NYT writer slams new Mario game over "not-so-super gender politics"

And you're fine with that? Having no purpose in life? Knowing that you are nothing but a little housewife contributing nothing to society?

Again. How long has it been since you've had a job? You seem scared to admit it.

It's been so long that I am not really sure anymore. Maybe it has been about 5 or 6 years now?

mario_550.jpg

I've heard of it and know that Milo was wrapped up in it somehow, but I really have no idea what it is.

Can you give me the rundown?
It'd be a long spiel to try to get it all done. Milo is actually writing a book about it. Of course, the mainstream media has covered it, but exceedingly poorly because they are sympathetic to the narrative that it's a hate movement which rests on the fact that they love victimhood plus the fact that the butt of gamergate has been the media or at least the games journalism subset of it in which many of the themes are the same.

Basically, the liberal press is very cliquey and in bed with one another in games journalism just as with the mainstream media (and colluding to craft narratives and advance agendas), and is also especially chummy with the games industry that they cover, or at least those they deem worthy. Very little in the way of consumer protection or advocacy is broached by them. It's more just about agenda-pushing by millennial SJWs that make up a bulk of the games journalism industry ("diversity" in games, demonizing games and the player base as misogynistic, racist, pathetic "shitlords," trying to shame developers for making games they don't feel conform to their ideological principles, etc.) and just making an easy buck preaching to gamers while actually holding them in contempt.

Of course, the genesis of gamergate doesn't help much. Even though all the sentiments and groundwork was already laid for years, the incident that sparked the whole consumer revolt that was later termed "gamergate" was some special snowflake "game developer" who had never made a successful game (or anything that much qualified as a game at all) and is an exceedingly shitty person in every way conceivable who was sleeping with a bunch of games journalists and having them give her positive press coverage at the same time. Her boyfriend at the time wrote a lengthy post to 4chan about it which caught fire, becoming a topic of discussion and investigation across multiple internet forums due to the collusive nature of the situation. Of course that made it very easy for the media to frame it as a jilted lover exacting revenge with the help of internet trolls who are just lonely losers that hate women and want to keep women out of fields they don't belong, etc, etc (basically the feminist narrative for all of STEM). And it also made many places such as reddit and eventually 4chan itself ban all discussion on the topic which only fueled the fires all the more.

This was back in 2014 I believe and it raged for years and is still out there as a movement, I'd say, and has evolved over the intermittent time. Lots of controversy within the movement itself has been had between various internal factions with whether just ethics or ideology as well belonged in the movement, or even whether it could be called a "movement" at all and the acceptable means of waging a war on corrupt journalists. They attacked the hell out of various organizations including Gawker, helping to cost them advertising dollars, etc. Later, certain elements brought together by gamergate banded together to fight meme wars and get Trump elected, at least in their own minds. ;p

Last edited:
I wouldn't call equality a stupid idea lol.

What is the pay for writing for gaming rags? Should be pretty decent, not to mention the multitude of gaming publications in print and online. I can't imagine a decent writer making peanuts.

Not saying the writer in the OP is decent by any means.

They don't make much money at all, publications like Kotaku have tons of competition.

They don't make much money at all, publications like Kotaku have tons of competition.

I imagine IGN writers make a decent living but it seems podcasts are taking over the market along with vlogs.

I've been trying to put together a gaming podcast with other local comics but we haven't decided a good enough hook. Since as you said, it's highly competitive.

I imagine IGN writers make a decent living but it seems podcasts are taking over the market along with vlogs.

I've been trying to put together a gaming podcast with other local comics but we haven't decided a good enough hook. Since as you said, it's highly competitive.

I think if you get a good angle it could work, but it needs to be niche. Decent idea imo.

I think if you get a good angle it could work, but it needs to be niche. Decent idea imo.

Yeah it's all about finding the right niche. The comics I have talked to about it are all hilarious. But basically it would be full of cursing, constant roasting, and drug and sex jokes lol.

I've been on a few podcasts, no gaming one's though. I'm actually a guest on Locally Sourced tomorrow. Which features local artists and I have to basically talk about myself for an hour. You best believe I'm going to talk about Fallout though.

Yeah it's all about finding the right niche. The comics I have talked to about it are all hilarious. But basically it would be full of cursing, constant roasting, and drug and sex jokes lol.

