NSAC Exec: Good Stoppage of Kovalev, Ward's Shots Were Legal

Draper

Bronze Bomber
@purple
Reaction score
From BoxingScene:
Bob Bennett, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, saw no issue with Saturday's ruling by referee Tony Weeks, who stopped the Andre Ward vs. Sergey Kovalev rematch in the eight round at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Kovalev was hurt bad by a right hand, and then Ward swarmed on him with shots to the body. Kovalev claims that several of the shots were very low and forced him to sit on the ropes.

Weeks felt Kovalev was not punching back or defending himself, so he stepped in to wave off the fight. Ward retained his IBF, WBA, WBO light heavyweight world titles.

ward-kovalev-rematch-fight%20(25).jpg

Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, who promotes Kovalev, plans to submit a protest to the NSAC.

Bennett spoke with Weeks, and the veteran referee saw no issue with the punches that were landed by Ward. Bennett, who also felt the punches looked good, completely backs the referee in this situation and said the stoppage was well done.

“In all fairness to Kathy, she’s upset. It’s her fighter,” Bennett said to USA Today. “I felt we had it right the first time. And I thought Tony did a great job this time. I’ve reviewed the fight this morning. I looked at those punches that were allegedly low, and even spoke to (HBO’s) Tom Hauser, who sent me a video, saying one of those punches was low but it was very hard to determine because Kovalev’s arm was by his waist, and the punch looks like it comes up underneath and hits on the belt line.

“Kathy said, ‘Bob, can’t you take a look at the instant replay?’ But the only way we can look at an instant replay is under one condition: when a punch or kick below the belt terminates the bout and the referee isn’t sure whether it’s a legal or illegal blow. I asked [Weeks], ‘Do you want to look at the instant replay, and he said no. He said I’m satisfied they were on the beltline.’ And it was clear from my viewpoint that the punches were on the beltline."

“It’s rather interesting at the end that when Ward hits him in the stomach at the end, he sat on the ropes. And the punch looked good. Weeks was in good position to see where those blows landed and they’re right on the belt line. Are they close? Sure. But do they look good? Yeah. Did he have one or two low blows where Tony told him to keep them up? You could argue that he did. But at the same time you could argue that Kovalev put Ward in numerous headlocks and Tony had to reprimand both of them. I think the stoppage was good."

- See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/nsac-exe...ward-shots-legal--117696#sthash.7wsDUTsK.dpuf

they were legal but close. Kov wanted out of that fight

they were legal but close. Kov wanted out of that fight
there was barely a low blow in the mix if you got literal on each one.

the one that really looked like it hurt him was the first of the last 4 low shows, that shot was in no way low, at least one of the last three follow ups was low i think it was the last one.

It's over. He lost. Ward was lighting him up and is clearly the superior fighter.

EnIGUnJ.gif

The way people are acting as though Kova was robbed of his opportunity to make a comeback in this fight is so precious. He can't beat Ward. He never will get another chance. LOL

Lets be real, first fight Kovalev won 7-5. Second fight on judges score Kovalev had 1 point advantage, Kovalev got rocked in last round, but for low blows judges should have taken away 1 point from Ward, so it would have been draw coming to next round.
In corrupt (real) world ,first fight he got robbed and second fight was illegal stoppage. But why in the hell, people here still saying that Ward won fair and square?Probably because of Russia vs USA and its pathetic!

Lets be real, first fight Kovalev won 7-5. Second fight on judges score Kovalev had 1 point advantage, Kovalev got rocked in last round, but for low blows judges should have taken away 1 point from Ward, so it would have been draw coming to next round.
In corrupt (real) world ,first fight he got robbed and second fight was illegal stoppage. But why in the hell, people here still saying that Ward won fair and square?Probably because of Russia vs USA and its pathetic!

Kova was looking for a way out from the ref from completely legal shots. There were a few debatable shots during the final exchange because it was a bit wild and Kova wouldn't stop bending over... but the shots that hurt him the most and caused him to double over in pain were legal. The right hand put him into panic mode and he was looking to the ref to save him so the ref saved him.

He was done.

Duva can still protest, but Weeks is the sole arbitrator and he's sticking to his decision.
Bennett said he told Duva that the referee is the sole arbitrator and Weeks was not interested in reviewing it because he didn't think it was a controversial call and he thought the punches were good.

“Tony is a world-renowned ref, and I back his play 100 percent,” Bennett said. “I usually don’t comment on what the media or the announcers say because it could swing both ways for us or against us.

“We don’t have a vested interest. We’re not emotionally involved.”

Bennett said Duva can go forward with her protest, but under Nevada code 467, the referee’s the sole arbitrator. “We will respectfully and professionally entertain her protest and I will forward it to our legal counsel for review, and if that comes to fruition then we will make our determination,” he said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sion-late-punch-possible-low-blows/407508001/

Kovalev fans need to accept that he LOST, and not just the second fight. Ward is simply the better fighter.

The way people are acting as though Kova was robbed of his opportunity to make a comeback in this fight is so precious. He can't beat Ward. He never will get another chance. LOL

That pisses me off too. The idea that he was still in the fight is a fantasy.

Duva can still protest, but Weeks is the sole arbitrator and he's sticking to his decision.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sion-late-punch-possible-low-blows/407508001/

Kovalev fans need to accept that he LOST, and not just the second fight. Ward is simply the better fighter.

Kovalev won the first fight and Ward could only 'win' by resorting to illegal tactics. Ward cannot beat Kovalev using actual boxing skills, so he has to resort to wrestling, clinching and low blows.

Kovalev won the first fight and Ward could only 'win' by resorting to illegal tactics. Ward cannot beat Kovalev using actual boxing skills, so he has to resort to wrestling, clinching and low blows.
You seem bitter. Was Kovalev your favorite fighter? I say was because I'm sure your new favorite fighter is Artur Beterbiev. <45>

UD.
TKO.
32-0.

"illegal tactics"

You seem bitter. Was Kovalev your favorite fighter? I say was because I'm sure your new favorite fighter is Artur Beterbiev. <45>

UD.
TKO.
32-0.
I'm bitter as fuck.

Not because Kovalev lost, but because I spent $70 and was ROBBED of a genuine conclusion to the fight.

The biggest fight in a long ass time and it ends on a series of fouls. THAT pisses me off, and I won money on the fight btw.

It was fucking bullshit.

Back