Off the grid living out in middle of nowhere

Kemeticsoul

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a small cabin with roughly 50 acres of land and it's totally secluded and out in the middle of nowhere. It's wind and solar so I'll have no bill other than maintaining and probably purchasing new solar technology down the line.

Now with internet. Is satellite internet my only option? I've heard it sucks balls and expensive as hell.

I thought google was supposed to fly small drones or some shit over rural areas.

Video games will probably be out of the question right? My kid might have to learn to cut wood and get in touch with his roots and practice landscaping for fun.

It's 2017 Sherbros. Are you telling me I can't have secluded living AND the latest Internet speeds?

Dick Proenneke that shit.

I'm looking into purchasing a small cabin with roughly 50 acres of land and it's totally secluded and out in the middle of nowhere. It's wind and solar so I'll have no bill other than maintaining and probably purchasing new solar technology down the line.

Now with internet. Is satellite internet my only option? I've heard it sucks balls and expensive as hell.

I thought google was supposed to fly small drones or some shit over rural areas.

Video games will probably be out of the question right? My kid might have to learn to cut wood and get in touch with his roots and practice landscaping for fun.

It's 2017 Sherbros. Are you telling me I can't have secluded living AND the latest Internet speeds?
if you're going off grid why do you want internet?

Wtf? Why not? It's going to be a full time residence.
I'm not trying to say you're weird or anything but off the grid seems like what Ted Kaczynski did or like Eustace Conway on the show Mountain Men where they are out in the middle of nowhere away from people and modern technology just living off the land.

There was a show called " The Boonies" awesome but I could never live beyond the grid for more than like a year or 2.

I'm not trying to say you're weird or anything but off the grid seems like what Ted Kaczynski did or like Eustace Conway on the show Mountain Men where they are out in the middle of nowhere away from people and modern technology just living off the land.

That is enticing to be honest. If I were single and childless I would love to try out that lifestyle.

But as it is, I need the Internet to learn, read, research. I need to keep up on the latest conspiracy theories and know when Nibiru is inbound.

You could learn to fashion your own internet with sticks and IC chips you find in the woods.

If youre not working 8-16 hours a day its not off grid. If you have internet its laughably not off grid. Cold winters? Youll be spending a lot of summer just gathering and proccessing firewood. It sounds youre interested in country or rural living TS, probably still regularly go to supermarket etc. The internet is the fucking grid.

I hear some cable modems and wifi routers grow off trees. They're high in the trees, so you need a good eye to spot them. But, man, a freshly picked router just flies.

What happened to Jason Hawk, the guy that makes knives on the Mountain Men program? Last year he was on an old farm but he's living in a tent now. Did he lose that land?

What happened to Jason Hawk, the guy that makes knives on the Mountain Men program? Last year he was on an old farm but he's living in a tent now. Did he lose that land?
I don't know I missed the last episode he was on a different show too where he was in Arizona that old farm was really ran down.

Back