Official 2012 London Olympics Judo Thread

SPOILER

Russia just won gold medal, and Putin stood up and clap like a boss lol.

I don't understand people who say Judo is boring. This is the best part of the Summer Olympics, in my opinion, and will continue to be until they make bjj an Olympic sport.
It may be boring, some athletes try to exploit the rules a bit, going for some silly throws, hoping to win by accumulated penalties to their opponent. Luckily most judges are smart to these attempts, still matches look like poop.

It may be boring, some athletes try to exploit the rules a bit, going for some silly throws, hoping to win by accumulated penalties to their opponent. Luckily most judges are smart to these attempts, still matches look like poop.

The IJF should figure a ways out where you cant win by penalties. And the primary reason I read about why the IJF got restrictive with leg attacks because shooting/leg attacks could be used as a passive strategy- stalling.

Im not exactly a fan of letting a match go to hantai(judges decision) either.

But on a different note I think the IJF owes some recognition to MMA for generating some new interest in Judo.

too bad GB didn't win, she was more attractive

Only a dumbass ballet dancer Karateka would have the nerve to say some sexist bullshit like this

Kayla would kick your ass and is accomplishing more in her life than you prolly ever will bro. Watch your mouth about champions kid

Only a dumbass ballet dancer Karateka would have the nerve to say some sexist bullshit like this

Kayla would kick your ass and is accomplishing more in her life than you prolly ever will bro. Watch your mouth about champions kid
lol stfu, I'm just saying attractiveness is usually what determines who I cheer for in women's sports, I mean come on, it's women's sports..

But on a different note I think the IJF owes some recognition to MMA for generating some new interest in Judo.

Outside of the USA, has there been a recent (last 10 years) increase of interest in Judo and has it had anything to do with MMA?

From what I've been led to understand, Judo's maintained its popularity in places where it is popular and MMA isn't big in places where Judo is not popular, except for the US.

lol stfu, I'm just saying attractiveness is usually what determines who I cheer for in women's sports, I mean come on, it's women's sports..

You're not the only one. When there was nobody I cared about competing, I starting pulling for Gneto because I thought she was the best looking woman in the competition.

Outside of the USA, has there been a recent (last 10 years) increase of interest in Judo and has it had anything to do with MMA?

From what I've been led to understand, Judo's maintained its popularity in places where it is popular and MMA isn't big in places where Judo is not popular, except for the US.

I think MMA led to the popularity of Jiu-Jitsu, and the popularity of Jiu-Jitsu has fueled the interest in Judo.

I think MMA led to the popularity of Jiu-Jitsu, and the popularity of Jiu-Jitsu has fueled the interest in Judo.

this was definitely the path I took. I although I didn't care for MMA, was attracted to bjj which led to me taking up judo. When i was younger I thought judo was a wuss martial art like aikido. I'm glad I came to my senses.

this was definitely the path I took. I although I didn't care for MMA, was attracted to bjj which led to me taking up judo. When i was younger I thought judo was a wuss martial art like aikido. I'm glad I came to my senses.

this,i had the choice of taekwon do or judo as a kid stupidly chose tkd thank god i did the right thing 15 years later.

My first few tournaments in BJJ fueled my interest in judo. I quickly realized that I don't like pulling guard and my take downs sucked.

Having something to do, at least in terms of take down plans, also really calmed my nerves at the beginning of matches.

Judo has really helped my game along.

Pleased for Gemma getting silver, GB Judo needed that medal :D

Pleased for Gemma getting silver, GB Judo needed that medal :D

Agreed.
Great result for her and British judo.
Britain were quite poor overall and I thought Austin was particularly bad in his loss to Anai.
He looked absolutely exhausted after 3 minutes.

this,i had the choice of taekwon do or judo as a kid stupidly chose tkd thank god i did the right thing 15 years later.

I had the options of Judo, Aikido, and Karate. I took a little bit of Judo and Aikido but loved Karate so thats what I stuck with as a kid and into my early adult years. I can't say that I regret it. It was a lot of fun, went on to win a couple national tournaments, and had a great time competiting. Got away from martial arts for about 10 years and came back and started training MMA, and was introduced to Jiu-Jitsu. I first started it to learn how not to get taken down and submitted and ended up loving it. Now I regret not sticking with Judo as a young kid and they kept trying to get me to wrestle in high school but didn't, wish I had did that also.
The Judo instructor I had as a kid didn't make it exciting. It was constantly drilling falls, and rolls, and some throws. I didn't even realize that Judo had submissions until I started training MMA and Jiu-Jitsu. As a kid, in order for you to want to train in a sport it needs to be fun, and I think this a big problem in general with young athletes is not having coaches and instructors that know how to make things fun.

Back