noticed something in Ngannou vs Reem finish.

Might have went for a feint.

left_hook_medium.gif

final_uppercut_medium.gif

makes me wonder what would have happened if there was anything on that left from reem, instead of a shitty arm punch.

don't get me wrong, i really love what happened.
Nah... Overeem has a talent to get into bad angles to get hit. Maybe some dude like JDS or even Hunto could trade with him without getting kod immediately. Francis at this point is more like a Carwin Rodgers kinda guy. He doesnt seem absolutely invincible. There are still some big question marks. And I also think that Stipe might get an edge due to his td threat. But he has to figure out many things during the fight. Things we dont know about Francis yet. Which makes it quite hard. To overeem kinda impossible. He always gets hit. Even roy nelson tagged him not too long ago.

Reem fought scared and looked terrible there isnt much more to say then that.

and its why im not sold on Ngannou and why im picking Stipe.

Reem always made a great hammer, but an awful nail. He is the definition of a bully fighter.

You've never seen someone stop doing something in the middle of doing it before?

He tried to adjust mid combo, got KTFO'd, nothing more to it.

Edit; his gameplan was shit, I think Ngannou got a bit into his head. Normally he's great at sticking to the gameplan. And he probably underestimated Ngannou's striking a bit. Coming into the fight with his credentials he probably didn't expected a guy with 4 years of training to be so good.

i think you're right, but i don't think he underestimated Ngannou's striking, i think he underestimated his strength. i think the gameplan was to wear him down in the clinch and work from there. but once Overeem got a hold of him and he felt how strong Francis was in the clinch, you could see in his face he was like, "holy shit" when Ngannou manhandled him to the fence.

i think that's when a tinge of panic set in and you got what we saw.

i'd have liked to see Overeem attempt to fight at kicking range and use his kicks to batter Ngannou from the outside. at least then we'd get to see how Ngannou reacts when he doesn't just wait for the guys to close the distance for him.

How hard is it to see he realized he wasn’t in range on the first punch??

EDIT: I didn’t even realize the pawing left from ngannou that connected as overeem was starting the first strike too. Cmon ts. Give it up.

Last edited:
And if he was just a little tighter on the left hook...

Reem fought strangely in that fight, he came out so recklessly against Ngannou, he should of fought from a distance and taken it slow. Ngannou's cardio is a question mark, he should of tried to test it.

Francis had dodged it anyway

He sees it coming and pulls back

Watch, as soon as he pulls back to throw the overhand right, he gets tagged by a quick left.

Francis dips away from the wind up, Reem see it and pulls the punch back instead of going through with it and leaving a massive opening.

Quick easy sub if you're gonna fix a fight, not letting fucking Francis Ngannou tee off on you.

Seriously, you can see that Francis set up Reem for that left upper cut. Pretty slick for a fight with little experience

Basically francis could have just stood there with his fist out, overeem would do a goofy duck and weave with no offense and find a way to knock himself out.

Reem fought strangely in that fight, he came out so recklessly against Ngannou, he should of fought from a distance and taken it slow. Ngannou's cardio is a question mark, he should of tried to test it.
If a guy is longer and faster than you, you can't take it slow.

Taking it slow works when you can stay outside of the other guy's range.

If you take it slow against someone longer and faster and try to stay outside their range, all you do is put them exactly where they want you to be: eating their straights while you can't do anything back but look at them.

I only know this because I'm short and I can't "take it slow" against anyone. I have to constantly be pressuring. It makes sparring suck because sparring is commonly done at 50% and you can't really pressure someone at 50%. Longer guys can throw quick straights at 50% power and just stop them at the end. To get inside, you have to use enough muscles to move your body quick, and moving your body means you're putting your power into punches, which you can't do in sparring too much.

If I try to 'take it slow', I just stare at them while they're annihilating me with jabs and crosses and all I can physically do is look at them.

Overeem had to pressure Ngannou and I think his plan was to pressure and grapple. Problem: Ngannou is so strong he gets standing kimuras on 260 lb guys.

Ngannou's length, speed, and strength makes him a nightmare matchup for a lot of the same reasons Jones is. Try to stay outside and play it tactically, you're at the end of the fastest guy in the division's 84" reach. Try to get inside, you're getting clinched by a 6'5" guy who also happens to be the strongest guy in the division.

Physically, he's like Jon Jones with Rumble's KO power.

Jones doesn't have Ngannou's power. However, he's also a 5 round fighter. It remains to be seen if Ngannou's power limits him to being a 2 round fighter.

Last edited:
francis went for a left that landed, then right. overeem ate the quick left, then stopped his own right hand. then overeem went to adjust.

then the KO.

this is the correct answer. it's hard to see from this angle, but that left ngannou taps him with inside overeem's right stops his momentum and that is what stopped overeem's right hand. he then switched to a left hand counter over ngannou's follow up right hand.

If a guy is longer and faster than you, you can't take it slow.

Taking it slow works when you can stay outside of the other guy's range.

If you take it slow against someone longer and faster and try to stay outside their range, all you do is put them exactly where they want you to be: eating their straights while you can't do anything back but look at them.

I only know this because I'm short and I can't "take it slow" against anyone. I have to constantly be pressuring. It makes sparring suck because sparring is commonly done at 50% and you can't really pressure someone at 50%. Longer guys can throw quick straights at 50% power and just stop them at the end. To get inside, you have to use enough muscles to move your body quick, and moving your body means you're putting your power into punches, which you can't do in sparring too much.

If I try to 'take it slow', I just stare at them while they're annihilating me with jabs and crosses and all I can physically do is look at them.

Overeem had to pressure Ngannou and I think his plan was to pressure and grapple. Problem: Ngannou is so strong he gets standing kimuras on 260 lb guys.

Ngannou's length, speed, and strength makes him a nightmare matchup for a lot of the same reasons Jones is. Try to stay outside and play it tactically, you're at the end of the fastest guy in the division's 84" reach. Try to get inside, you're getting clinched by a 6'5" guy who also happens to be the strongest guy in the division.

Physically, he's like Jon Jones with Rumble's KO power.

Jones doesn't have Ngannou's power. However, he's also a 5 round fighter. It remains to be seen if Ngannou's power limits him to being a 2 round fighter.

I agree.

I don't think Overeem shat himself, either.

I just think that his coaches determined that his patient counter strike style wouldn't work against a guy with longer arms and faster hands, as it meant that Ngannou's punches were going to be reaching their destination much quicker on the outside than Overeem's and testing his weak chin with regularity.

They determined he needed to get inside Ngannou's range or clinch/ take down. Unfortunately Ngannou's strength meant the latter wasn't an option.

If you refer to Overeem's only other fight where he fought someone with longer reach since joining Jackson's he administered a takedown and grounded and pounded his foe - Struve.

Standing and trading was Option B. Clinch and takedown was Option A, just like the Struve fight.

I think chancing it against Ngannou's raw technical ability on the outside would still have been a better bet, but easy to say in hindsight and what would I know as someone with no experience training in martial arts.

Overeem strong but before de fight francis find de skin of de devol.

Back