Obvious Mcgregor did what he did to avoid defending the title

unproven? Let's just ignore knocking out Aldo and Alvarez. Let's just ignore beating Holloway, the current featherweight champion, with a torn ACL. Let's just ignore 9 UFC wins, 7 of which ended in knockouts. If you ignore all of that, then yes, Conor is unproven.
Even Holloway is unproven and he has twice the victories of Conor in his old div. He needs to fight Frankie to solidify his place. Beating a champ isnt hard Sera did it. it's clearing out whole divisions that make a legend. Flash in the pan is what conor is ATM.

Even Holloway is unproven and he has twice the victories of Conor in his old div. He needs to fight Frankie to solidify his place. Beating a champ isnt hard Sera did it. it's clearing out whole divisions that make a legend. Flash in the pan is what conor is ATM.
He's a flash in the pan that is only one of four fighters who became two-weight world champion in the UFC. He also did it in two different MMA organizations. So he beats Aldo. That was just a fluke right? What about the Alvarez fight. That must have been a fluke too. Just a flash in the pan. I've heard it all now.

That is why I elaborated on the point in the previous post that it took extraordinary amount of hard work in the gym and the way he markets himself ... But regardless, it's a fair point to say him trash talking and building a persona is not genius, but would you agree that his fighting ability could be considered genius level?
giphy.gif

Is hard work the same thing as intelligence, though? If you make the same amount of money as someone else, but they worked a lot harder than you, does that make them smarter? What if you work hard, and don't make money?

I guess our point of contention is the definition of "genius". I think Conor has great skill and a certain level of "creativity" which he displays in his fights. That consists of awareness of the physical space around him, integrating muscle memory with in-the-moment decisions, etc. There's a mental component to it. I don't think that makes him a genius, though. I don't think fighting talent translates over particularly well, or at all, to other fields of intelligence. I don't think that Conor could write a good novel, or do complex math, or figure out solutions to political problems. I mean, it's possible that he could, but I don't see evidence of that just from the way he punches people, or the way he attracts twitter fans by acting cocksure.

Conor is better at speaking than most UFC fighters (who can't really speak at all), and he's made money, so that might inform how we view his intelligence. But I'm sure you could think of fighters that react quickly, use their fists and feet very well, execute unexpected moves, etc., who are dumb-dumbs in general life. Or is that not true? Are all good fighters smart? Are really good boxers very smart? Because I see a lot of great boxers that are idiots.

Is hard work the same thing as intelligence, though? If you make the same amount of money as someone else, but they worked a lot harder than you, does that make them smarter? What if you work hard, and don't make money?

I guess our point of contention is the definition of "genius". I think Conor has great skill and a certain level of "creativity" which he displays in his fights. That consists of awareness of the physical space around him, integrating muscle memory with in-the-moment decisions, etc. There's a mental component to it. I don't think that makes him a genius, though. I don't think fighting talent translates over particularly well, or at all, to other fields of intelligence. I don't think that Conor could write a good novel, or do complex math, or figure out solutions to political problems. I mean, it's possible that he could, but I don't see evidence of that just from the way he punches people, or the way he attracts twitter fans by acting cocksure.

Conor is better at speaking than most UFC fighters (who can't really speak at all), and he's made money, so that might inform how we view his intelligence. But I'm sure you could think of fighters that react quickly, use their fists and feet very well, execute unexpected moves, etc., who are dumb-dumbs in general life. Or is that not true? Are all good fighters smart? Are really good boxers very smart? Because I see a lot of great boxers that are idiots.
This is exactly the same contention I had with the other poster in this thread and that is that there seems to be this idea that "genius" only refers to intelligence in terms of IQ. That is only part of the definition of "genius." Genius can also refer to physical ability as well as any other non-general intelligence. And you described Conor's skill better than I did and I would absolutely contend that his fighting ability and fight IQ is at a "genius" level when compared to his peers. You combine that with his natural physical ability, then I think it's unequivocal that he is a "genius" level fighter. You can be a genius in marketing or cooking, but that doesn't mean those same people could score a perfect score on the SATs, and that shouldn't disqualify them from being referred to as geniuses in their respective fields.

HAHA Triggered again?
DID NOT READ.
Waaaay to long of a slurp for me.

Since I've been here much longer than you and been in countless arguments with people a lot like you (you're all the same), it's obvious what you're trying to do and I bet you think you're oh so funny right now. Like most, keep ignoring facts and go to the "haha you're a ball rider!" nonsense like most uneducated 'fans' do since you can't actually support a legitimate argument or even have a simple intelligent discussion.

There's nothing like being torn up by a more knowledgeable poster and resorting to the old "you're a nuthugger" line or some other garbage reply that you think is clever, especially the classic "haha TLDR!!", the showstopper reply for small minded Neanderthal f•gs like you. Clearly, you are not a very smart man. Anyway, I won't waste my time any longer with your lack of knowledge about this sport.

Immature f'n clown. Like I said, you're all the same.

From the 21st century, definitely so.

But of all time, there's a lot of gems.

