Obscure Question: Why Was Denis Kang Done With The UFC After Michael Bisping Loss?

LTorino

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Granted, he lost 2 of 3 in the UFC and went on to not have a great career, but he had built a little following from his PRIDE success and pretty much TKO'd Bisping standing when he was fresh but gassed himself out following to the ground.

He's another Sokudju-like Pride guy that never measured up.

He got subbed and KO/TKO'd a lot. Too many holes in his game to compete with the top guys.

Good fckng question

I think it might have something to do with him bailing out of TUF 1
He was suppose to be on it, decided to sign with Pride for the money instead.
(sad, I think back then he could have won this)

after a subpar 3 fight with the UFC, Dana was probably happy to let that guy go.
Dana is pretty good a keeping grudge...

Last edited:
Granted, he lost 2 of 3 in the UFC and went on to not have a great career, but he had built a little following from his PRIDE success and pretty much TKO'd Bisping standing when he was fresh but gassed himself out following to the ground.

Kang looked great in the majority of his fights ( crisp, technical striking and great movement), but he's one of those really good fighters who never had the edge that exceptionally GREAT fighters have. Used to love watching him fight though, always exciting scraps.

Last edited:
He went 1-2 with two stoppage losses with the company, that was enough to send him packing.

He never fought in his proper weight class either. Dude was tiny.

35kvof9.jpg

He just dropped Mike...Thats all.

He was a name because of Pride days and made decent money I would assume...Probably didn't settle for a pay cut.

He was a good, not great fighter. He also beat a ton of no names, and lost to a ton of good not great fighters. He got choked out by a who’s who of ok guys. Doerkson, Miller, Taylor, Belcher just to name a few.

Didn’t his wife or gf die? I think that’s when things started going downhill but I could be wrong.

He's another Sokudju-like Pride guy that never measured up.

He got subbed and KO/TKO'd a lot. Too many holes in his game to compete with the top guys.

You didnt really want to soak in a Dennis Kang fight.

Just a guess but they probably signed him to a big contract and after getting finished twice with one underwhelming win, they probably didn't think it was worth it to keep him around.

He was a good, not great fighter. He also beat a ton of no names, and lost to a ton of good not great fighters. He got choked out by a who’s who of ok guys. Doerkson, Miller, Taylor, Belcher just to name a few.

A lot of those loses came towards the end of his career. He was definitely an elite guy for many years

It’s been a long time so I could be wrong but IIRC Kang seemed like a world beater in the early going but wilted under pressure.

I think it was a mental thing with him. He had all the physical tools to be a great fighter.

not sure, but a lot of times, big outside names like that get signed with big contracts, and when they dont perform well, they get let go because theyre no longer worth a similar contract amount.

kang has no disclosed salaries since all three of his fights were overseas.

His TKO loss to Manhoef still gives me nightmares

Retired him

Back