Oasis

71Fish

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Any Oasis fans? I didn't care for them when they first went mainstream. But when I was deployed to Saudi Arabia in 2000 I was hanging out at the non-alcohol British bar on base and some guy there did an acoustic of "Wonderwall" and I've been hooked ever since.

Saw them only once in concert in 2008 in Las Vegas. Also happened to be my wife and I's (girlfriend then) first weekend trip together. Since they have broken up, we say Noel Gallagher in San Francisco as an anniversary celebration.

They didn't do themselves any favors with the gloating they did in the early days, and saying they would be bigger than the Beatles, but I really dig their music.

I like them. Noel's solo stuff is good too. He has a live album where he does some Oasis songs and covers a Smiths song. It's really good.

I like the song Champagne Supernova, but am not familiar with much else. Solid stuff though?

Yeah I was a teenager in the UK in the 90s so I was right there right then, they have always been one of my fave bands. They don't seem to be that popular (comparitively) in North America, I don't know why. They are popular in some countries abroad though. Wonderwall is omnipresent, you will always hear buskers playing it or people drunkenly singing it in the bar etc.

be-here-now.jpeg

I only really know the singles/hits and not too many deep cuts. But I get in moods where I want to hear their songs for sure.
And Noel gives the best interviews. Doesn't hold back at all.
But I'll forever be grateful to them for the meme "anyway, here's Wonderwall"
fb_662763.jpg

a224631c3af5532650ee92ea9fd23298.jpg

tumblr_nok39jrQb11rk88oko1_400.jpg

I think master plan is my favorite album by them. I love Noel's new stuff though. He shows that he was the real brains behind the group.

They personified what I hated most about the mid 90's music. That style . . . I dont know how to put in words. But they were my most least hated band of that era for some reason. I hated everyone else more, and always was like well they from England thats another country so ok

If you ever listened to Liam's ex-band "Beady Eye" you quickly realize Noel was ALL of the brains behind Oasis song writing.

Noel Gallagher is one of the best songwriters of the last 25 years.

oasis had a lot of great hits, and noel is very talented.

hilarious too, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Noel Gallagher is one of the best songwriters of the last 25 years.

Completely agree. I listen to Oasis nearly everyday. For me, there isn't a song I don't like. I never skip a song. I can't say that about any other group. My other top band is Iron Maiden. As great a song writer Steve Harris is, there are just some songs I don't like and skip past.

Definitely Maybe is a masterpiece IMO.
They're also one of the very very very few bands who's non-album tracks were better than other's "hits".
The b-sides album "The Masterplan" is incredible...right up there with The Smiths "Hatful of Hollow" & Suede's "Sci-Fi Lullabies", as best b-side collection ever.

I think that What's the Story Morning Glory is one of the definitive albums of the 1990's.

Back