Numb hands with a tingling sensation

UnderTheBridge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My hands have been numb and tingling for several days. I wonder if this is caused by my boxing training. They feel like there is a lack of blood supply, like if I sit on them for a long time. Are my hand wraps too tight? Did I fuck up my hands by hitting the heavy bag? Anyone else experienced this before? This kinda worries me.

Last edited:
If it's a funny tingling sensation between the skin of your thumb or the skin of your fingers; it could be light nerve damage.

did you do anything in the gym or elsewhere that may have injured your neck? It could be a pinched nerve if it's lasted more than a couple days. If you also have mild/moderate pain along your shoulder/arm/wrist in addition to the numbness then you definitely should go to the doctor. I'm still recovering from a C6/C7 herniated disc which caused a pinched nerve and the symptoms I described, which I got from rolling in a grappling class but i'd imagine you could get the same type of injury from sparring boxing.

If it's not getting better, don't "train through the pain" - you will not make it better that way. Best of luck, hope it's just some minor nerve damage, could take a week or so to go away.

No I don't have any problem with my neck or arms and I didn't injure them, and I haven't sparred in a long time. I hit the heavy bag frequently, tough.

That used to happen to me when I didn't land properly on the bag, though never for days at a time. I'd just get tingly hands when I tweaked my wrist, usually on hooks. Make sure you wrap your hands, wear good gloves, and punch correctly.

well at first I was gonna tell you that you've likely just damaged the nerves in your forearm a bit by landing awkwardly on the bag.

but then I reread your post,HANDS as in plural? As in both your hands have been numb and tingly for days? It is uncommon to hurt both hands in the same exact fashion at the same time, but not impossible. it doesn't rule out traumatic injury as the underlying cause, but it does make it far less likely, therefore it is possible your symptoms are being caused by something other than boxing (IE diabetes, alcoholism, vitamin b12 deficiency etc).

Obviously some of these causes might not apply to you, for example if you dont drink, but ya you might want to get it checked out, especially if you think its gotten worse not better since the incident, or if you have a history of cardiovascular disease,diabetes, or obesity or anything like that. Again not to worry you, but it is unusual that you would physically injure both hands, and numbness/ tingling of the hands or feet can be associated with some bad diseases.

Last edited:
I agree with Unearth: It may be due to a repetitive stress injury while hitting the bag, but it could also be unrelated.

Is the numbness and tingling on a specific area of the hand, or is it all over the place?

You don't want to screw around though because it can be as simple as a minor injury that you need to rest to heal, or it could be the beginning stages of something like Raynaud's Syndrome. Visit a licensed massage therapist, or your G.P. Both can help narrow down some of the possibilities. Either way, give the heavy bag a rest for a little while.

I believe this is what is usually called, forgive me if I spell it wrong "carpal tunnel syndrome" its nothing to huge, just a pinched nerve. I get this every now and again especially after a long day of training, Ive spoken to a Dr and apparently it can be fixed with a small surgical operation to the hand/wrist...that is if you think its necessary, I didnt. Either that or your going to have a stroke:icon_twis???

Yeah, that's another common possiblity, Expression.

That's why I asked where he feels the tingling. If it's Carpel Tunnel (Median Nerve pain) then he'll only feel it in the palm of the thumb, index, middle, and half of the ring fingers. Or in the wrist itself.

if your hands are numbs its probably coming from your neck or your shoulder blades .. heat, massage , and excersize around the muscles

i am sorry to be a sick necro .. i havent been up all night due to neck pain and controlled substances

1) wraps too tight = poor blood flow = numb and tingly
2) poor technique = damaged hands = damaged nerves = numb and tingly. (hint if it's the wrist)
3) over usage = no time to heal = arthritis = pain

That's all I can think of for now. Basically have proper techniques and let your hands rest, especially if you're new. I think poor technique is the biggest culprit. Almost every new boxer have the same problem. Go light and slow to learn the technique first. Then slowly add in speed and power.

Stop sitting on your hands for that.........numb hand special,.........

Does no-one realise that this thread started back in 2012?

He needed this advice 5 years ago...

1371974783534.gif

Back