Not doing bjj anymore just MT

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by DarkNoise, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Nah from both talking to other mma fighters, and from last year trying to convert to mma, its from grappling, wrestling, and mma sparring the worst and most often injuries are.

I also hear really high level MMA fighters say that in interviews.

shincheckin likes this.
  2. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Are you still turning over to the dark side?

3. shincheckin

shincheckin Purple Belt

injuries definitely happen but it depends on how the people are rolling. Theres kids that are way to "soft" for boxing, the type that would cry if punched, that do BJJ all the time. If its controlled, slow pace, with a non-douche, you should be able to remain injury free.......although i guess the same could be said for MT as well. lol.

4. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I find freak accidents in grappling are more serious than MT. Tired/sloppy takedowns in practice at a bad angle and it could really blow knees out. Esp. if they drill like crosshit. More reps for time vs quality. For me MT injuries in training is with sweeps with clumsy partners; Instead to sweeping me out right, they end up full force hitting me on the side of the knee. I used to bring the knee pads and double up on my shinguards out when I had to be paired with certain people, that felt weird.

These days I don't get injured in BJJ too often, but thats because I have exp now and can intuitively know how to roll a certain way, but going back to when I was green and didn't that's when alot of injuries hpapen, and I'm not an outlier, BJJ is unintuitive to alot of people as well.

shincheckin likes this.
  5. MaxMMA

MaxMMA Green Belt

Posts like this keep me coming back to sherdog year after year! Good shit.

dudeguyman likes this.
  6. shincheckin

shincheckin Purple Belt

its funny because im personal friends with some BJJ black belts i could have learned BJJ for free if i was interested in it at the time and been a "whatever" belt by now, but I had no interest in it at the time. I have rolled a handful of times and appearently i learn quick. I relate it to clinching with your whole body on the ground, lol.

7. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Nope. I train mma now and then just to be able to do something on the ground. But i am not a person that lie to myself. A pro mma fight at this stage in my life is not realistic.

I aint no Bernard Hopkins. at 39.5 years old. With Bekhterev's disease, two kids, a normal job, its impressive enough just staying in shape and holding my muay thai sharp.

WarriorMonk7 likes this.
  8. WarriorMonk7

WarriorMonk7 White Belt

Very true.

MMA is still a young sport. I am positive MMA gyms in the future will be better with truly blending the art (i.e. BJJ with strikes, wrestling with dirty boxing, and striking with shooting and sprawling etc.).

MaxMMA likes this.