Oblique pain when Kickboxing???

wardy33

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so when I Kick in Muay Thai I'm fine but when I repeatedly kick I get a cramp in my rigut oblique.. only the right side. I've practised a body kick on the bag exactly the same each leg and it only happens on the rifht side.. Anyone have any idea? I'm drinking enough water also.

I had an issue similar to that but it turned into a pinch Over time. It was a hip flexor strain which led to a lot of other problems and eventually about 6 months off kicking.

Hopefully you don't have that.

I had an issue similar to that but it turned into a pinch Over time. It was a hip flexor strain which led to a lot of other problems and eventually about 6 months off kicking.

Hopefully you don't have that.

It's more in my side like middle of my body. Not near my hip as such? It is kind of how a fatigued muscle would feel it gets worse with every kick but if I stop for a minute or so it will go away? Then if I do a few more kicks come baxk again....

Similar thing. I've trained in Thailand a few times and done some damage to my right hip.

My right hip is very tight, right lower back and right obliques/serratus anterior also.

I suggest you look up stretches for those muscles, primarily the hip flexors, and do heaps of them, several times a day, and don't kick for a while.

That's assuming you don't already have an injury and it's just tightness. A good physio should be able to confirm.

Often a pain around the hip comes from tightness the other side of the hip. So pain in the lower right back is from tightness below the front left hip.

Similar thing. I've trained in Thailand a few times and done some damage to my right hip.

My right hip is very tight, right lower back and right obliques/serratus anterior also.

I suggest you look up stretches for those muscles, primarily the hip flexors, and do heaps of them, several times a day, and don't kick for a while.

That's assuming you don't already have an injury and it's just tightness. A good physio should be able to confirm.

That's similar to what I had...happened in thailand too.

I experienced similar pain, but not from Kicking. A couple of days after a heavy(by my puny standards)Rack Pull session, I noticed pain in my right side, from the top of my groin up over the hip and right side of my abdomen.

I got it checked out by the Doc; he diagnosed a muscle strain and advised me to give heavy Squatting and Pulling a miss for a few weeks.

I had inflamed hip flexors from kickboxing. Weird lumps in the tissue that hurt like hell if they moved. Stretching helped a lot.

Was this a burning pain in your right side?

sorry to bump this but im getting the same exact thing

Was this a burning pain in your right side?

yeah burning pain on the right side and right side only like a hot knife

Great idea to start doing before training, never thought about that. Not sure if that will help much while still injured though. Thanks

Strained / injured muscle would be my guess. Resting and recovering It fully instead of going hard would be my Advice

Back