Number of fighters worldwide, pre/post inaugural UFC champion; lighter weight classes and WMMA only.

acannxr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Featherweight Division
WEC-Champion-Jose-Aldo.jpg

Prior to Jose Aldo being promoted as the UFC's inaugural Featherweight Champion:
356 fighters existed in the Featherweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Jose Aldo was promoted:
425 fighters existed in the Featherweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
550 fighters exist in the Featherweight Division, Worldwide.

Bantamweight Division
10483_original.jpg

Prior to Dominick Cruz being promoted as the UFC's inaugural Bantamweight Champion:
337 fighters existed in the Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Dominick Cruz was promoted:
418 fighters existed in the Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
450 fighters exist in the Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

Flyweight Division
ufc152_11_johnson_vs_benavidez_029.jpg

Prior to Demetrious Johnson winning the UFC's inaugural Flyweight Championship:
169 fighters existed in the Flyweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Demetrious Johnson won the inaugural title:
250 fighters existed in the Flyweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
250 fighters exist in the Flyweight Division, Worldwide.

Women's Featherweight
germaine-randamie-wint-als-eerste-nederlandse-vrouw-ufc-titel.jpg

Prior to Germane de Randamine winning the UFC's inaugural Women's Featherweight Championship:
15 fighters existed in the Women's Featherweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Germane de Randamine won the inaugural title:
15 fighters existed in the Women's Featherweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
15 fighters exist in the Women's Featherweight Division, Worldwide.

Women's Bantamweight
Screen+Shot+2012-03-06+at+8.36.04+AM.png

Prior to Ronda Rousey being promoted as the UFC's inaugural Women's Bantamweight Champion:
28 fighters existed in the Women's Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Ronda Rousey was promoted:
35 fighters existed in the Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
35 fighters exist in the Women's Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

Women's Flyweight
b174cda714af47d9b514021c06eec63d.jpg

Prior to Nicco Montano winning the UFC's inaugural Women's Flyweight Championship:
50 fighters existed in the Women's Flyweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Nicco Montano won the inaugural title:
50 fighters existed in the Women's Flyweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
50 fighters exist in the Women's Flyweight Division, Worldwide.

Women's Strawweight
Dana-White-puts-belt-on-Carla-Esparza.png

Prior to Carla Esparza winning the UFC's inaugural Women's Strawweight Championship:
54 fighters existed in the Women's Strawweight Division, Worldwide.

One year after Carla Esparza won the inaugural title:
60 fighters existed in the Women's Strawweight Division, Worldwide.

Currently:
60 fighters exist in the Women's Strawweight Division, Worldwide.

Source: FightMatrix.
All the female fighters combined only equals 64% of the Men's Flyweight Division.

Last edited:
I've no idea what this is demonstrating... What are these numbers

Are you saying there is 550 Featherweights in the UFC?

I'm not getting it
I'll explain it below:
Featherweight
Pre-Champion: 356
1 Year Post-Champion: 425
Currently: 550
Prior to Jose Aldo being promoted to UFC Featherweight Champion, 356 fighters existed in the division, worldwide.
One year after Jose Aldo was promoted to UFC Featherweight Champion, 425 fighters existed in the division, worldwide.
Currently, 550 fighters exist in the Featherweight division.

If you have any suggestions on how I can edit the thread title and original post to make it easier to understand, feel free to give them.

Thanks TS , You always post a lot of interesting info that I would of never thought about if you didn't bring it up .

I'm not getting it
I think he means number of fighters fight matrix has ranked before they had them in the UFC and after. But it definitely isn't clear in the title.

Well, quantity doesn’t mean quality. Just because one division has more fighters technically doesn’t mean anything. But we all know WMMA only has 2-3 good fighters.

If you have any suggestions on how I can edit the thread title and original post to make it easier to understand, feel free to give them.

The thread title and post is pretty unclear. Im not sure of the best way to say it with the fewest words but this isn't it.

I had to read around to find out what this was.

That’s a lot of soccer moms getting to pretend to be fighters.

I'll explain it below:

Prior to Jose Aldo being promoted to UFC Featherweight Champion, 356 fighters existed in the division, worldwide.
One year after Jose Aldo was promoted to UFC Featherweight Champion, 425 fighters existed in the division, worldwide.

This is just wrong, useless info. Fightmatrix doesn't rank and cover all the fighters globally, not even close.

This is just wrong, useless info. Fightmatrix doesn't rank and cover all the fighters globally, not even close.
And Tapology doesn't update nearly as frequently as FightMatrix, nor does it have historical rankings. Your criticism is pointless.

And Tapology doesn't update nearly as frequently as FightMatrix, nor does it have historical rankings. Your criticism is pointless.

Doesn't matter, saying things like "356 fighters existed in the Featherweight Division, Worldwide" is basically a lie. Shit thread.

I'll explain it below:

OK. Now I get it

Very detailed edit. Appreciate that.

Does this show which divisions dont have growth potential? But let's also remember 155 was talked about like men's 105 at one point.

But even Flyweight has grown a decent chunk since the creation of the weightclass on a major level. Women's divisions not so much.

Women's Bantamweight
Currently:
35 fighters exist in the Women's Bantamweight Division, Worldwide.

That number 35 seems much too small. Tapology ranks 107 of the "current best" women's bantamweights. Some on the list are retired, like Meisha Tate, but I find it hard to believe that only 35 are active worldwide.

Back