of surprised they came out with high end stuff first. I figured they would have at least introduced a mid tier chip, something around an i5 equivalent. I was hoping for a i3 level chip, I need to update my htpc.

Renamed the thread now that the line has been launched. Figured @PEB 's thread serves well for official discussion now that this launch is making the biggest waves for an AMD release in several years. I posted one of my above posts in the PC thread before realizing that everyone was posting the Zen info here.
Yeah, from the synthetics, it looks like we can expect Intel 7700K to still be ahead about 12% at @respective stock frequency per core according to AMD's own offered synthetics.

That's big, but that isn't much, especially not considering the massive price premium that Intel places on its 8+ core processors (e.g. 6900K, 6950X, Xeon processors). I was skeptical until I saw that Cinebench record go down. Yeah, nobody on an air cooler or pre-built AIO liquid cooler is going to sniff 5.2GHz, but you gotta admit, this simple fact has to be a surefire indication that today's launch just radically reshaped the CPU landscape.

After all, the multiprocessor score, even allowing AMD to benefit from the world's best overclocking expertise, was a refuge of objectivity where AMD's disappointing past fudging on what turned out to be glorified repackaged releases was a lie that couldn't hold up. The wall for every "Top Scores" benchmark out there (from Cinebench to 3DMark to Passmark to Geekbench) became monopolized by Intel i7's. They could roll out all the bullshit charts they wanted at launch, but they weren't even making the front several f***ing pages when you would peruse leaderboards.

I mean, it would be one thing if Intel hadn't yet release Kaby Lake, and AMD did this with that hanging over their (and our) heads, not sure what the leviathan Intel might bring to the table to slap down their mightiest effort to eke out some victory. But no. Kaby Lake just dropped, and what did it bring? Virtually nothing. It's basically a 3%-6% improvement. It was such a pitiful improvement for them that it caused Ars Technica (Ars motherfucking Technica!) to declare the desktop CPU "dead".

AMD apparently didn't get that memo. They've just been crowned CPU kings on the heels of an Intel generational release. This is fucking mindblowing.

Coupled with their newly added relevance in the m.2 and DDR4 games, we will literally see people actually buying AMD blueprints built on PC Part Picker starting today, I expect.

*Edit* That's if this is all legit. It appears unverified, and I've been looking through results this morning. Could just be more hype. Sigh. I'm still seeing the i7-5960X holding that record:
http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cinebench_-_r15/rankings?cores=8#start=0#interval=20

Last edited:
I built a PC about 2 years ago. Back then it was a bit middle-of-the-road but it has served me well until nowadays for newer games I can't typically run them at 60+ fps on high settings. Was thinking about getting a new PC in the summer, but might now wait until the winter when all of these things are released and the performance and stuff is all looked into. I'm not looking for the biggest baddest PC but I do want a pretty significant upgrade from what I have now and AMD looks like they are going to have what I want.

I built a PC about 2 years ago. Back then it was a bit middle-of-the-road but it has served me well until nowadays for newer games I can't typically run them at 60+ fps on high settings. Was thinking about getting a new PC in the summer, but might now wait until the winter when all of these things are released and the performance and stuff is all looked into. I'm not looking for the biggest baddest PC but I do want a pretty significant upgrade from what I have now and AMD looks like they are going to have what I want.
For less than $1,000 you can build a decent system if you go r7 1700 and a B350 motherboard.

AMD and Intel are very different companies. Intel mostly focus on business customers on their high end. They know enthusiast will pay the high price but they really don't see a need to fight for the consumer.

To them there will be a lot more people buying i5's and i7 then extreme stuff. The problem now is consumers can buy 6 core 12 thread cpu's for less money then the quad core Intel.

But more to the point a larger group of people will buy 8 core 16 thread CPU's from AMD. It will all but dry up Intel's business at the higher end.

Sure Intel will continue to sell huge amounts of quad cores but AMD will win back a bulk of cpu business from Intel.

According to Amazon AMD Ryzen is already the best selling CPU. Topping the charts with who would have guessed the 1800X and 1700X.

https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-7-cpus-amazon-best-sellers-list/amp/

Renamed the thread now that the line has been launched. Figured @PEB 's thread serves well for official discussion now that this launch is making the biggest waves for an AMD release in several years. I posted one of my above posts in the PC thread before realizing that everyone was posting the Zen info here.

