Official ADCC Discussion Thread

Oh yes I know there are no points for the first five minutes. However, I read that the negative point came from a guard pull at the start of the match. We were all confused as to how Mendes won the fight.

Yes, iirc Shawn Williams said that in the finals there would be negative points for sitting to guard from the start of the match even though the regular "points" segment of the match hasn't begun.

The refs were allowing subs to be finished or escsped that had been caught on the mat, and thrn both competitors rolling off the mat. Palhares tapped allevan twice, both legitimately. Why is everyone saying he cranker it out of bounds after the ref ordered the stop? He let go as soon as allevan tapped, allevan was pissed cos he thought it would have been restarted if he rolled off the mat. After arguing he got what he wanted, what else did he expect?

The refs were allowing subs to be finished or escsped that had been caught on the mat, and thrn both competitors rolling off the mat. Palhares tapped allevan twice, both legitimately. Why is everyone saying he cranker it out of bounds after the ref ordered the stop? He let go as soon as allevan tapped, allevan was pissed cos he thought it would have been restarted if he rolled off the mat. After arguing he got what he wanted, what else did he expect?

Exactly. If the competitors rolled off the mat when a sub was on, the refs would let it continue. This happened multiple times throughout the tournament, and the ref never tried to stop Palhares until after Allevan tapped; at which point Palhares let go immediately. Allevan complained, got the restart he wanted, then promptly got kneebarred. It seemed like he was the one ignorant of the rules, not Palhares.

As for Palhares 'striking' Galvao, there was really nothing in it other than a slapping on a slightly aggressive collar tie. Again, this happened multiple times from other competitors in the tournament (notably Werdum) without anyone else throwing a hissy fit. Pretty much everyone in the crowd thought Galvao was just whining.

Roughly what time in the stream did Garcia/Davis match occur?

Nevermind, I found it, about 1:30 in.

Last edited:
Once again people assume Palhares was the one in the wrong because of the misconceptions they have of him as a fighter and as a grappler.

Now that I've seen the match, Avellan was completely full of shit. The ref never stepped in to intervene until after he tapped, and the refs were allowing submissions to be finished after competitors had rolled out of bounds all day long. Avellan was the one ignorant of the rules here.

Toquinho tries to hug the guy and Avellan pushes him? Ridiculous, he complains until he gets a restart and then has the nerve to act butthurt that Palhares finished the submission he had already tapped him with. Avellan made a real spectacle out of the situation because (according to what his brother posted on this forum) he let the bullshit judgement he had of Palhares prior to their match overshadow what actually took place. I'd be pretty embarassed if I were him.

Was there for the two day's, was an awesome experience, heard Leo Vieira talking about how he had injured his rib in his match with Calasans, and couldn't move properly in his match with Marcelo and Marcelo asked him after the match was he hurt because he could feel it (Jedi mind powers).

WRT Cobrinha-Rafa: I think the scoring thing was silly, but it was up to Cobrinha/Fabio Gurgel to realize Cobrinha was down by a -1 and make something happen. Even if it was bullshit, it didn't look like Cobrinha was in a rush to do anything, and Rafa was very smart. He sat back to his guard before the points period started so he wouldn't get swept.

If on a technical and athletic level, Cobrinha and Rafa are equals, Rafa must be miles ahead in terms of game planning and strategy.

WRT Palhares: Stop hating. The dude is/was awesome. For someone so vicious, he has an incredible, endearing quality. His leg locks are beautiful and he added a lot of character to the event.

Yes, iirc Shawn Williams said that in the finals there would be negative points for sitting to guard from the start of the match even though the regular "points" segment of the match hasn't begun.

Yes I knew about this. I know that there can be no score for the first 5 minutes other than negative for guard pulling. However, the point I was trying to make was that with the fight being so close, I felt that Rafa deserved the nod because I thought that he took down Cobrinha at the start (which was then ruled to be a guard pull). It was probably the most significant move of their fight.

WRT Cobrinha-Rafa: I think the scoring thing was silly, but it was up to Cobrinha/Fabio Gurgel to realize Cobrinha was down by a -1 and make something happen. Even if it was bullshit, it didn't look like Cobrinha was in a rush to do anything, and Rafa was very smart. He sat back to his guard before the points period started so he wouldn't get swept.

how the fuck was it bullshit? the competitors were told what resulted in negative points and negative points start immediately in finals.
not that hard.

Rafa is better than cobrinha currently and probably for at least the last year.

rafa has a gameplan to beat cobrinha .

cobrinha does not have a gameplan to beat rafa.

Was there for the two day's, was an awesome experience, heard Leo Vieira talking about how he had injured his rib in his match with Calasans, and couldn't move properly in his match with Marcelo and Marcelo asked him after the match was he hurt because he could feel it (Jedi mind powers).

Haha thats so cool. Very nice for Leo to get Silver in his grappling comeback!

But wait...

How us accusing Marquardt of greasing controversial of Palhares? And how is thinking you win, then later actually winning, controversial at all? You merely add those to make it seem like the list is longer than it is.

The only controversial thing in the UFC was holding the legloc too long. He did not strike Galvao, and he may or may not have cranked the heel hook out of bounds.

The list becomes really short when you actually look at it.

Yahh.. he only shattered Tomasz Drwal's knee without any consideration for his opponent's tap(s), his screams or even the referee pulling him off. No biggie. That knee will never be the same, but it's all cool.

how the fuck was it bullshit? the competitors were told what resulted in negative points and negative points start immediately in finals.
not that hard.

Rafa is better than cobrinha currently and probably for at least the last year.

rafa has a gameplan to beat cobrinha .

cobrinha does not have a gameplan to beat rafa.

Do you know what "if" means?

I was away from the stream this weekend. Is there a replay at all? Forgive me if this has been asked. Such great matches it seems and I'd love to watch some. Thanks for any info!

TOQUINHO.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AFV9N15o1cnJxHlVMoyzJg?feat=directlink

Last edited:
Back