Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rise of the Tomb Raider released a Ryzen performance patch.
Someone run the benchmark at 1080p maxed and report back please @Slobodan @TSO @PEB
From pcper,

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

tr-1.png

tr-2.png

Good overview of the Threadripper VS Intel 18 core i9 CPU. A lot of reviewers think the same way as Jay does about Intel's newest offerings.

Price for the Ryzen ASUS laptop is 1700 dollars for the 1080P screen.

Alienware is working on a 12 core 24 thread version of their laptop. Apparently it's a custom version of a AMD threadripper for laptops and Alienware is the first vendor with it in a product. But it goes to show how competitive AMD wants to become to Intel.

Alienware is working on a 12 core 24 thread version of their laptop. Apparently it's a custom version of a AMD threadripper for laptops and Alienware is the first vendor with it in a product. But it goes to show how competitive AMD wants to become to Intel.
Once again
giphy.gif

if your watching the pc gamer show, you'd probably feel like a douche bag. lol they havent shut up about intel
What do you need 24 cores on a laptop for? Right now @GhostZ06, what are you doing even on your desktop rig that requires 24 cores?
Battery life is going to be horrendous, it's going to be plugged in more than it will be running off of battery power. The heat it's going to give off will be insane. That's unless they drop the clock speeds way down, which would be stupid. I'd rather have less cores with a higher clock speed than a bunch of lower clocked cores.
Intel has definitely gone full retard with x299, I won't argue with that.

What do you need 24 cores on a laptop for? Right now @GhostZ06, what are you doing even on your desktop rig that requires 24 cores?
Battery life is going to be horrendous, it's going to be plugged in more than it will be running off of battery power. The heat it's going to give off will be insane. That's unless they drop the clock speeds way down, which would be stupid. I'd rather have less cores with a higher clock speed than a bunch of lower clocked cores.

I think it''s not so much about battery issues it''s about people who travel a lot an produce video content on the road.

Even though it''s Alienware they are going more and more into productivity applications then focus on gaming.

Being able to render 4K or 8k video within a reasonable production time frame. These things helps people to speed and production and playback.

I have actually seen people with 8K Red video cameras on the road with them and they are YouTube V-bloggers. Overkill likely but any advantage they are seeking.

The Red 8k camera body alone is 50 grand and adding adapters and additional hardware your well into to 75,000 range. This is just for one camera so being able to edit content on the road is key and smaller CPU''s don't make rendering easy.

http://www.filmtools.com/red-weapon...oFrXjyDJgEetjLv_G-jkCsrLa5YcDX__JxRoCtt7w_wcB

if your watching the pc gamer show, you'd probably feel like a douche bag. lol they havent shut up about intel
The Intel Kaby lake X list has been released. After looking at it, there is some head scratchers but it's being blown out of proportion.
The i5-7640x and i7-7740x are pointless, they're 4/8 core. I'm just going to treat them like they don't exist because they're pointless. That gets rid of the only having dual channel ram, all the processors above that support quad channel ram.
So the only difference in the line is the bottom 2, i7-7800x and i7-7820x only have 28 pcie lanes. The rest have 44. That's a head scratcher.
The pay for raid is bullshit though.

The Intel Kaby lake X list has been released. After looking at it, there is some head scratchers but it's being blown out of proportion.
The i5-7640x and i7-7740x are pointless, they're 4/8 core. I'm just going to treat them like they don't exist because they're pointless. That gets rid of the only having dual channel ram, all the processors above that support quad channel ram.
So the only difference in the line is the bottom 2, i7-7800x and i7-7820x only have 28 pcie lanes. The rest have 44. That's a head scratcher.
The pay for raid is bullshit though.

im not sure what im gonna get yet. And why the fuck is the Vega card so expensive?

im not sure what im gonna get yet. And why the fuck is the Vega card so expensive?
The card they released is their Titan competitor. I'm assuming they're releasing their top dog and then they'll fill the gap. They really need a 1440 high settings card in their lineup.
If you're just going to game and stream, I'd go with an 1800x over x299 or x399. It has more than enough cores at a decent clock speed. It has more than enough pci-e lanes for a sli/crossfire setup. The difference for dual vs quad memory is negligible in real world performance.
It depends on what price Thread Ripper comes in at also.
The boards are going to be more expensive also. Another price addition might be a cpu cooler if they don't include a decent one. That's a big ass cpu, aftermarket coolers are probably going to be a little more expensive. You can throw a hyper 212 on a x99 or x299 board, it wouldn't even cover a Thread Ripper.

Last edited:
The card they released is their Titan competitor. I'm assuming they're releasing their top dog and then they'll fill the gap. They really need a 1440 high settings card in their lineup.
If you're just going to game and stream, I'd go with an 1800x over x299 or x399. It has more than enough cores at a decent clock speed. It has more than enough pci-e lanes for a sli/crossfire setup. The difference for dual vs quad memory is negligible in real world performance.
It depends on what price Thread Ripper comes in at also.
The boards are going to be more expensive also. Another price addition might be a cpu cooler if they don't include a decent one. That's a big ass cpu, aftermarket coolers are probably going to be a little more expensive. You can throw a hyper 212 on a x99 or x299 board, it wouldn't even cover a Thread Ripper.

so what about 1080ti compedititor? BTW i liked ur old AV...

so what about 1080ti compedititor? BTW i liked ur old AV...
I have nothing to back this up, but at this point I think 1440 is more popular than 4k. 1080p is still king of the hill by a large margin though. Steam's hardware survey shows 70% of people still game at 720 or 1080.
They really need to fill in their product range, unless they said fuck it and they're going to wait for Volta to be released.

It's the same with Ryzen R3 and APU's
wheres-the-beef1.jpg

I have nothing to back this up, but at this point I think 1440 is more popular than 4k. 1080p is still king of the hill by a large margin though. Steam's hardware survey shows 70% of people still game at 720 or 1080.
They really need to fill in their product range, unless they said fuck it and they're going to wait for Volta to be released.

It's the same with Ryzen R3 and APU's
wheres-the-beef1.jpg

id like to consider VEGA but...

im planning on pushing over to 4k

I hear very low production yield. They are throwing away a lot of chips on the production line.

They don't want people to buy them till they work out production issues I would imagine. At least this is what some think.

Nvidia has said their HBM2 part costs them 3 billion dollars to develop. I would imagine much of that went towards testing vs development.

These chips are far and away the biggest chips ever developed by both companies. A lot of bugs in these monster chips.

I guess Rise of the tomb raider developers found a good solution to exploiting additional cores without major rewrite of the code. They have seen a 28 percent improvement in gaming performance on an Ryzen 1800. They also make use of more cores then quad so more cores means even faster performance.

Detailed in hot hardware they talk about breaking up into smaller tasks and optimizing the scheduler to improve efficiency.

EPYC is even more substantial then Ryzen. Intel had no idea this was coming with the ability to support 64 pcie lanes and 8 channel memory. Most boards support 64 gigabytes of memory right out of the gate.

HP/DellEMC support it with their new servers.

Do you have any idea the amount of multitasking I can do on a 17" screen?

/s

Just got done putting an 1800x in my main machine, so far so good. Just finishing up reinstalling everything so haven't had time to play on it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.