I've been on a few podcasts, no gaming one's though. I'm actually a guest on Locally Sourced tomorrow. Which features local artists and I have to basically talk about myself for an hour. You best believe I'm going to talk about Fallout though.

You're an author, right? Any other artform you do?

You're an author, right? Any other artform you do?

I am working on a novel but my primary artform is stand up comedy/ storytelling and I make my living as a chef. Working on a couple podcasts currently and going to be acting in some youtube sketches I'm writing in the next few months.

I try to make the most of my insomnia lol.

I am working on a novel but my primary artform is stand up comedy/ storytelling and I make my living as a chef. Working on a couple podcasts currently and going to be acting in some youtube sketches I'm writing in the next few months.

I try to make the most of my insomnia lol.

Do link when it comes out. I've been writing a novel for like 5 years and I'm almost done, that shit is hard.

Liberalism is a mental disease.
I wouldn't even call that liberalism. Under this writers logic no woman in any media should ever be able to make food for a guy (just one example) she likes because it's sexist, so in effect it's reducing the liberty and equality of women characters. True liberalism isn't as petty as these people who write bullshit articles like this and miss the bigger problems. Valuing liberty and equality is something I think almost all Americans would agree upon if it weren't partially convoluted by arguments like this: whining about toadette, a non-human character, waving a flag in a race.

Do link when it comes out. I've been writing a novel for like 5 years and I'm almost done, that shit is hard.

I had over 120 pages of one and lost it and everything I owned in a house fire. It wasn't until I started doing stand up that I broke the writers block that lasted years. This will be the first year I will be an official touring comic though. Super stoked and nervous about it at the same time. I expect to finish my novel on the road as well.

It'd be a long spiel to try to get it all done. Milo is actually writing a book about it. Of course, the mainstream media has covered it, but exceedingly poorly because they are sympathetic to the narrative that it's a hate movement which rests on the fact that they love victimhood plus the fact that the butt of gamergate has been the media or at least the games journalism subset of it in which many of the themes are the same.

Basically, the liberal press is very cliquey and in bed with one another in games journalism just as with the mainstream media (and colluding to craft narratives and advance agendas), and is also especially chummy with the games industry that they cover, or at least those they deem worthy. Very little in the way of consumer protection or advocacy is broached by them. It's more just about agenda-pushing by millennial SJWs that make up a bulk of the games journalism industry ("diversity" in games, demonizing games and the player base as misogynistic, racist, pathetic "shitlords," trying to shame developers for making games they don't feel conform to their ideological principles, etc.) and just making an easy buck preaching to gamers while actually holding them in contempt.

Of course, the genesis of gamergate doesn't help much. Even though all the sentiments and groundwork was already laid for years, the incident that sparked the whole consumer revolt that was later termed "gamergate" was some special snowflake "game developer" who had never made a successful game (or anything that much qualified as a game at all) and is an exceedingly shitty person in every way conceivable who was sleeping with a bunch of games journalists and having them give her positive press coverage at the same time. Her boyfriend at the time wrote a lengthy post to 4chan about it which caught fire, becoming a topic of discussion and investigation across multiple internet forums due to the collusive nature of the situation. Of course that made it very easy for the media to frame it as a jilted lover exacting revenge with the help of internet trolls who are just lonely losers that hate women and want to keep women out of fields they don't belong, etc, etc (basically the feminist narrative for all of STEM). And it also made many places such as reddit and eventually 4chan itself ban all discussion on the topic which only fueled the fires all the more.

This was back in 2014 I believe and it raged for years and is still out there as a movement, I'd say, and has evolved over the intermittent time. Lots of controversy within the movement itself has been had between various internal factions with whether just ethics or ideology as well belonged in the movement, or even whether it could be called a "movement" at all and the acceptable means of waging a war on corrupt journalists. They attacked the hell out of various organizations including Gawker, helping to cost them advertising dollars, etc. Later, certain elements brought together by gamergate banded together to fight meme wars and get Trump elected, at least in their own minds. ;p

Interesting. Thanks for the info and sorry for the late response.

I'll have to look into this more. It sounds confusing. Also sounds kind of entertaining.

And apparently game journalism has changed since several years ago when I was reading EGM and GamePro.

Back