NPR taking heat

JonnyRingo84

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
NPR claims that they're taking heat from some of their own listeners, for not calling trump out on provable lies and exaggerations. for example, they refuse to use the word "lie."

their explanation:

"A false statement made with intent to deceive," says Kelly. "Intent being the key word there. Without the ability to peer into Donald Trump's head, I can't tell you what his intent was. I can tell you what he said and how that squares, or doesn't, with facts."

"Our job as journalists is to report, to find facts, and establish their authenticity and share them with everybody," says Oreskes. "It's really important that people understand that these aren't our opinions. ... These are things we've established through our journalism, through our reporting ... and I think the minute you start branding things with a word like 'lie,' you push people away from you."

examples

For example, in 2015, candidate Trump claimed that when the World Trade Center was attacked on Sept. 11, "I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down."

The claim was never substantiated and NPR said so. But we didn't call him a liar.

This time, NPR's Mary Louise Kelly reported on Trump's fence-mending visit to the CIA's headquarters in Langley, Va., the day after his inauguration. Despite his tweets comparing the intelligence services to those of Nazi Germany, Trump told his audience he is with them "a thousand percent." He also said that the media were to blame for making up the feud between him and the intelligence services. Kelly said, "It's provably not true. In that same speech out of the CIA this weekend, Trump also falsely inflated the size of the crowd at his inauguration."

Now many listeners want to know why Kelly didn't just call the president a liar.

thoughts?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/25/511503605/npr-and-the-l-word-intent-is-key

Last edited:
Left eats Left
So Full
Salty

its not a lie anymore, its an alternative fact.

I wonder how many Trump supporters beleive alternative facts > ... well facts.

NPR couldn't get it together to call the Soviets liars.

Left eats Left
So Full
Salty

you think NPR qualifies as a "left" source? how so?

id say they may SLIGHTLY lean left based on their choices of coverage, and occasionally an anchor's opinion will come out, but theyre about as objective a source as is possible to have.

So the left and right agree. NPR is garbage.

how so?

news-sources-fdu.jpg

its not a lie anymore, its an alternative fact.

I wonder how many Trump supporters beleive alternative facts > ... well facts.

When he said that I'm pretty sure he misspoke.
These guys are not stupid.

This thread is an example of leftists complaints. And Trump wants to defund them. That's what I meant

So the left is upset that left wing NPR isn't hard enough on Trump? Ok it's settled, defund NPR 100%

you think NPR qualifies as a "left" source? how so?

id say they may SLIGHTLY lean left based on their choices of coverage, and occasionally an anchor's opinion will come out, but theyre about as objective a source as is possible to have.
They are a self-styled moderate news source that mostly covers left leaning news items. When they have guest speakers, they are usually left leaning speakers. I used to listen to them every day on the way to work and on the way home. I stopped when I noticed none of the special interest pieces or news coverage I was hearing truly presented equal time or consideration for conservative viewpoints. They are by no means radical left, but they are certainly left leaning in the topics they present, the guests they bring on and in the opinions of their presenters when it comes to domestic concerns.

When he said that I'm pretty sure he misspoke.
These guys are not stupid.

I do not think its about being stupid, more about if they say the same thing often enough they will believe it,

According to the war room NPR is nothing but leftist propaganda.

Wasn't NPR that said that but a discussion between two reporters.

NPR did the right thing. I wish journalists would follow suit. It's not up to researching journalist to try a interpret someones thought. A lie is a deliberate action to deceive. Unless there is documented evidence that he knew the facts and tried to deliberately deceive people then you have to report the fact. The fact is he made a statement that was false. There's no evidence to say if he knew it was false or not at the time he said it. People that listen can form their own opinion but kudos to NPR for reporting the facts.

That said, he either lied or is ignorant. Either isn't very good when you are the most powerful person on the planet.

I've never liked the idea of government-provided news. And I find it surprising how many people take it as the norm.

They are a self-styled moderate news source that mostly covers left leaning news items. When they have guest speakers, they are usually left leaning speakers. I used to listen to them every day on the way to work and on the way home. I stopped when I noticed none of the special interest pieces or news coverage I was hearing truly presented equal time or consideration for conservative viewpoints. They are by no means radical left, but they are certainly left leaning in the topics they present, the guests they bring on and in the opinions of their presenters when it comes to domestic concerns.

i would mostly agree, but i think they give more legitimate non-strawman attention to the other side than any other source im aware of.

what sources do you prefer?

I've never liked the idea of government-provided news. And I find it surprising how many people take it as the norm.

its not govt. provided. they chip in, but just barely. most of it is listener contributions.

what news do you prefer? the kind paid by click bait page hits? paid for by pepsi and exon ads? all sources have their pros and cons.

So the left is upset that left wing NPR isn't hard enough on Trump? Ok it's settled, defund NPR 100%

why? left leaning, yes. more objective than your prefered sources? also yes.

and the govt barely funds them. mostly listener supported.

Back