Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there new benchmarks?
No. Hence my turgid cucumber.

ng3resize.jpg

2 more days till it goes on sale

CRY_kcoUYAAvr0A.jpg

When you do research on a part you plan on buying, do you just go to the tech reviewers and that's it? Or do you look at product ratings from the sellers and look at forums also?

So the ect. are product ratings.

I look at as much as I can. I have not seen issues with ASRock or MSI motherboards any more then any other board manufacture. Recently a lot of X99 motherboards have had issues across the just about every manufacture, save for EVGA. In X99 right now they may lack some of the higher end features but they seem the most solid. Across the rest there is little issues outside some the older boards for AMD.

Kinda pissed that my PRE ORDERED hardware isn't getting here the day of release and instead will be shipped then. Next time ill just go to frys.

Kinda pissed that my PRE ORDERED hardware isn't getting here the day of release and instead will be shipped then. Next time ill just go to frys.
Damn that sucks

What's odd about these benchmarks is multi-threading AMD 1700X completely destroyed the i7-6800k in multi-threading tests. Gaming is a good bar for many ways to evaluate performance but I think it tends to favor fewer then 6 cores more like 4 cores. I think the more cores the AMD Ryzen will shine big time.

The B350 board I ordered won't be here till the end of next week but the guy at the store told me they should be getting the X370 boards tomorrow so I'll pick one up then when it arrives (hopefully).

The CPU will be available tomorrow for sure though.

My stuff is apparently sitting at the amazon sorting facility until the official release date. Hopefully tomorrow will be nothing but building but I'm not holding my breath.

My stuff is apparently sitting at the amazon sorting facility until the official release date. Hopefully tomorrow will be nothing but building but I'm not holding my breath.
There won't be any motherboards here till next week, there is only one store that has an AM4 motherboard available but it's over $450...

<35>

Major price war coming according to sources within Intel. Intel stock took a 17% drop on the news and many outlets have already dropped the price on Intel chips. The thing is I am kinda excited for AMD because it keeps Intel from owning the market and keeps prices more affordable for everyone.

Major price war coming according to sources within Intel. Intel stock took a 17% drop on the news and many outlets have already dropped the price on Intel chips. The thing is I am kinda excited for AMD because it keeps Intel from owning the market and keeps prices more affordable for everyone.
Good times ahead, we need competition.

Gotta wonder what will be next for AMD GPU's, this Ryzen thing looks good, might get my next system based on it.

LTT's video showed Crysis 3, Deus ex mankind divided, and Rise of the Tomb Raider all at 4k. The 1800x is running only a couple frames faster than a 7700k.

Looks like a great CPU for workloads, but overpriced and not worth it for gaming.

So what my takeaway is from reading a bunch of reviews, for gaming purposes the 7700k (6900k is out of my budget for a CPU), is still a better purchase?

quote: HardwareCanucks
Neither of these games allow Ryzen to catch much of a break but they do highlight why I’ve repeated time and again that Intel’s i5-series processors are absolute gangbusters in the gaming price / performance category. They may not have all those fancy cores but their lack of hyper threading leads to substantially better resource allocation in many games. Perhaps DX12 will change this situation in some way but right now, buying an 8-thread or higher processor exclusively for gaming is a phenomenal waste of money.

So what my takeaway is from reading a bunch of reviews, for gaming purposes the 7700k (6900k is out of my budget for a CPU), is still a better purchase?

For gaming your best bet is an i5. No reason to go with an i7 unless you also have some multi-threaded workloads to do as well.

A game developer explained that Intel benefits from CPU optimizations on some gaming benchmarks and that Ryzen numbers should or will improve overtime. These early tests have not had highly optimized drivers so that could effect overall gaming benchmarks.

A game developer explained that Intel benefits from CPU optimizations on some gaming benchmarks and that Ryzen numbers should or will improve overtime. These early tests have not had highly optimized drivers so that could effect overall gaming benchmarks.

Hmm, so I guess I should sit it out a few months then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.