Now is the Perfect Time to Create a Junior Welterweight Division

delbosque

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
GSP has little or no interest in defending the MW title. MW is filled with worthy contenders who are craving a shot at the belt. T-Wood does not have any clear contender. T-Wood wants to fight GSP. GSP appears to want to move down in weight. Conor has frozen the entire LW division. Fighters like Gastelum and RDA are stuck in between weight classes.

The time is right to change the welterweight division to 175 and create a junior welterweight division at 165. GSP can vacate the MW title. The UFC can then make GSP vs. T-Wood for the WW title, now contested at 175. GSP gets to move down and fight for a belt; T-Wood gets his payday and the opportunity to fight a legend. If Kelvin Gastelum beats Bisping, he can then move down to 175 as the next contender.

Luke Rockhold then fights Robert Whittaker in Australia for the real MW title. Guys like Romero, Jacare, Brunson, and Weidman then take their place in line. Create an 8-man tourney to crown the new junior welterweight champion (165 lbs). The tournament can include guys like Cerrone, RDA, Masvidal, and whoever else volunteers and merits an opportunity.

Finally, strip Conor of the LW title and promote El Cucuy to champion. This will set the UFC up for the post-Conor era and will allow the divisions to get back on track. If Conor comes back, there will be one more belt for him to win and never defend. But at least there will be other champs presiding properly over their weight classes.

I know this is not an original idea, but the time is right for the UFC to make it happen.

Did GSP tell you he has no interest in defending the MW Belt?

You can't move an entire division just like that....

Did he tell you he had “little or no” interest?

Watch his interview with Ariel. That was the impression I got. No, GSP did not confide in me with this information. But it is my opinion.

Where is this whole GSP doesn't want to defend the title BS come from?

He's said from the start his contract states that if he beat Bisping his next fight is against Whittaker

No thanks Jr.
But let's end 125 and WMMA divisions.

Where is this whole GSP doesn't want to defend the title BS come from?

He's said from the start his contract states that if he beat Bisping his next fight is against Whittaker

It's been widely reported that his camp wants him to move down in weight. Although GSP has acknowledged that a title defense is required in his contact, he has also suggested that things change all the time in MMA.

GSP has little or no interest in defending the MW title. MW is filled with worthy contenders who are craving a shot at the belt. T-Wood does not have any clear contender. T-Wood wants to fight GSP. GSP appears to want to move down in weight. Conor has frozen the entire LW division. Fighters like Gastelum and RDA are stuck in between weight classes.

The time is right to change the welterweight division to 175 and create a junior welterweight division at 165. GSP can vacate the MW title. The UFC can then make GSP vs. T-Wood for the WW title, now contested at 175. GSP gets to move down and fight for a belt; T-Wood gets his payday and the opportunity to fight a legend. If Kelvin Gastelum beats Bisping, he can then move down to 175 as the next contender.

Luke Rockhold then fights Robert Whittaker in Australia for the real MW title. Guys like Romero, Jacare, Brunson, and Weidman then take their place in line. Create an 8-man tourney to crown the new junior welterweight champion (165 lbs). The tournament can include guys like Cerrone, RDA, Masvidal, and whoever else volunteers and merits an opportunity.

Finally, strip Conor of the LW title and promote El Cucuy to champion. This will set the UFC up for the post-Conor era and will allow the divisions to get back on track. If Conor comes back, there will be one more belt for him to win and never defend. But at least there will be other champs presiding properly over their weight classes.

I know this is not an original idea, but the time is right for the UFC to make it happen.
So you completely missed where GSP said he's fighting Whittaker next

So you completely missed where GSP said he's fighting Whittaker next

No, I didn't. I've already explained this. GSP himself has indicated that the fight is not a lock yet, even though it's in his contract.

No, I didn't. I've already explained this. GSP himself has indicated that the fight is not a lock yet, even though it's in his contract.
GSP himself said he's obligated to fight Whittaker

GSP himself said he's obligated to fight Whittaker

I don't disagree. I'm obligated to do things all the time that I have little interest in and wish that I didn't have to do. Fact is that I am of the opinion that GSP doesn't really want to defend the MW title. And I'm entitled to that opinion. Moving on.

They shoukd fold the divisions so there is exactly half.

Back