Law NY State's Nunchuck ban struck as a violation of the 2a

Wait a minute. Your friend spend 15 YEARS on this? Why exactly is he so passionate about nunchucks? Big fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

He is a nunchuck master as well as a lawyer. He got popped by the cops for owning a pair of nuncucks and got told by the bar his lisence would be in jeopardy if he got caught again so he had to stop training with nun chucks and that made him mad. So he filed a civil suit.

tenor.gif

lol what happened, did someone watch a bruce lee movie back in the day and get shook about the impending yellow peril?
In my great state of Indiana, throwing stars are illegal. The statute cites a monk throwing a shuriken quietly across a courtyard and hitting his target.

Ya know, an actual scene from the TV show “kung fu” and I wish that was a joke

This is just a simple reflection on how ignorant lawmakers are in regards to weapons. People become fearful of what "looks" scary or dangerous and create laws to ban them. Nunchucks and butterfly knives or switchblades - absolutely no more dangerous than a baseball bat or a pocket folder and yet the general population sees something on television and the fear drives lawmakers to make some token effort to placate them.

We can look all around for other examples. I won't even get into the semi-auto rifle example. I will use the suppressor, or "silencer" as something that makes a lot of sense or people to have. Yet the general population thinks these are hitman assassination tools that can turn a rifle into a BB gun which will, in some mental gymnastics, make people more apt to go out and murder others. Or, perhaps, make it impossible for police to solve crimes because of these silent killers. The truth is they will do more good than harm when it comes to hearing protection for the average shooter or hunter. Yet the general population will cower in fear of these weapons.
My first “silencer” was purchased because my youngest son wanted to shoot, but even with ear protection cannot take the percussive force and noise of even a 9mm carbine. It made him gunshy enough to not want to handle a 22 even.

As adults, casual or seasoned shooters we absolutely are not aware of the force and noise our shooting creates. And since we are on the subject of dumb law makers, here’s a response to something shillary said after vegas

Nunchucks are like a belt during a whoopin....

They do more harm to you than the intended target

This is just a simple reflection on how ignorant lawmakers are in regards to weapons. People become fearful of what "looks" scary or dangerous and create laws to ban them. Nunchucks and butterfly knives or switchblades - absolutely no more dangerous than a baseball bat or a pocket folder and yet the general population sees something on television and the fear drives lawmakers to make some token effort to placate them.

We can look all around for other examples. I won't even get into the semi-auto rifle example. I will use the suppressor, or "silencer" as something that makes a lot of sense or people to have. Yet the general population thinks these are hitman assassination tools that can turn a rifle into a BB gun which will, in some mental gymnastics, make people more apt to go out and murder others. Or, perhaps, make it impossible for police to solve crimes because of these silent killers. The truth is they will do more good than harm when it comes to hearing protection for the average shooter or hunter. Yet the general population will cower in fear of these weapons.
I basically agree with your points but the difference is nunchucks are easily concealable. Back during the 70's and 80's kung fu craze there were a lot of people carrying them around. Silencers won't make a discharge inaudible but they can make it more difficult to determine the location or limit the range one can be detected.

When I did security, I would have loved to carry nunchucks. Could've been YouTube famous!
There’s a police department in California that uses them, I don’t remember what city though.
From what I remember they use them like a big kubaton, they don’t go all Bruce Lee with them.

... Why the ban in the first place? Nunchucks really do not seem an effective weapon anyways, the skill level required to make them even on par with a baseball bat in terms of melee fight is a massive barrier to entry on their own

In my great state of Indiana, throwing stars are illegal. The statute cites a monk throwing a shuriken quietly across a courtyard and hitting his target.

Where I grew up Flea markets vendors would sell throwing stars to anyone with cash. Had quite a collection until my Dad figured out what was putting holes in the Sycamore trees in the front yard.

So like unified mma rules banning a 12-6 elbow because of vids of karate guys breaking those special cinder blocks?

Where I grew up Flea markets vendors would sell throwing stars to anyone with cash. Had quite a collection until my Dad figured out what was putting holes in the Sycamore trees in the front yard.
Let me put it like this...

I didn’t realize throwing stars were illegal in Indiana until last year... it’s called the “chinese throwing star” law here.

So like unified mma rules banning a 12-6 elbow because of vids of karate guys breaking those special cinder blocks?
Yeah, gotta love our educated superiors telling us plebs what to do

... Why the ban in the first place? Nunchucks really do not seem an effective weapon anyways, the skill level required to make them even on par with a baseball bat in terms of melee fight is a massive barrier to entry on their own

The official position of the state of NY is there was a concern that youth would emulate the famed martial artist Bruce Lee and carry nun chucks on the streets

I basically agree with your points but the difference is nunchucks are easily concealable

Lots I different weapons are concealable. We currently only regulate the act of concealing, not the individual metrics of the concealed weapon.

Also please help me out

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a nun chuck is a good guy with a nun chuck
Ny has been a nun chuck free zone for to long.
Come on

No news report. Just the Court opinion. My friend Jim Maloney has been litigating this for 15 years as his own attorney (he is a lawyer) to get NY's ban on nunchucks overturned Today the Court ruled in his favor

Can't wait until all crimes and law enforcement in NYC are carried out with nunchaku.

nunchucks.gif

I the dog brothers gatherings show how ineffective chucks were.

Back