Not touching chest on bench press

Question, how do you floor press? Like I know you lay on the floor and push the bar up, but how do you get the bar in position?

Just set the pins in the rack to the appropriate height and press the bar from there.

So you’re essentially Spoto pressing, which from my experience is actually harder on the joints, at least If you pause in the bottom position

Having short hands is doing half reps.

If your shoulder blades aren’t retracted and you’re benching flat backed, your shoulders are incredibly unstable throughout the movement and will be prone to injury.

If your shoulder blades aren’t retracted and you’re benching flat backed, your shoulders are incredibly unstable throughout the movement and will be prone to injury.

My friend preaches supersetting rows with bench to help with this.

Yes but something has to be causing that injury, most likely a technical issue.

I don't think that's true.

You can get injuries from over-use, even if you do everything perfectly. You can develop some sort of imbalance through other activities that could lead to impingement and injury, even if your bench was perfect. The structure of your shoulder may be such that impingement just happens very easily. And it's known that some people just have inherently much weaker connective tissue, almost certainly for genetic reasons.

So that is at least three reasons why you could have totally flawless technique and still have lots of shoulder injuries.

It's comforting to think that all you need to protect yourself from injury is good technique... But it's just not true

Don't know where to start in this thread but it really depends on reason of why you are bench pressing in the first place. Strength or to build muscle etc.

Consistently keeping it one 1inch from your chest at the bottom of your ROM is not a problem IMO. Is definitely not a half rep so those comments are just stupid. You also guarantee constant tension on the muscle. You want to make sure your reps are controlled.

Floor Press I tend to do with dumbbells and is a great exercise to throw in from time to time but you really need someone to pass them too you. If you don't need this then I would say your not lifting enough ;-)

I would check form before changing rom. Also, I would listen to real lifting coaches before any "fitness/bodybuilder".

If it's not hurting you, that's a good thing.

I separated my right shoulder two different times. I would use Hammer Strength bench, dumbbells and pushups to work around the shoulder issue. Traditional ROM for barbell bench press wasn't going to cut it for me either.

Don't know where to start in this thread but it really depends on reason of why you are bench pressing in the first place. Strength or to build muscle etc.

Consistently keeping it one 1inch from your chest at the bottom of your ROM is not a problem IMO. Is definitely not a half rep so those comments are just stupid. You also guarantee constant tension on the muscle. You want to make sure your reps are controlled.

Floor Press I tend to do with dumbbells and is a great exercise to throw in from time to time but you really need someone to pass them too you. If you don't need this then I would say your not lifting enough ;-)
Is traditional benchpress with barbell one of the best overall strength builders?

You keep constant pressure on the bar even when you go all the way down to the chest aka a full rep. Releasing the tension at the bottom of the rep would make the lift much harder anyway.

@aus101 not sure I agree with this, but anyway as long as ur not bouncing the bar off the chest if its a touch and go under constant tension and stopping an inch short I don't think will make much overall difference.

@FinalConflict2005 in my opinion yes. that and squats, basically the big compounds. I tend to base my chest work around bench press, legs squats and straight leg deadlifts and then back bent over row. There is a reason the bench is part of NFL combine

I don't think that's true.

You can get injuries from over-use, even if you do everything perfectly. You can develop some sort of imbalance through other activities that could lead to impingement and injury, even if your bench was perfect. The structure of your shoulder may be such that impingement just happens very easily. And it's known that some people just have inherently much weaker connective tissue, almost certainly for genetic reasons.

So that is at least three reasons why you could have totally flawless technique and still have lots of shoulder injuries.

It's comforting to think that all you need to protect yourself from injury is good technique... But it's just not true
He mentioned none of those reasons so those are hypotheticals, and they have nothing to do with bench ROM.

Last edited:
. It's just a bit tougher when you bench without a spotter and you really want to get that last rep in to complete the perfect set.

Don't bench to failure, problem solved.

He mentioned none of those reasons so those are hypotheticals, and they have nothing to do with bench ROM.

It could be due to overuse. MMA training takes a toll on the body. Boxing, kick boxing, grappling, wrestling and weight lifting to top it all off is one heck of a regime throughout a 7 day week.

Usually when you acquire such injuries, it often helps when you reduce the range of motion, which is what I did by reducing my bench press ROM by 3 or so centimeters.

Once my shoulder fully heals, maybe a few more weeks, I'll probably go back to 'full rep' bench press by taking the proper precations and actions necessary to make sure I am not provoking impingement.

What a bunch on nonsense posted here.

Listen to your body. If your arms are long, you will never touch your chest, no matter how arched and tight you are. Listen to your body and not some of these bro builders, who spend hours watching youtube videos.

Back