***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread v 12.0: The GOAT***

Who is the GOAT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think 1 gif gets your point across just fine

Nobody likes a spammer anus

Here's a decent synopsis:

https://cornerthreehoops.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/explaining-espns-real-plus-minus/

Just like any other predictive stat, it's not perfect. But it does a decent job of evaluating a player's worth.

Keep in mind Harden is going to set a new NBA/ABA mark for turnovers in a season.

If you take Lebron and Harden off of their respective teams, who do you believe suffers more? I'd say it's unquestionably the Cavs.

I can google it if I want someone else to explain it. I'm wondering if you know what RPM is

I do know though that RPM has Harden as the best offensive player in the NBA

And the Cavs without LeBum still have two all-stars. The Rocks not so much w/o Harden

Feels almost like a requirement to like that gif it's so good.

PER
Harden 27.9
LeBum 26.8

TS%
Harden .620
LeBum .619

WS
Harden 13.7
LeBum 10.8

BPM
Harden 10.3
LeBum 8.4

VORP
Harden 8.0
LeBum 6.2

Team win %
Harden .690
LeBum .667

All-Star teammates
Harden 0
LeBum 2

OPEN AND SHUT CASE

Lebron has been shutting it down pretty much all season

His real goal is the title as it should be

Lebron has been shutting it down pretty much all season

His real goal is the title as it should be

That's all good and great but it's just funny that he thinks he needs to "rest" during the regular season in order to win in the yoffs

Jordan '91 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan '92 - 80 games played - won ship
Jordan '93 - 78 games played - won ship
Jordan '96 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan '97 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan '98 - 82 games played - won ship

Just seen Curry nailing that buzzer beater after the scuffle <45> MVP

I can google it if I want someone else to explain it. I'm wondering if you know what RPM is

I do know though that RPM has Harden as the best offensive player in the NBA

And the Cavs without LeBum still have two all-stars. The Rocks not so much w/o Harden

I know you know what it is and are just prevaricating in order to force me to spell out the exact algorithm for you, so, go ahead and google it if you want the formula. Basically, it's an estimation of how many points each player adds or subtracts, on average, to his team's net scoring margin per each 100 possessions played.

The Cavs are an abysmal 4-20 without Lebron playing in the era with Love and Irving.

That's all good and great but it's just funny that he thinks he needs to "rest" during the regular season in order to win in the yoffs

Jordan '91 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan '92 - 80 games played - won ship
Jordan '93 - 78 games played - won ship
Jordan '96 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan '97 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan '98 - 82 games played - won ship
Jordan did take a year and half break from basketball.

I know you know what it is and are just prevaricating in order to force me to spell out the exact algorithm for you, so, go ahead and google it if you want the formula. Basically, it's an estimation of how many points each player adds or subtracts, on average, to his team's net scoring margin per each 100 possessions played.

The Cavs are an abysmal 4-20 without Lebron playing in the era with Love and Irving.

It's a regression analysis intended to derive predictive power and infer causation from correlation yet it can't control for all variables. It has some usefulness on offense because it's easier to measure successful individual offense (because they quantify that during the game by giving points to made baskets) but it's a very specious way to quantify defense. The reality is that defensive impact simply can't be quantified due to the infinite variables involved that will never show up as a number in a boxscore

Who gives a shit if they sit. All you can's care about rings so players want to be rested and not injured for the playoffs. He's also played a ton of minutes the past six years. A night off here or there doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Wouldn't expect you to understand that though.
he sat versus the Clips, and then played the next game versus the Lakers.....

they also sit generally all 3 big stars, rather than spread that out over the week

it's egregious as fuck, these dudes are generally making 15M + per year

It's a regression analysis intended to derive predictive power and infer causation from correlation yet it can't control for all variables. It has some usefulness on offense because it's easier to measure successful individual offense (because they quantify that during the game by giving points to made baskets) but it's a very specious way to quantify defense. The reality is that defensive impact simply can't be quantified due to the infinite variables involved that will never show up as a number in a boxscore

I agree with all of this. However, I think very few would argue that Harden is an all-around better defender than LeBron.

they also sit generally all 3 big stars, rather than spread that out over the week

ok.

I didnt know faust was a dork.

I hate the group rest bullshit that teams these days pull.

Shut up cream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back