Not sure if I was rocked or not.

josh345

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It was my second day sparring and the guy was a d bag and kicked me in the head pretty hard. My ear rang for a second then went away and I was fine after that and actually outscrambled him on one of his takedown attempts and got his back. I never felt light headed or cloudy or nothing so even though my ear rang for a second was there any chance I wasn't rocked? Do I have a bad chin?

Asking if you got rocked is like asking if you had an orgasm during sex.

If you meant to ask about brain damage instead, yes you did receive some minor brain damage and do every single time you get hit in the head hard. Nothing to do with having a chin or not.

"If you have to ask..."

Yes, you got rocked.

Getting kicked in the head rocks literally everyone, regardless of chin.

---

Getting rocked isn't always even unpleasant or painful. If you think you mighta then you definitely did.

If you think you didn't, then you still probably did.

If you KNOW you didn't, there's still a somewhat decent chance you did.

Chin is determined more by light punches than kicks. Kicks rock everyone.

You can't build up your chin, you only can lose pieces of it with every hit so be careful to guard it as best you can for every spar, every fight. Don't worry, you'll find out how good your chin is regardless of how excellent your defense is, along the way, sooner than later.

(edit) - you can't build up your given chin but you can cushion it somewhat with a strengthened neck [acts kinda like shock absorber/suspension system] and especially good technical defense.

Last edited:
"If you have to ask..."

Yes, you got rocked.

Getting kicked in the head rocks literally everyone, regardless of chin.

I completely disagree with this and would even state it's unequivocally false. You need to rattle your brain to be "rocked".

The other day I accidentally banged my infant son's head into the ceiling and because he hit it so that his spine braced his head, he didn't even care. I've eaten spinning hook kicks to the face that didn't shake my brain. On the other hand you can easily be rocked by a mild jab.

I completely disagree with this and would even state it's unequivocally false. You need to rattle your brain to be "rocked".

The other day I accidentally banged my infant son's head into the ceiling and because he hit it so that his spine braced his head, he didn't even care. I've eaten spinning hook kicks to the face that didn't shake my brain. On the other hand you can easily be rocked by a mild jab.

Are you talking about concussions? Or the slight loss of control in a fight?

I'm talking about the latter. I guess that's where the confusion is, slang fight definitions.

In my scenario, you can be rocked just by being exhausted and a tiny nudge the right way will make your nervous system/equilibrium falter for a moment. A little non-damaging stiff nudge will make your legs wobble, and you may not even realize it but people watching can.

I think we're operating on different terminological conditions here, since "rocked" isn't strictly definitive, merely suggests a common state of general major symptoms that would affect a fight.

Yes the problem is definitely in the non-specific term "rocked", but you can definitely be kicked in the face and not be wobbled. I know because I've been kicked in the face literally thousands of times. If your brain doesn't get bounced around it's unlikely you'll be wobbled.

Think of it like how many heavy punches did people like George Foreman throw that didn't wobble his opponents. On the other hand you see guys getting KOd by jabs because their brain bounces around.

Yeah, while it wont even always wobble you, a small solid kick usually has some immediate effect. It's hard to tell how much that is unless you either wobble or lose some immediate fight IQ, it's hard to determine. But if you felt solid and in control the whole time then yeah, it's possible you weren't affected much. But the person fighting has the least idea of it because his body tells him he's doing better than he may actually be cause hes in a fight.

Last edited:
Sometimes a batter can hit a foul ball and it soars completely out of the pro-league park, sometime it just falls on the ground and catcher picks it up.

Physics is an infinitely complex beast. I guess my point is one solid strike might not move your brain at all as was the case with me hitting my infant on the ceiling as I adjusted him in my arms, and one gentle check hook that looks like it had zero power on it will shake the brain to unconciousness.

To say that a solid strike will always wobble someone is wrong; nothing is that absolute and I'd argue it's not even that likely. Or KOs would end every fight in the 1st round.

Sometimes a batter can hit a foul ball and it soars completely out of the pro-league park, sometime it just falls on the ground and catcher picks it up.

Physics is an infinitely complex beast. I guess my point is one solid strike might not move your brain at all as was the case with me hitting my infant on the ceiling as I adjusted him in my arms, and one gentle check hook that looks like it had zero power on it will shake the brain to unconciousness.

To say that a solid strike will always wobble someone is wrong; nothing is that absolute and I'd argue it's not even that likely. Or KOs would end every fight in the 1st round.

No no, not a solid strike. A solid kick, because kicks by nature are much more solid (no flex compared to a hand) than punches, and very jarring even if somewhat light. It's a different beast altogether than a punch. Heavy bone against thin bone, with no real flex.

Everyone is rocked for a second or several after a solid (not toes, not grazing) kick to the head, even if it was medium-small, almost every time (other few examples would be the exception). This is just what I've noticed in humans and it's my opinion, you don't have to agree. From what I've seen, if you get punched right after that you go out/down no matter how small the punch, if you weren't already down. A kick to the skull at the very least removes your "forcefield" for a second or longer, imo and makes one vulnerable to almost any small strike in that space of time (one that will remove all of their remaining equilibrium).

The only hard part is once someone's landed a skull kick, they're not often ready to strike clean again in that window with a fist or another kick yet, but when they are, results are as expected.

Just my own observation

Last edited:
I would disagree with the 'kicks always rock' thing. I've been kicked in the head hard and while it can be painful it doesn't always rock me. I have a decent chin and have only been rocked a handful of times. Actually only once and never from a kick. The symptoms TS describes seems more like a direct effect from getting kicked in the ear. If you got rocked you'd know it. I was sparring once with a skinny guy who could really crack. I threw a lazy jab and he smashed me with a big right hook counter. It felt like my brain split in two and I blacked out on my feet for about 2 seconds. Immediate dizziness and sick feeling. It took about 30 seconds and luckily a minute break at the end of the round to feel semi normal and even then I was much more hesitant to engage.

I would disagree with the 'kicks always rock' thing. I've been kicked in the head hard and while it can be painful it doesn't always rock me. I have a decent chin and have only been rocked a handful of times. Actually only once and never from a kick. The symptoms TS describes seems more like a direct effect from getting kicked in the ear. If you got rocked you'd know it. I was sparring once with a skinny guy who could really crack. I threw a lazy jab and he smashed me with a big right hook counter. It felt like my brain split in two and I blacked out on my feet for about 2 seconds. Immediate dizziness and sick feeling. It took about 30 seconds and luckily a minute break at the end of the round to feel semi normal and even then I was much more hesitant to engage.
Thanks for the answer TS. Yeah I agree I think I would know if I got rocked or not haha. Was this time you got rocked a concussion? My other question is when you get rocked is that always a concussion?

Asking if you got rocked is like asking if you had an orgasm during sex.

If you meant to ask about brain damage instead, yes you did receive some minor brain damage and do every single time you get hit in the head hard. Nothing to do with having a chin or not.

Yes and no. If TS didn't get rocked then I don't think there was too much, if any, brain damage.

Also, believe it or not, unless it was extremely traumatic the brain heals, it just needs time to do.

There are very smart boxers out there who are professionals and do it for a living. If Brain damage was that much of a concern that wouldn't be possible.

To be fair though, those fighters are also the ones who fight conservatively and are good at not getting hit

Back