Yeah, from the synthetics, it looks like we can expect Intel 7700K to still be ahead about 12% at @respective stock frequency per core according to AMD's own offered synthetics.

That's big, but that isn't much, especially not considering the massive price premium that Intel places on its 8+ core processors (e.g. 6900K, 6950X, Xeon processors). I was skeptical until I saw that Cinebench record go down. Yeah, nobody on an air cooler or pre-built AIO liquid cooler is going to sniff 5.2GHz, but you gotta admit, this simple fact has to be a surefire indication that today's launch just radically reshaped the CPU landscape.

After all, the multiprocessor score, even allowing AMD to benefit from the world's best overclocking expertise, was a refuge of objectivity where AMD's disappointing past fudging on what turned out to be glorified repackaged releases was a lie that couldn't hold up. The wall for every "Top Scores" benchmark out there (from Cinebench to 3DMark to Passmark to Geekbench) became monopolized by Intel i7's. They could roll out all the bullshit charts they wanted at launch, but they weren't even making the front several f***ing pages when you would peruse leaderboards.

I mean, it would be one thing if Intel hadn't yet release Kaby Lake, and AMD did this with that hanging over their (and our) heads, not sure what the leviathan Intel might bring to the table to slap down their mightiest effort to eke out some victory. But no. Kaby Lake just dropped, and what did it bring? Virtually nothing. It's basically a 3%-6% improvement. It was such a pitiful improvement for them that it caused Ars Technica (Ars motherfucking Technica!) to declare the desktop CPU "dead".

AMD apparently didn't get that memo. They've just been crowned CPU kings on the heels of an Intel generational release. This is fucking mindblowing.

Coupled with their newly added relevance in the m.2 and DDR4 games, we will literally see people actually buying AMD blueprints built on PC Part Picker starting today, I expect.

*Edit* That's if this is all legit. It appears unverified, and I've been looking through results this morning. Could just be more hype. Sigh. I'm still seeing the i7-5960X holding that record:
http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cinebench_-_r15/rankings?cores=8#start=0#interval=20

Everything is looking better and better for AMD. I can't wait to see what the lower cost Ryzen CPUs will offer. Right now the i5 is still the king gaming CPU for around $200. What will AMD offer at that price?

Funny, with Intel offering the new Pentium with hyperthreading for less then $100 a little while ago and AMD releasing the higher end CPUs first, Intel might be the budget option while AMD dominates the high end. Oh, how things change.

Last edited:
I must admit I had no idea AMD were even still around until I saw all the announcements this morning. Anyway looks very promising and also, the rise in their share price over the last 12 months shows it too...

Amazon is offering the 1700 and an Asus Prime x370 pro board for $500.

I almost got that bundle but I wanted a better motherboard so went with the msi pro gaming one.

Everything is looking better and better for AMD. I can't wait to see what the lower cost Ryzen CPUs will offer. Right now the i5 is still the king gaming CPU for around $200. What will AMD offer at that price?

Funny, it Intel offering the new Pentium with hyperthreading for less then $100 a little while ago and AMD releasing the higher end CPUs first, Intel might be the budget option while AMD dominates the high end. Oh, how things change.

I seen rumors Vega is supposed to be released on May 2nd. Jayz2cents has said that AMD told him that it will be an early Q2 release.

I almost got that bundle but I wanted a better motherboard so went with the msi pro gaming one.
That's a sexy looking board. I like the RGB glowing on the edge by the ram.
That's a weird battery location, I don't think I've ever seen one that high up on a board before. I wonder what that header is to the right of the battery.
13-144-017-V01.jpg

I seen rumors Vega is supposed to be released on May 2nd. Jayz2cents has said that AMD told him that it will be an early Q2 release.

That's a weird battery location, I don't think I've ever seen one that high up on a board before. I wonder what that header is to the right of the battery.
13-144-017-V01.jpg
that board, with the stock cooler having rgb, and the trdent z rgb ram I'm installing will make the prettiest build I've done.

Edit: I also bought a pair of rx 480 8gb that have rgb led's. Can't wait to show it off even if nobody's impressed by it but me.

As for the battery location, I've never seen one that high up either. I wonder if it matters or if its a "wherever it fits" sort of thing.

13-144-017-V01.jpg

i really want a RGB board, but i also want the most powerful lol

Status
Not open for further replies.