Nutrition & Weight Cutting For MMA LONG READ

I am talking about a weight loss regimine that is designed to get you down to single digit bodyfat. Modifications could be made for year round training such as increased protein.

I can guarantee that in my case it was quite the opposite.

When I tried high protein (1.5 grams per pound of body weight) my weight cut was a nightmare, I packed on too much muscle.
To a certain extent this diet is designed to stop you from putting on muscle, if you are 175 and need to get down to 155 adding more muscle will hurt you more than it will help.

Its ironic that you mention Ryan Hall, I followed the above diet form my superfight with Ryan and no one could believe that we were only 4 pounds apart in weight - everyone assumed I was much heavier because of my body composition

]

I guess my point is that ideally one shouldn't get above say 10-12% for men, even if the "off-season" if you will. Then not much if any real cut in bodyfat is needed, just some water weight. As for packing on too much muscle, i'm really surprised this would be a problem unless your calories were in surplus. If you are lowering calories below a certain threshold, you really shouldn't be adding muscle (excluding things like creatine, etc.). That being said, you do have a point, but I think that the vast majority of folks gaining muscle is not a bad thing, and should be encouraged. Obvioiusly you were gearing up for a superfight at a specified category so you had to make sure you made that certain weight, so you may be an exception, But for a typical grappler getting ready to compete, my opinion is that quality strength increases should be encouraged and if that means that added muscle mass accompanies this, so be it.

I guess my point is that ideally one shouldn't get above say 10-12% for men, even if the "off-season" if you will.

If you are "big" for your weight class in pro MMA then generally that means your walking weight is around 12-16% higher than your fighting weight and your fight time body fat is between 4-8%.

I hear that Sherk walks at around 180, Hughes at high 190's, and Rich Franklin at close to 220 and these guys stay in good shape year round.

To make that kind of cut and still have energy to train you need to change things from your traditional nutritional outlook - the diet I gave shows the method I have successfully used.

My point is if you want to have a size advantage (which is why you are cutting in the first place) then your nutritional regimine will have to be considerably different than the average day-to-day athlete.

That is a great article! I also should plug the Grapplers Guide to Sports Nutrition which is where I picked up many of my "tricks".

That is a great article! I also should plug the Grapplers Guide to Sports Nutrition which is where I picked up many of my "tricks".

John Berardi and Michael Fry's "The Grappler's Guide To Sports Nutrition" is a must for all serious grapplers.

You just posted the diet I use, lol.

Even down to the cheating every two weeks.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! MIND-TAKER!!!

no, but seriously, this is the glycemic index diet, and it works great.

Also, I find it helps if I make a big batch of something every day or two, so I always have some healthy food waiting for me.

Today it was a big pot of Lentils. Threw in a little pepper bacon, onion, and tomato with green chillies. It is quit excellent, is very low GI, and really high Fiber. Plus a gigantic pot cost me like 8 bucks and I'll be eating it for two days :)

Great thread!
Can I ask how much ("a ton of weight") can be lost with that diet? And in what time ("really quickly")?

I know this is a necro thread, but

You should be doing 10-15 minutes of cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and at night after your last meal.

10-15 minutes isn't long enough to really be "cardio," a real cardio workout should be at least 30-40 minutes in order for meaningful cardiovascular adaptations to take place. Which is not to say that a 10-15 minute workout has no place, just that it's not really cardio training, it's more like threshold training.

And besides, doing cardio when you're in a fasted, catabolic state will cause muscle wasting. Which also helps if weight loss is your only goal, but most of the time when people say weight loss, they mean they want to lose fat, not muscle. To avoid that, it's better to eat something small before you do your cardio.

I have heard of some people drinking distilled water for their waterloading. What is your thoughts on that?

Thanks for the great thread.

It's an old thread. And I think nearly all the points in it have since proven not to be particularly important to fat loss haven't they? Meal frequency, GI, fasted cardio and so on.

It's an old thread. And I think nearly all the points in it have since proven not to be particularly important to fat loss haven't they? Meal frequency, GI, fasted cardio and so on.

That's what I also think.

Every time I come here I see people asking questions about weight cutting, I figured there might be enough interest that some people would enjoy my input on a subject I'm very familar with. I've made many mistakes making weight in the past and wish I knew then what I know now, this is the method that has always worked wonders for me.

Here goes:

How to lose a ton of weight really quickly

OK, here are the ground rules:

I don't see the post

Back