not comfortable throwing hooks in sparring

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm sparring pretty much everyday but everytime I'm not comfortable throwing hooks because I cant really cut the distance. I only feel comfortable throwing hooks and uppercuts is when they are stuck in the corner. any tips on how to improve this? I now pretty only use jab, crosses and kicks with the exception when they're in a corner. would really appreciate some tips. thanks.

Are you leading with a hook and getting countered? If so, throw it in a combination: 1,2,3, kick is simple and works well

jab, uppercut (same hand), and whatever you want afterward in the combo. Take an angle as you jab, and you get an uppercut in their blind spot.

Also, your hook could be telegraphed (and maybe even you might be throwing it slow as well) which is why they might be countering everything you try. Do you subconsciously drop your hand slightly, then hook? Or do you have a large step in before you hook?

Are you leading with a hook and getting countered? If so, throw it in a combination: 1,2,3, kick is simple and works well

jab, uppercut (same hand), and whatever you want afterward in the combo. Take an angle as you jab, and you get an uppercut in their blind spot.

Also, your hook could be telegraphed (and maybe even you might be throwing it slow as well) which is why they might be countering everything you try. Do you subconsciously drop your hand slightly, then hook? Or do you have a large step in before you hook?
its not the hook thats the problem its the creation of the distance and angle. my hooks are fine when he's stuck in a corner of a ring. do you know any excerisces I can do ? I do shadowbox with everything but it doesnt seem to help in sparring

its not the hook thats the problem its the creation of the distance and angle. my hooks are fine when he's stuck in a corner of a ring. do you know any excerisces I can do ? I do shadowbox with everything but it doesnt seem to help in sparring
Distance as in, you have trouble pursing or cutting off the ring?

I think your hook itself probably needs more work. If it was your money punch (fast, powerful, accurate, natural and devastating), you wouldn't feel hesitant to throw it.

Break it down and practice it slowly. It will take a while, you shouldn't have to muscle or force it. Until then, only throw it when you have the other guy close and in trouble (covering up), or just don't use it in sparring yet if you dont feel like it

Distance as in, you have trouble pursing or cutting off the ring?
well its that if I throw my hook I feel like I throw it too long. and that I feel like im way to open against counters.

well its that if I throw my hook I feel like I throw it too long. and that I feel like im way to open against counters.
I have a hard time using hooks as well unless I'm infighting or they are shelling up with a high guard. The distance from straights to hooks is just different and I feel like when I'm sparring I have a hard time throwing hooks light if they are long, without being completely open to counters. I feel like it's easier to throw long range hooks if you're throwing with power and speed, as they have a harder time countering you.

I've had some success recently with using a little hop step while throwing the close range hook. So 1-2, then a little hopstep while throwing the 3 to get closer.

The video dismas posted in this thread explains it: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/detailed-left-hook-instructional.3395093/

It always a little dangerous jumping in, even if it's slight, but if you do it subtle and sink into your right hip as you land (shown in the vid in the thread) it feels pretty safe and you are in a good position defensively. Try it out. After, you are in good range to use your hooks and uppercuts. It's just one tool to get there though. Otherwise try working more on your mid/long range hooks on the bag.

Maybe you should try throwing your hooks with the palm facing the floor instead, they have more range than palm facing you.

Back