Now is the best time to create the 165 and 175 divisions and here's why

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date

would you like these divisions to be created?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 512089

First of all, when i say create the 165&175 div, i also mean remove 170, because it's obvious that 5 pounds is too small of a gap to be taken seriously. Make 165 super-lightweight and 175 the new Welterweight div, with the WW champ keeping his belt of course

The UFC, the fighters and the fans will all benefit from this, here's why:

1. As time goes by, fighters in general and lightweights in particular are cutting more and more weight, with tony ferguson being over 200 pounds, Kevin Lee saying he's 186lbs and Khabib repeatedly missing weight. These guys won't go to WW anytime soon and LW is harming their body and their performance, which is not good for us fan

2. A bunch of very good lightweights that are a lil bit too big to make 155 easily but a lil bit too small for 170 are forced either to cut a shit ton of weight or to fight bigger and taller or stockier men. Dos Anjos is the first that comes to mind. That should not be like that. Cerrone and Masvidal can be counted too

2. 165 would be stacked. with Ferguson, Khabib, Lee, Barboza and big lightweights jumping on the occasion; guys like Dos Anjos, Cerrone and Masvidal coming back, and WW like Cowboy Oliveira or Gunnar Nelson would try their hand too. That will clearly be a division of its own

3. The size gap between real lightweights like Eddie Alvarez, Anthony Pettis, Dustin Poirier, Jim Miller and such and between the uber lightweights that dehydrate to death is now too much. t's almost like it's not even fair anymore

4. The UFC needs to protect its golden goose aka Conor Mcgregor. And as much as i dislike him, i admit his unparalleled talent for self promotion is good to ufc and mma in the actual state of things. Let's be real,the bigger lightweights are too much of a threat for him, as he is more of a natural 155 than them

5. 155 will also benefit from this, with featherweights crossing the bridge more easily for superfights or to try it out, the 6 foot 200lbs guys being removed from the picture. A guy like Aldo will definitely move to LW in this state of things. Frankie could make a return too. Max Holloway could be relevant in this kinf of 155 division. Jeremy Stephens and Gilbert Melendez could return too being more at ease

6. The new 175 WW division will be great too, they'll lose some super-lightweights, but they'll gain back a very relevant young talent in Gastelum, and some former 170'ers like Nate the Great. TRT-less Vitor would probably do it too since he hinted moving at 170 before. Whittaker could even try it if he needs to in the future. Not to say it will make GSP's return to the division wayyy easier

Outside of the divisions in themselves, it will benefit us in the fact that :

a- We'll have 3 stacked divisions with competitive matchups
b- Less fights cancelled because of missing weight
c- more frequent fights year round, guys like Khabib not needing to cut weight during four month before fighting
d- Healtiest and less dehydrated fighters with more durability and chin, which translates in more exciting fights
e- more competitive fights, the physical factor being more even, the edge will be more in the technique, fight I.Q and heart
d- we push the possibility of a fighter dying from kidney failure further, which would harm the sport a loot if it happens in the UFC

The three new divisions could look like that (hypothetical) :

Lightweight (155): Mcgregor, Alvarez, Diaz, Pettis, Poirier, Johnson, Aldo, Stephens, Melendez, Iaquinta

Super-Lightweight (165) : Ferguson, Lee, Khabib, Barboza, Dos Anjos, Cerrone, Masvidal, Oliveira, Gunnar, Chiesa

Weltergeight (175) : Woodley, Gastelum, Thompson, Lawler, Maia, Magny, Belfort, Ponzi, Covington, Perry (and GSP after the middleweigt stint)

What do you guys think of this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
No thank you.

They would just fill the divisions up with bums from their garbage reality shows like they're starting to do with the divisions they already have.

I can pass on more watered down garbage.

No thank you.

They would just fill the divisions up with bums from their garbage reality shows like they're starting to do with the divisions they already have.

I can pass on more watered down garbage.

You should see it in the angle that it will give more room for young talents

Ferguson, Jonhson, Gastelum come from a reality show and i'm happy we have them, they're skilled and exciting fighters

You should see it in the angle that it will give more room for young talents

Ferguson, Jonhson, Gastelum come from a reality show and i'm happy we have them, they're skilled and exciting fighters

I don't care about "young" talent. I care about talent. And there's lots of talent out there right now that they're either ignoring or cutting because they don't want to pay them near their value.... and they don't pay them near their value because they can just get hacks from their reality shows instead.

I'll rather have Mousasi or Minakov than any of the hacks they're giving contracts on that show. Besides, if this young talent is any good.... they'd just make it to the UFC anyway right?

Just raise the weight-limits for the divisions up till LW by 5 lbs:

FLW 130, BW 140, FW 150, LW 160, WW 170, MW 185
[ increases the manlet weight, and decreases jump from 155 to 170 ]

LHW 205, HW 245 (or)
LHW 200, CW 220, HW 245.
[ HW ceiling needs to be lowered, force fighters to do cardio! ]

Last edited:
Did not read that long pile of shit

Anyone who thinks there should be more weight classes is a retard vegetable.

If anything there should be less classes. Thinking about adding more weight classes is idiotic period.

LHW 205, HW 245 (or)
LHW 200, CW 220, HW 245.

Adding a CW division is a terrible idea! You would be splitting an already terrible division in half

I don't care about "young" talent. I care about talent. And there's lots of talent out there right now that they're either ignoring or cutting because they don't want to pay them near their value.... and they don't pay them near their value because they can just get hacks from their reality shows instead.

