NRA Busted Breaking Campaign Finance Law

Citizens United stated that independent expenditures are protected. Unreported coordinated expenditures are a violation of the law.

You're wrong here, friend.

No, they wouldn't win. And I have no idea why you're citing to Marbury v. Madison. Affirming that courts can strike down unconstitutional laws, which literally no one is denying, does nothing for your argument.
The NRA has a right to free speech.

A campaign finance law doesn't invalidate their right to free speech.

"A law repugnant to the Constitution is void."
- John Marshall
4th Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court,
Marbury vs. Madison.

How is it that a Farmer in the middle of God's Country USA is better at this lawyerin' stuff than a supposed lawyer?

The Supreme Court has never held that free speech is absolute.

Get back to me when someone is convicted of something and it stands up.

The NRA has a right to free speech.

A campaign finance law doesn't invalidate their right to free speech.

Yes, it does when that speech is coordinated with a campaign for governmental office, which is a longstanding compelling government interest that is narrowly tailored in a way that allows for alternative expression (independent expenditures - speech that isn't coordinated with the campaign).

"A law repugnant to the Constitution is void."
- John Marshall
4th Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court,
Marbury vs. Madison.

Again, you quoting Marbury v. Madison does nothing. This is settled law that has endured throughout the history of campaign finance jurisprudence.

How is it that a Farmer in the middle of God's Country USA is better at this lawyerin' stuff than a supposed lawyer?

0FZR2.png

@Bobby 3 Sticks
You keep on trying sail that partisan ship though

Are you seriously this dumb, your opening post is partisan

So keep pushing your partisan agenda

There's a law that says one person can't talk to another person about politics? Sounds like a free speech violation.

What about insider trading? That could be described as people just talking. Price fixing too. Could you make the argument that people just talking to each other to fix prices is free speech?

If you lie in court is that free speech? What if you share classified information?

There are 100 ways that your speech is not free. You can break the law with your words.

How isn't it? As we know from Citizens United, advertising expenditures are free speech. Discussing politics is free speech. Coordinating an ad buy is engaging in two forms of protected speech.

And if you wanna be snide, at least don't use logical fallacies in the process (i.e. hasty generalization).
Shooting guns is legal, and standing in front of people is legal. So why the fuck is it illegal to shoot a gun while standing in front of somebody?

Doggamn liberals!!!

Breaking campaign finance laws and colluding with Russia, such honorable patriotism!

No, they wouldn't win. And I have no idea why you're citing to Marbury v. Madison. Affirming that courts can strike down unconstitutional laws, which literally no one is denying, does nothing for your argument.
Just wait till he starts in on Miller

You were warned

Just wait till he starts in on Miller

You were warned

US v. Miller? The 2A case?

I don't remember much about it tbh. I focused on Con Law in school but never maintained much focus/interest in 2A past Con Law I and II. But I'm pretty well-versed in 1A, haha.

Who here is familiar with Dred Scott?
I'd like to quote Justice Allen Ginsberg if I might:

"
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz,
who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated,
who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes hallucinating Arkansas and Blake-light tragedy among the scholars of war,
who were expelled from the academies for crazy & publishing obscene odes on the windows of the skull,
who cowered in unshaven rooms in underwear, burning their money in wastebaskets and listening to the Terror through the wall,
who got busted in their pubic beards returning through Laredo with a belt of marijuana for New York,
who ate fire in paint hotels or drank turpentine in Paradise Alley, death, or purgatoried their torsos night after night
with dreams, with drugs, with waking nightmares, alcohol and cock and endless balls"

The precedent is clear.

What about insider trading? That could be described as people just talking. Price fixing too. Could you make the argument that people just talking to each other to fix prices is free speech?

If you lie in court is that free speech? What if you share classified information?

There are 100 ways that your speech is not free. You can break the law with your words.

I've never understood things like fraud and perjury to be within anyone's historical understanding of free speech. Have you? Whereas on the other hand, political speech is exactly the type of speech the Amendment was enshrined to protect. I'd go so far as to say none is more important than that.

What principles are you applying? The ol' "rights aren't unlimited" so ipso facto if you like the potential result it's clearly Constitutional? :D

I've never understood things like fraud and perjury to be within anyone's historical understanding of free speech. Have you? Whereas on the other hand, political speech is exactly the type of speech the Amendment was enshrined to protect. I'd go so far as to say none is more important than that.

What principles are you applying? The ol' "rights aren't unlimited" so ipso facto if you like the potential result it's clearly Constitutional? :D

Lol, no the only point I'm making is that there are tons of laws in place that limit what you can say. It's not a rarity, or an infringement, it's just necessary in certain industries.

The NRA-ILA, a 501(c)(4) “dark-money” group, is legally barred from coordinating its ad buys with a federal campaign. Because they identify as dark money group they can't coordinate ad buys aka spending money with candidates for federal office.

Not sure how this is a free speech violation but ok

He said he "expects the NRA to come in". He doesn't make promises.

What explicit comment do you believe is illegal?

Lol, no the only point I'm making is that there are tons of laws in place that limit what you can say. It's not a rarity, or an infringement, it's just necessary in certain industries.

Yep. Just like laws against threatening/attacking people with weapons aren't a violation of the right to keep an bear arms. That doesn't really pave the way for any law one can conceive of, does it? The existence of laws against fraud and perjury in no way justify laws against the coordinating of political campaign advertising.

By coordinating with a political campaign.

I bet I don't have to even tell you what letter is after his name (R)

Lordy there are tapes.

Yes this direct coordination is illegal

Do you stalk Dana Loesch on Twitter too?

@Bobby 3 Sticks

Are you seriously this dumb, your opening post is partisan

So keep pushing your partisan agenda
Of course my post was bashing a Republican .The NRA ponies up the big money for mostly Republicans. Had this been a story about a dem doing shady illegal election finance shit . I'd post it too. The sooner corrupt as fuck money is out of politics the better we'll be

He said he "expects the NRA to come in". He doesn't make promises.

What explicit comment do you believe is illegal?
Sure. He expects the NRA based on the the convo he had and the timing discussed . The NRA then did back him in almost 400k of ads

Do you stalk Dana Loesch on Twitter too?
Uhh wtf you even going on about

{<huh}

Back