Project A, Part 1 and 2
Fight Back to School 1 & 2
Drunken Master
Police Story 1 and 2
Armor of God
Shaolin Soccer
Winners & Sinners
Wheels on Meals

Just off the top of my head.
Hats off to you for calling out Wheels on Meals. Yuen Biao, Samo Hung and Jackie did some great work together. They worked together with Benny Urquidez in Dragons Forever, which has some good kung fu and some very funny moments in that cheesy Jackie Chan style. The bad guy is hilarious in that movie too.

I never liked the first Drunken Master much, #2 was really good though.

Oh, and Conor didn't do it to avoid Tony. That's silly.

Since I've been here much longer than you and been in countless arguments with people a lot like you (you're all the same), it's obvious what you're trying to do and I bet you think you're oh so funny right now. Like most, keep ignoring facts and go to the "haha you're a ball rider!" nonsense like most uneducated 'fans' do since you can't actually support a legitimate argument or even have a simple intelligent discussion.

There's nothing like being torn up by a more knowledgeable poster and resorting to the old "you're a nuthugger" line or some other garbage reply that you think is clever, especially the classic "haha TLDR!!", the showstopper reply for small minded Neanderthal f•gs like you. Clearly, you are not a very smart man. Anyway, I won't waste my time any longer with your lack of knowledge about this sport.

See man, stuff like this is why you're better off just responding to my PM. At least you know I'll read it!

I love threads like this. Hold on, let me join in.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm literally Conor's hater, but I understand this guy. He got huge paycheck this year. Fought on of the best boxers in history. And now what?
They are all prizefighters, they fight for money, that's why they come often unprepared, on short notice.
Now you demand some honour, and value from Conor. Are people for real?
This guy fights for money and rightfully so. Belt is only promotional tool.

Wow.......you are the man.
I bet you have tons of fans on here.

The reason why this is brought up isn't because of Conors accomplishments or whether he is ducking his opponent.

It's sort of a conflict of interest coincedence that usually is not coincidental at all. I mean what are the odds?

It's kind of like a fighter who owns a supplement company, gets his sales team to sell you supplements and you get busted over doping when you were going to fight this fighter and were the favorite. What are the odds right?

The punishment seemed to aid too many parties at once, for a sport where many grievances go unpunished and are usually at the whim of Dana and Co.

Everyone in the world knows Conor not fighting benefits him and the UFC. Ferg wouldn't be a draw and Conor getting KO would mean UFC is irrelevant, and no more superfight offers.

Do I think Conor ducked ferg? No. Do I think the UFC pushed this punishment? Yes. And we know it isn't because of public outcry. The outcry is why is he not defending his title. Again.

What are the friggen ODDS?!

you proudly claim to be a nuthugger? da fuq, man. kys you filthy waste of oxygen
a lot of people on here have acknowledged or would admit that they're a nuthugger of a certain fighter, you're only upset because its conor and he clearly does upset you.

i hope you can work through your insecurities bud, don't live life so bitter.

giphy.gif

well under the actual definition of physical ability, yes you could say "Usain Bolt is a genius sprinter" and you would not be wrong. It applies more aptly to Conor as fighting is a much more cerebral sport than sprinting in a straight line. Conor has to judge distance and then physically act to avoid and parry a punch, while simultaneously throwing his own offensive strike in a precise and efficient manner. I'd say it takes a genius level fighter to do what Conor did to Aldo and Alvarez in the above gifs. Go look up the Merriam-Webster definition if freaking google isn't good enough for you. Genius: a :a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude. I think Conor qualifies as having a strong marked capacity or aptitude in mixed martial arts. A secondary definition from Merriam-Webster is : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity. I think it's safe to say his ability to trash talk and market himself to become the biggest combat sports star in history requires a genius level of "intellectual power...manifested in creative activity. "Again keeping digging yourself a hole deeper and deeper.
The fact you truly think it would be OK to call Usain Bolt a "genius" sprinter, shows how off your sense of the word is from that of most people.

Calling Conor a genius striker is more sensible, but still don't think I'd agree.

In any case, you called him a genius. You didn't say genius boxer, just genius. He's no genius by any means.

I appreciate success. I've certainly hated on fighters before and it's sure as hell of a lot easier to sleep as a non-hater. Especially when the fighter you are hating on is as successful as Conor. What don't you understand about taking big fights? The only reason Conor hasn't defended the belts is because he's always had some huge opportunity to take. Who the hell do you think he fought to win the titles in the first place? The guy crushed top guys in Aldo and Alvarez to win the title lol. He didn't defend the featherweight title because he wanted to go win the lightweight title. He wins the lightweight title and doesn't defend it because he had go earn a 9 figure paycheck boxing. The guy who holds the current featherweight title is a guy he beat with a torn ACL.

Most think Conor is scared of being embarrassed by Tony, but i realize now he simply can't make 155 with ur 130 lb ass hanging from his nutsack.

@Hardkore is my buddy, but Conor is in a position that all he has to say is "no" to avoid a fight.
The blowback he will get is limited to hardcore fans that he does not give a shit about.
His next fight will do big numbers no matter who he fights.

Conor does not need a scheme/plan to "duck" anybody
He has too much pull

Back