I'll rather have Mousasi or Minakov than any of the hacks they're giving contracts on that show. Besides, if this young talent is any good.... they'd just make it to the UFC anyway right?

Well can't say that i don't agree about the fighters pay or letting Mousasi go... I'm a Moose fan by the way. And i'd also love to have a Minakov vs Stipe fight

Just feel like it's not exactly the same subject. Those division will immediately stacked with known fighters and exciting matchup

Building up talent is a natural process that will always happen, if it's done with precaution it doesn't water cards. UFC is at fault if it's the case

Do you not agree with the points i've made about cutting weight and less fight cancelation because of it ? Just curious

Adding a CW division is a terrible idea! You would be splitting an already terrible division in half

Hence, the (or) ..did you see that?
Some people want a CW, some don't.

I just copy-pasted my suggestion from the 20 other threads on this that get made every month.

Just raise the weight-limits for the divisions up till LW by 5 lbs:

LHW 205, HW 245 (or)
LHW 200, CW 220, HW 245.

Hmm... Not a bad idea... But i still think that adding another weight class is the solution in the lower weights

Hmm... Not a bad idea... But i still think that adding another weight class is the solution in the lower weights

Once you adjust by 5 lbs, why would you need an additional weightclass?

There are some people who already complain about FLW being two small. So my suggestion fixes two probs with one stone: Increases FLW from 125 to 130; and decreases the absurd 15.lb jump from 155 to 170 that affects so many fighters.

Oh, I should also point out there is an active LOBBY to make sure 170 never gets scrapped from among the commissions, apparently its "iconic". So you're suggestion would realistically never be adopted.

Did not read that long pile of shit

Anyone who thinks there should be more weight classes is a retard vegetable.

If anything there should be less classes. Thinking about adding more weight classes is idiotic period.

So much arguments. I'm baffled

But seriously, wanting even less weight classes is just setting up the stage for fatal kidney failures or at least more canceled fights... It's a statement that do not understand any of the actual dynamics of the sport, especially the weight cutting frenzy that you can't forbid, just lessen

Fighters have evolved in their methods of cutting weight during the last 10 years, the sport has to adapt

But yeah, any opinion different your brilliant mind's is idiotic you badass

The UFC actually needs to delete some weight classes. The more you have, the less special the belts become and the harder it is for casual fans to follow. These are both very bad.

So much arguments. I'm baffled

But seriously, wanting even less weight classes is just setting up the stage for fatal kidney failures or at least more canceled fights... It's a statement that do not understand any of the actual dynamics of the sport, especially the weight cutting frenzy that you can't forbid, just lessen

Fighters have evolved in their methods of cutting weight during the last 10 years, the sport has to adapt

But yeah, any opinion different your brilliant mind's is idiotic you badass

Write a book and cry about it.

agree and UFC has like 100 friggin’ lightweights who need to fight more than once a year. Have at least 3 guys who should have got title shots yesterday based on history of how title shots where given in past (6-7 wins in a row)

More weight class gives these guys a shot.

BTW I think ferg lies about his weight. He's come in under multiple times. 153 wiith jeans on in mexico city for example. WTF? says he can make 145. dudes super skinny like holloway no way is he ever 200 lbs.

Last edited:
Once your adjust by 5 lbs, why would you need an additional weightclass?

There are some people who already complain about FLW being two small. So my suggestion fixes two probs with one stone: Increases FLW from 125 to 130; and decreases the absurd jump from 155 to 170 that affects so many fighters.

Oh, I should also point out there is an active LOBBY to make sure 170 never gets scrapped from among the commissions, apparently its "iconic". So you're suggestion would realistically never be adopted.

Well i like it but i just think that you move the problem this way, not remove it. It solves LW problems but creates one for some FLW's. It's not a bad idea anyway and i would prefer it rather than the current situation

As for the lobby you're right, it makes things difficult. Although CSAC already has proposed the 165 and 175 divs so you never know. But true the "iconic" thing is there, i just feel it's really stupid. We'll see

Well i like it but i just think that you move the problem this way, not remove it. It solves LW problems but creates one for some FLW's. It's not a bad idea anyway and i would prefer it rather than the current situation

As for the lobby you're right, it makes things difficult. Although CSAC already has proposed the 165 and 175 divs so you never know. But true the "iconic" thing is there, i just feel it's really stupid. We'll see

How does it affect FLWs? Anybody who's weighing-in at 125 is already coming in at 130+.

The few smaller individuals who it may affect, shouldn't become the liability from actually getting change implemented overall. The FLW division is already a mess, between some people boycotting it, and Mighty Mouse single-handedly dominating it. 130 creating instability in the div would actually be a positive.

Well can't say that i don't agree about the fighters pay or letting Mousasi go... I'm a Moose fan by the way. And i'd also love to have a Minakov vs Stipe fight

Just feel like it's not exactly the same subject. Those division will immediately stacked with known fighters and exciting matchup

Building up talent is a natural process that will always happen, if it's done with precaution it doesn't water cards. UFC is at fault if it's the case

Do you not agree with the points i've made about cutting weight and less fight cancelation because of it ? Just curious

UFC is supposed to be the pinnacle of MMA... and you're signing guys with like 5 pro fights? but won't sign established top-tier talent like Mousasi, Minakov, Bader, etc? That seems like exactly the wrong way to go if they want the UFC to remain at the pinnacle. They're just looking for the next McGregor and its more about personality and marketability than actual skill and talent.

I think there's other ways to reduce weight cutting and it's issues without watering down the sport and encouraging more reality TV garbage and its fabricated stars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back