Nutrition and the CNS

With the kava kava and Vitmain C we varied approaches on doseage and same with the PS. What we did was on all days, lifting or cardio we took 550mg PS PWO. On lifting days we took 3 grams of Vitamin C and 500mg of Kava Kava PWO. When we added the same thing at night as well it seemd to help substantially. However even just PWO showed promise considering PWO we were always taking BCAA, whey and oatmeal.

This is what I based some of it off of.

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Jul 25;4:5.Click here to read Click here to read Links
Phospholipids and sports performance.
J

Neuroendocrinology. 1990 Sep;52(3):243-8.Links
Effects of phosphatidylserine on the neuroendocrine response to physical stress in humans.
Monteleone P, Beinat L, Tanzillo C, Maj M, Kemali D.

Institute of Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, First Medical School, University of Naples, Italy.

The activity of brain cortex-derived phosphatidylserine (BC-PS) on the neuroendocrine and neurovegetative responses to physical stress was tested in 8 healthy men who underwent three experiments with a bicycle ergometer. According to a double-blind design, before starting the exercise, each subject received intravenously, within 10 min, 50 or 75 mg of BC-PS or a volume-matched placebo diluted in 100 ml of saline. Blood samples were collected before and after the exercise for plasma epinephrine (E), norepinephrine (NE), dopamine (DA), adrenocorticotropin (ACTH), cortisol, growth hormone (GH), prolactin (PRL) and glucose determinations. Blood pressure and heart rate were also recorded. Physical stress induced a clear-cut increase in plasma E, NE, ACTH, cortisol, GH and PRL, whereas no significant change was observed in plasma DA and glucose. Pretreatment with both 50 and 75 mg BC-PS significantly blunted the ACTH and cortisol responses to physical stress.

PMID: 2170852 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

: J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2008 Jun;48(2):217-24.Links
Effect of vitamin C supplementation on lipid peroxidation, muscle damage and inflammation after 30-min exercise at 75% v.o(2max).
Nakhostin-Roohi B, Babaei P, Rahmani-Nia F, Bohlooli S.

Department of Exercise Physiology, Guilan University, Rasht, Iran [email protected].

AIM: Hypothetically, supplementation with the antioxidant vitamins C could alleviate exercise-induced lipid peroxidation. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of vitamin C supplementation on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation, muscle damage and inflammation. METHODS: Sixteen healthy untrained male volunteers participated in a 30-min exercise at 75% Vo2max. Subjects were randomly assigned to one of two groups: 1) placebo and 2) vitamin C (VC: 1 000 mg vitamin C). Blood samples were obtained prior to supplementation (baseline), 2 h after supplementation (immediately pre-exercise), post-exercise, 2 and 24 h after exercise. Plasma levels of VC, total antioxidant capacity (TAC), creatine kinase (CK), malondealdehyde (MDA), total leukocytes, neutrophils, lymphocytes, interleukin-6 (IL-6) and cortisol were measured. RESULTS: Plasma vitamin C concentrations increased significantly in the VC in response to supplementation and exercise (P<0.05). TAC decreased significantly in Placebo group 24 h after exercise compared to pre-exercise (P<0.05). Although MDA levels were similar between groups at baseline, it increased significantly 2 h after exercise only in the Placebo group (P<0.05). CK increased immediately and 2 h after exercise in both groups and 24 h after exercise only in placebo group compared to pre-exercise (P<0.05). Markers of inflammation (total leukocyte counts, neutrophil counts and IL-6) were increased significantly in response to the exercise (P<0.05). In VC group, there was significant increase in lymphocyte counts immediately after exercise compared with pre-exercise (P<0.05). Serum cortisol concentrations significantly declined after supplementation compared with baseline (P<0.05) as well as declined 2 and 24 h after exercise compared with immediately after exercise in VC group (P<0.05). CONCLUSION: VC supplementation prevented endurance exercise-induced lipid peroxidation and muscle damage but had no effect on inflammatory markers.

PMID: 18427418 [PubMed - in process]

Thats it for now

This is a good thread guys. I'm sure that all of us go through things similar to this from time to time. Thanks to all who have contributed good advice.

Fantastic information, Vedic.

Anyone have an idea how much lecithin you

Straight off the container of lecithin I have:

Contains 2.3g of PC and 1.4g of Phosphatidyllinositol per 10g serving (2 Tbsp).

---Doesn't mention PS anywhere. I'm sure it's there, but at what concentration, I don't know.

I chuck 2 spoonfuls in a tall mug of coffee with my creatine preWO. It ain't pretty, but I've had much, much worse.

I'm thinking if I should venture into the word of lecithin. But I have so many half tried things kicking about.....I'm not sure if I should begin experimenting with even more things

*sigh*

We all know I will when I get the cash

A curse on you and and your house mike

At least 10 grams of lecithin. PS is expensive, but you guys did ask for specifics on cortisol:) This product is getting stellar reviews and its 800mg per dose. its a lot of money, but really I only take protein, fish, oil, and basics, so adding this isn't really all that much. Anyways, hope it helps.

Primordial Performance - Dermacrine, hormone precursors and estrogen reducers

That's not a bad looking product at all. It's still pretty pricey but I was looking at some of the 100mg pills on the market and it'd be over $100 a month to get 500mg of PS a day. Do you know if it matters if it's all taken at one sitting or split up during the day?

Think of EndoAmp as the protector of your manhood -- It protects your muscles, and it protects your balls

:icon_chee

We did it PWO and before bed. Some studies took it before workout. There are a plethra of ways to take it, but we always did PWO and before bed. Although pre wo may even work quite well. Super Phosphatidylserine by ProSource Performance has their own brand and thats what we used. 550mg per capsule, and it wasn't priced to bad.

33 bucks for a months worth. Yes, you guys love me:icon_chee

That seems pretty damn pricey, especially when 1Lb of lecithin from NOW is 6 bucks.

Nah, and lecithin is going to show more PC than PS. its about double. The prosource one I linked is 1100mg a day os PS for 33 a month. its what we used, and that is a dman good price:)

http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|46706&id=249

Yep, LoL... I'm obviously shopping at the wrong place... $33 for two months supply.

Nah, and lecithin is going to show more PC than PS. its about double. The prosource one I linked is 1100mg a day os PS for 33 a month. its what we used, and that is a dman good price:)

I thought you only did 550mg a day?

I can't seem to find a PS breakdown for lecithin, but if a guy is getting 2.3g of PC per serving, the PS must be at least half that, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Endoamp is a bad product, but from a cost-effective point of view, I'm not sure how lecithin can be beat. Whats the organic source of the phospholipids? Sounds like lecithin to me:

EndoAmp is a brown

We started with that PWO, and at the end we tailed to 1100 a day. Now bear in mind the last three weeks were 1100 because we were restricting calories etc to make weight. IMO 500mg a day PWO is going to work fine. During high times of stress at work, or extra workouts etc yes we bumped it.

Sometimes for me mike, I just don't go the whole route of conversions, and this has that in it etc. I just go and buy the straight product. 33 dollars for 1-2 months is nothing to me. Or the guys I train. Overall between protein etc, its a drop in the bucket.

That looks about right. Sorry mike, it wasn't even close to half.

Back