NYT using sailors deaths as opportunity to push agenda

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
I'm usually anti-immigrant, but if you sign up and serve this great country then I fully support you.

who is going to pick sweet potatoes? work in chicken processing plants? you? the japanese immigrant? lol nah.

The market would correct itself almost instantly if there were no illegals. Businesses would have to pay more for labor. Prices would go up, but at the same time hundreds of billions of dollars would be saved in taxes that go to illegals. It would balance out nicely, and illegals wouldn't get exploited.

Win win.

it seems plain as day to me that both are taking place. i dont even see how it could be argued otherwise.
You just don't understand how writing works then. There are underlying themes to every piece. The theme in this article was obvious. You're trying to pretend that the addition of certain facts also defines the theme, and that's just not how it works.

I served in the navy, and this seems like there should be more phillipinos

Also, there are a lot of immigrants. Like, a lot.

The market would correct itself almost instantly if there were no illegals. Businesses would have to pay more for labor. Prices would go up

that simple eh?

it would depend on the business. prices would go up. theyd have to. if the business has overseas competitors, then they likely have access to cheaper labor. that means, theyre prices would likely be lower. no?

even if prices increase i STILL cant see that many native born americans working in places like chicken processing plants. prices would have to go up A LOT. i still dont see many native born americans breaking their backs on the sweet potato farm. maybe im wrong idk.

but at the same time hundreds of billions of dollars would be saved in taxes that go to illegals.

maybe. whats the net with illegals in relation to taxes? they pay more taxes than most people think. theyre also lower income, which means they spend their money directly in the economy rather than saving. they do send money out of the country too, though.

It would balance out nicely, and illegals wouldn't get exploited.

they dont come here to be exploited. NAFTA put rural farmers in places like southern mexico out of business...helped our giant factory farms out. so they come here because its better than there. makes perfect sense.

You just don't understand how writing works then. There are underlying themes to every piece. The theme in this article was obvious. You're trying to pretend that the addition of certain facts also defines the theme, and that's just not how it works.

so this scenario is an impossibility?

1. author places value on diversity, and takes a chance at highlighting the service of immigrant / 2nd gen soldiers.

+

2. author values the service of the individuals, and acknowledges each one and their background.

this could not be whats behind the article?

The biggest difference here is that their parent's were all legal immigrants.

America is one of the most diverse countries in the world and we're built on immigrants. NY Italians, railroad Chinese etc. But they all came here legally in hope of building a new life in America and worked their asses off.

*WARNING as to language used in that clip for the easily triggered*

I think the thing is military members give zero fucks about your background. Yeah, you might be second gen half Japanese but all that matters to them is do you shoot straight, in the right direction, and when push comes to shove are you willing to help your fellow squadmates.

The racial shit only matters when they're ripping on each other.

Pretty much this. Race and shit makes funny jokes, but that's as far as it goes. If you have a joke about doing math quickly, you say it to the Asian guy. I would routinely joke that in 3rd Special Forces Group (our area of responsibility was Africa), we had plenty of black guys, but I never once saw one assigned to a Dive Team or even one that was Dive-qualified. I think I've met one black SEAL, and we all joked that he was a unicorn. Of course, no one actually means anything by it, and no one takes it personally when it's their turn to get made fun of for whatever it is.

Pretty much this. Race and shit makes funny jokes, but that's as far as it goes. If you have a joke about doing math quickly, you say it to the Asian guy. I would routinely joke that in 3rd Special Forces Group (our area of responsibility was Africa), we had plenty of black guys, but I never once saw one assigned to a Dive Team or even one that was Dive-qualified. I think I've met one black SEAL, and we all joked that he was a unicorn. Of course, no one actually means anything by it, and no one takes it personally when it's their turn to get made fun of for whatever it is.
That scene in American Sniper at BUD/S

"WHAT IS THIS?! A BLACK MAN TRYING TO BE A SEAL?!"
"SIR, I'M THE NEW BLACK. WE DON'T RUN GOOD, WE CAN'T JUMP, BUT WE CAN SWIM SIR!"

The amount of shit I get from vet friends for being half-Japanese and terrible at math but a half decent driver is nuts.

I served in the navy, and this seems like there should be more phillipinos

Also, there are a lot of immigrants. Like, a lot.
Don't know what it was, but most of the Filipinos went into the navy. In the army, we got all the Nigerians and Puerto Rican's.

That scene in American Sniper at BUD/S

"WHAT IS THIS?! A BLACK MAN TRYING TO BE A SEAL?!"
"SIR, I'M THE NEW BLACK. WE DON'T RUN GOOD, WE CAN'T JUMP, BUT WE CAN SWIM SIR!"
Yeah, that was some funny stuff. I didn't have the energy to make jokes like that in SFAS or in bunch chunks of the Q, so I doubt a guy would be cracking stuff like that in BUD/S. But you never know...

Yeah, that was some funny stuff. I didn't have the energy to make jokes like that in SFAS or in bunch chunks of the Q, so I doubt a guy would be cracking stuff like that in BUD/S. But you never know...
True.

I really feel if what was said between me and vet friends and shit on like Xbox Live were ever posted here and were all members we'd all get IP banned.

so this scenario is an impossibility?

1. author places value on diversity, and takes a chance at highlighting the service of immigrant / 2nd gen soldiers.

+

2. author values the service of the individuals, and acknowledges each one and their background.

this could not be whats behind the article?
"Anything is possible" isn't part of this discussion. Read the article and assess what the reoccurring theme is. It's repeated and emphasized from the title, to the thesis paragraph (the most important paragraph of every article), down to every other following paragraph.

"Anything is possible" isn't part of this discussion. Read the article and assess what the reoccurring theme is. It's repeated and emphasized from the title, to the thesis paragraph (the most important paragraph of every article), down to every other following paragraph.

often times the criticism the nyt receives is understandable. it is a partisan source, though not as bad as many. in this instance, though, you guys are just looking to be triggered.

"were a snapshot of the nation they served" (article's theme).......which included white and black native born multi gen soldiers....which were mentioned in detail just like the others.

if youre finding a reason to bitch about that, then holy shit. its no wonder our country is so tense right now when people on the right, and the left, can be so easily set off. would you have prefered that every article ignore the fact that several of these guys were immigrants and sons of immigrants? would you rather it have just said "yes we're sorry for his loss he was a great soldier. 24 years old and loved baseball and pizza?"

you guys are starting to develop your own PC policing culture.

Back