North South Escape - top arm gets caught and armbarred

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This applies to no gi and gi although I mostly do no gi. Whichever side I roll to I am having trouble with my top arm getting trapped and I am armbarred before I even know what's going on. I try to make the timing unpredictable and roll quick and reach deep with that arm under my opponent's far arm but it's not working that well. If there anything specific I should look out for? thanks

does it happen as you try to roll on your side and follow the guy transitioning into north south from side control, or has he already established north south? while he is transistioning you could try catching his leg (the one closer to you) with your outside arm and then wrapping your both hands around it.

wish I could explain this better.

No he's already in NS. I think I know what you mean by grabbing the leg, that's actually what I generally go for when I get up to my side successfully, or you can replace half guard on it.

Keep your hands framed inside his armpits. There are very few offensive options left for your partner if you've done that.

Keep your hands framed inside his armpits. There are very few offensive options left for your partner if you've done that.
Thank you for the response. Now I'm not trying to be funny but if I'm going to roll to my side I can't keep my hands in his armpits. I suppose I'll work out a response in time anyway.

Personally, I don't have much success with turning to the side from under N/S. Try framing hard in their armpits and bumping them repeatedly until you can get enough space to insert your knees or feet, then spin back to your guard.

Personally, I don't have much success with turning to the side from under N/S. Try framing hard in their armpits and bumping them repeatedly until you can get enough space to insert your knees or feet, then spin back to your guard.

Oh that makes sense, thanks. I'm heavy so I have probably just been powering through with less than 100% technique. I'll give this a try.

I usually twist hard to slam my own elbow back to the mat, frame, then push just enough to get their weight off of me while I hip switch and get on my belly. Then I retreat to turtle and fight from there. I know you are suppose to be able to single leg from there but I've never been able to do it.

Back