NY Times Serena Williams wrong, Men Penalized significantly more, no Sexism to women

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
NY Times claims Serena Williams claim of sexism that men never face harsh punishments for similar outbursts is false, that men actually are punished way more than women in total.

The report, looking at fines data at Grand Slam events from 1998 to 2018, found that women were fined 535 times, while men were fined 1,517 times.

Women only outnumbered men in two categories over the past two decades — racking up 152 fines for coaching, compared to just 87 for men, and 10 no press fines, compared to just six for men.

• Racket Abuse — Men 646, Women 99
  • Audible Obscenity — Men 344, 140
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct — Men 287, Women 67
  • Verbal Abuse — Men 62, Women 16
  • Ball Abuse — Men 49, Women 35
  • Visible Obscenity — Men 20, Women 11
The biggest fine in which women were fined for more than men, coaching, is the one that Williams picked up her first penalty for during her loss to Naomi Osaka — which sparked the other two penalties.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-men-penalized-significantly-women-tennis-000230646.html

Well I guess she's gotta play the race card now.

NY Times claims Serena Williams claim of sexism that men never face harsh punishments for similar outbursts is false, that men actually are punished way more than women in total.

The report, looking at fines data at Grand Slam events from 1998 to 2018, found that women were fined 535 times, while men were fined 1,517 times.

Women only outnumbered men in two categories over the past two decades — racking up 152 fines for coaching, compared to just 87 for men, and 10 no press fines, compared to just six for men.

The biggest fine in which women were fined for more than men, coaching, is the one that Williams picked up her first penalty for during her loss to Naomi Osaka — which sparked the other two penalties.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-men-penalized-significantly-women-tennis-000230646.html
What an insufferable twat she is. “The world is sexist and racist against me!” Shut the fuck up bitch you’re one of the most successful people on the damn planet.

What an insufferable twat she is. “The world is sexist and racist against me!” Shut the fuck up bitch you’re one of the most successful people on the damn planet.

Ya she lost the crowd when she played that card.

Fuck off. Take your black privledge with you

im shocked, shocked I tell ya. Once again an example of a woman thinking she got the shit end proved that she didnt that will pretend its not true

Being a tennis player I've joked about this for awhile. In most tennis tournaments the amount of play between men and women is different. Women play less as they play best out of 3 sets to decide who wins the match. Men on the other hand will play best out of 5 sets to decide who wins or nearly double the amount of play verses women. The prize money is the same between men and women. .

So in essence in tennis men have to work twice as hard as women to receive the same pay.

Being a tennis player I've joked about this for awhile. In most tennis tournaments the amount of play between men and women is different. Women play less as they play best out of 3 sets to decide who wins the match. Men on the other hand will play best out of 5 sets to decide who wins or nearly double the amount of play verses women. The prize money is the same between men and women. .

So in essence in tennis men have to work twice as hard as women to receive the same pay.

Add in the fact that in the WTA the first 3-4 rounds are literal can crushing matches for seeds, that go 40-45 mins with 6-0 6-1 scores. While in the ATP, from the first round up, you have actual elite competition.

Most tennis tournaments are best of 3 for men.

How predictable. The guys who all made 10 pro Serena posts in the first Serena thread are all absent.

If there was an army of menenists looking to push a male oppression narrative they might take these numbers and use them to make a case that the world of tennis is sexist against males and that something must be done immediately to rectify such injustice.

I held my nose and read the NYT article. There's nothing there that contradicts the accusation of disparate enforcement of the rules. For example, if men break the rules at a rate of 3:1, but are penalized at a rate of 2:1, then women would still be right to complain about the stricter enforcement they receive. The article did nothing to establish the actual rates of rule violation (which would include penalized and unpenalized violations). I suppose the implication is that the rates of rule violation can be assumed to be identical for men and women. In reality it can't, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise just because we like the result. We must hold journalists, scientists, and statisticians to the highest standard if we are going to get to the real truth about important matters, including discrimination. All too often the left uses these implicit assumptions of underlying sameness to establish unreasonable expectations, and then try to legislate their expectations into reality, in the name of fairness. Don't accept that.

Never seen Serena

tumblr_m5royzAjtS1r6ibubo1_500.gif

CourageousUnconsciousHoiho-max-1mb.gif

davidferrerpusheslinesmanaussie14-2085989.gif

You guys are all sexy for using data to defend your argument, clearly...

I've already said that I see no problem with the penalty, and I don't see any reason to claim prejudice.

But the data provided in this thread was never actually part of the question. The question was regarding what the typical response is to behavior like Serena's. That answer does not show up in data. All the provided data tells us is that men are penalized more often than women, without showing us what they did (or to what extent). It could just mean men throw way more tantrums, which certainly seems like the case from my own spectating experience.

To determine if her penalty was typical, you'd have to watch similar situations involving men and see what the response was.

That in depth analysis, or at at least your summation of it is missing an important variable. Guilt.

646 men busted for smashing rackets, while only 99 women were busted. Since we are evaluating a supposed disproportionate response it's assumed that *say 1200 men smashed their rackets and 600 we're called on it, and 200 women smashed there rackets and 100 we're called on it. That's an even 50/50 ratio. Were it 600:1200 men and 100:105 that would be a disproportionate penalty ratio.

All the data indicates is that Male tennis players throw more tantrums or commit more fouls.

This is not a comment on feminism, just the presentation of the data.

I will never understand how someone that got get filthy rich playing a god damned game can complain about anything, especially being oppressed somehow.
They need a 2x4 of reality against the head.

Back