Now illegal to use wrong pronouns in Canada; Bill C16 passes

So, prior to this Canadian law allowed discrimination?
Seems odd.

No, of course not. The Human Rights Act made it illegal to discriminate on the grounds of sex, sexual orientation, race, marital status, age, disability, and I'm missing a bunch of others I'm sure. In the 90s the grounds of sex and disability were interpreted to include transsexuals. So no, prior to today you weren't able to deny a tranny housing, or service, or whatever else without repercussion. But you know how it goes with politics, and especially with LGBQT activism. All that's changed is that they added "gender identity or expression" (what exactly does that mean, gender expression? What you're wearing?) to the Human Rights Act and also to the Criminal Code as an "identifiable group" in regards to hate crimes, "hate propaganda" and advocating genocide. I'm not sure how that all works but I find it hard to believe that before this passed we were allowed to advocate genocide against trannys? Well if anyone wanted to do it legally, they missed their chance.

There are two genders: penis and vagina, everything else is mental illness.
There are two sexes, male and female would be more correct. Intersex people are the tiny minority exception, but still.

Gender is fictional.

Anyone who needs to be identified by these ridiculous pronouns is confused and should be embarrassed. Wanting to be referred to as these labels is one thing but demanding others use them... not gunna happen...

This. I can accept if people wanna be called he she it, but doing so or not will be my individual decision.

Jesus, is there some sort of shit in the air that is affecting North America specifically? America is going in one bumfuck direction, and Canada the other. The motto of 2017 is going to be "Fuck measure!!"
It happens in Europe too, PAL

canada should officially change its name to

cucknada

If ever you feel like elaborating on that, I'm interested. Seems that you have a personal take on things, and won't just spout off conservative cliches.

The most ridiculous aspect of all this is, most of us will never encounter one transgender in our entire lives in the workplace, that the population is so minuscule that it's going to be a non-issue for that reason alone despite this new bill. If you look at all the other protected groups - all of which have a larger number of people - and consider how many frivolous lawsuits there have been based on a perceived lack of freedom of speech (answer - none), then it would be hilarious if it were't so pathetic the uproar this is receiving.

On the other hand, you wrote of greater implications, and I'd like to read your take on that.

The other side of this is that Canada (and other western nations) are crossing lines like compelled speech supposedly in the name of a tiny group of people. The 'non binary' trans people are a tiny subsection, of a tiny subsection, most trans people want to be male or female. The government says you have to use certain words, that's a big deal, it's codifying falsehoods into the law, that's a big deal.

I don't believe that it was necessary to spend a lot of taxpayers' money on getting this bill passed, but my point was that nothing's going to change, and it's not a sign in any way that Canada is one step closer to authoritarianism. I see far worse signs in Canada that things are going in a dubious direction, but this Bill C-16 is actually - in the big picture - not a bad thing, reinforcing that diversity is valued and protected in Canada. You live in Finland - a relatively homogeneous country - and can't possibly appreciate how deep and far-reaching a value this is in Canada, how it's the single greatest thing about Canada, in my opinion, besides GSP of course.

And now it's my turn to lecture you about what's wrong with Finland...
So you are basically telling me to check my privilege. How postmodern of you.

lmao

CunCuckstan, nothing more.

Just a lesson to be learned form the mentally ill.

The other side of this is that Canada (and other western nations) are crossing lines like compelled speech supposedly in the name of a tiny group of people. The 'non binary' trans people are a tiny subsection, of a tiny subsection, most trans people want to be male or female. The government says you have to use certain words, that's a big deal, it's codifying falsehoods into the law, that's a big deal.
Where in Bill C-16 does it say that you have to use certain words? If someone objects to you using one word towards them that they deem inappropriate, and if you continue to use the word that they object to - and the only reason you would do that is because you're being a jerk - then that person can make a case for harassment. Employers who are jerks get away with it most of the time, but at least this is one tiny step towards them not getting away with it maybe a couple of extra times per 10,000 times they're being dicks. What am I not understanding? Please quote me the part of Bill C-16 that most concerns you.

Last edited:
It happens in Europe too, PAL
9f46b7fe0474ccef4e651d684ee432ad.jpg

The crazy anti science people are always at it

So you don't know what postmodernism is. How alt-right of you.
No, he wrote "how postMODEM of you", which I didn't get. I still use a modem, but what does that have to do with the topic.

Where in Bill C-16 does it say that you have to use certain words? If someone objects to you using one word towards them that they deem inappropriate, and if you continue to use the word that they object to - and the only reason you would do that is because you're being a jerk - then that person can make a case for harassment. Employers who are jerks get away with it most of the time, but at least this is one tiny step towards them not getting away with it maybe a couple of extra times per 10,000 times they're being dicks. What am I not understanding? Please quote me the part of Bill C-16 that most concerns you.

Could you imagine if the N word was part of hate speech laws in the US. Pathological black people would use the law as a sword rather than a shield. It would divide and regress an intricate relationship of dialogue and bond that had taken so long to mend from past generations who tirelessly worked and sacrificed to benefit those that stand today.

If you watched the senate hearing, Jordan and his Lawyer addressed what the implications could have considering the whole bill was poorly written confusing on the presupposition that this small fragment of people fall under as far as gender contextuality and fundamental biological concerns are met. The senators did not have much to challenge them on it, for they did not understand what the implication of the Bill may hold once the resolution magnifies itself.

Bill C-16 does not impinge on freedom of speech in any way in Canada. Things are no different than they were before in that regard. Literally the only change that Bill C-16 has made is the addition of “gender identity or expression” to the list of protected categories. That’s it. That’s literally all. What this means is, transgenders officially now have become a group of people who have the right to receive equal treatment and equal protection under the law. It is a nod from the government of Canada that transgenders deserve respect, and that their diversity has value. Recognizing, valuing, and protecting diversity is a core part of the Constitution of Canada, and I think it's a good thing. I see freedom of hateful expression in the US as something repugnant, and I'm proud to live in a country where you can be a hateful and racist as you like in the privacy of your own home, and as an anonymous asshole on the Internet, but if you try that shit in public, if you spew hatred towards someone based on race, religion, etcetera, the law is definitely not on your side. And Bill C-16 simply spells out that transgenders are a protected group. That's fucking it.

Not sure exactly what the laws are in the US, but in Canada you can't say any old thing if it's hateful. You are not protected by the Constitution if you start calling a Black person the N word, or a woman the C word. You are not protected if you started verbally harassing or discriminating against people based on race, religion, and now transgender. This is all Bill C-16 is - adding transgenders to the list of protected groups. Bill C-16 simply adds transgenders to the list of categories of people protected from discrimination. You can't discriminate against someone in Canada based on, for example, race religion, sex, and disability. Now transgender has been added to the list. That is literally all. I know I'm being repetitive, but some of you people on here need a couple of extra knocks on the head.

There will not be one case in Canada - guaranteed - of anyone bothering to hire a lawyer and go to the courts to challenge the use of pronouns.

Hitler-Time-Travelers.jpg

I wish this bill was called C-18 . It'd be more accurate.

I propose to refer at every canadian politicans as "it".

After listening to the arguments made by Peterson (which I'm already familiar with) and waking up today to see that the bill still passed, I'm absolutely ashamed to be a Canadian.

I'm so heartbroken by society in general today, we've lost our ability to govern ourselves and we deserve what we get. This is China's century.

Back