NorCal vs SoCal - if you had to pick one to live in, which would it be?

Where would you rather live?

• Total voters
You can thank the little amount of money you have in your bank account for that.
Sorry, but that might be the worst one liner I've seen here. Surely you can do better. Don't be so hasty next time.

I could actually afford to live in SoCal. Wouldn't turn down either, though.

I like trees and mountains and rivers so I'm gonna pick North.

Go live in N Cal if you want to be hit constantly with floods and fires

Have it on good authority that 29 Palms if the only place in Cali worth living.

Just moved back to SoCal after living 5 years in the Bay Area. So I can speak pretty well on the topic.

It depends on what you're looking for, but I'll try to break down some of the key factors:

Job/Profession - NorCal pays better (I'd say 10-15% more than Socal), but the work life balance is usually worse. People work harder in the Bay Area, and they import really smart people. There are really smart people in SoCal, but everybody in the Bay Area is either really smart or works really hard.. Tech rules in Bay Area, LA has entertainment if that's what you're looking for.

Cost of Living - NorCal is ridiculously more expensive than LA. It's hard to find a 2bedroom condo in South Bay/Peninsula/SF for under a $1M. LA has really expensive areas (Santa Monica), but they also have a ton of more affordable places. The Commute in LA is as awful as you've heard of, but Bay Area is slowly catching up. Expect to pay ~$3000 for a 1br in SF, $2000-$2500 Peninsula, $2000 East Bay/San Jose. In LA, Santa Monica $2500+, rest of LA $1000-$2000

Activities - I'd call this close to a tie. Bay Area has a bit more hiking and outdoors stuff, LA has more fun stuff to do. Beaches in LA are much better, Tahoe is further but better than Big Bear, Bay Area has better hiking

Women - LA by KO, Bay Area can't even contend. They call women in SF 49'rs, 4's that act like 9's. SF is pretty balanced ratio wise, but outside SF it's a giant sausage fest. LA women are hotter and in general better shape (A good chunk of women do Yoga/Pilates/Spin in LA). On the surface LA girls are more materialistic, but girls in SF expect you to be on a career path or working for a hot new startup

Nightlife - LA wins by a pretty heavy margin. SF is no nightlife wasteland, but few places top LA

Food - LA wins by a slight margin. SF has fine dining in Napa/Yountville and some decent European food overall, but LA wins by it's massive selection of ethnic food. For Asian food for example, SF has decent Asian food, but LA has much more competition and heavily centralized ethnic areas (notable exception is Indian food, and Viet is a tie)

Getting Around - FYI you need a car in LA. The metro is getting better, but SF has Caltrain and Bart. I'd still recommend a car in SF, but you can get by without one espcially if you live in SF

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have it on good authority that 29 Palms if the only place in Cali worth living.

Whoever told you that should have their authority shoved up their ass and pulled out of their dickhole. 29 Palms is fucking unbearable in the summertime and there's nothing out in that insufferable wasteland. I've worked at the base, installed miles of 4" conduit. People are cool out there though.

Whoever told you that should have their authority shoved up their ass and pulled out of their dickhole. 29 Palms is fucking unbearable in the summertime and there's nothing out in that insufferable wasteland. I've worked at the base, installed miles of 4" conduit. People are cool out there though.

I heard there are cigarette butts as far as the eye can see. You can just walk up t o peoples porches and take their cigarette cuts out of there ash trays and take them with you

Its too damn foggy all the time in san francisco. Also at 16, I was hit on by a tranny black hooker right in front of your state capital. Get your shit together SF.

I heard there are cigarette butts as far as the eye can see. You can just walk up t o peoples porches and take their cigarette cuts out of there ash trays and take them with you

I didn't notice that but I'm not always the most observant either. Sounds fitting though, I mean what in the hell else is there to do besides drink and smoke out there. I guess you could be a "shade hunter". Last time I was there is was 123 degrees. No fun bro

Its too damn foggy all the time in san francisco. Also at 16, I was hit on by a tranny black hooker right in front of your state capital. Get your shit together SF.

Lucky you weren't in the Castro..

Also if you're gay then NorCal wins by a huge margin, actually it's not even close. I propose all the gay people from SoCal move to NorCal matter of fact. We will trade you for all your single hetero women that are a 6 or better

If you like tattoos, buzz cuts, and "massage parlors" its a great place.

Just moved back to SoCal after living 5 years in the Bay Area. So I can speak pretty well on the topic.

It depends on what you're looking for, but I'll try to break down some of the key factors:

Job/Profession - NorCal pays better (I'd say 10-15% more than Socal), but the work life balance is usually worse. People work harder in the Bay Area, and they import really smart people. There are really smart people in SoCal, but everybody in the Bay Area is either really smart or works really hard.. Tech rules in Bay Area, LA has entertainment if that's what you're looking for.

Cost of Living - NorCal is ridiculously more expensive than LA. It's hard to find a 2bedroom condo in South Bay/Peninsula/SF for under a $1M. LA has really expensive areas (Santa Monica), but they also have a ton of more affordable places. The Commute in LA is as awful as you've heard of, but Bay Area is slowly catching up. Expect to pay ~$3000 for a 1br in SF, $2000-$2500 Peninsula, $2000 East Bay/San Jose. In LA, Santa Monica $2500+, rest of LA $1000-$2000

Activities - I'd call this close to a tie. Bay Area has a bit more hiking and outdoors stuff, LA has more fun stuff to do. Beaches in LA are much better, Tahoe is further but better than Big Bear, Bay Area has better hiking

Women - LA by KO, Bay Area can't even contend. They call women in SF 49'rs, 4's that act like 9's. SF is pretty balanced ratio wise, but outside SF it's a giant sausage fest. LA women are hotter and in general better shape (A good chunk of women do Yoga/Pilates/Spin in LA). On the surface LA girls are more materialistic, but girls in SF expect you to be on a career path or working for a hot new startup

Nightlife - LA wins by a pretty heavy margin. SF is no nightlife wasteland, but few places top LA

Food - LA wins by a slight margin. SF has fine dining in Napa/Yountville and some decent European food overall, but LA wins by it's massive selection of ethnic food. For Asian food for example, SF has decent Asian food, but LA has much more competition and heavily centralized ethnic areas (notable exception is Indian food, and Viet is a tie)

Getting Around - FYI you need a car in LA. The metro is getting better, but SF has Caltrain and Bart. I'd still recommend a car in SF, but you can get by without one espcially if you live in SF

Let me know if you have any questions.

that was a pretty good breakdown. the only objection i have, is about the attractiveness of the women in s.f. i see lots of hotties all the time, especially in downtown. i'm always in that area, and there are plenty of beautiful women. this is a very transient city, so you get gorgeous women from all over the country. but compared to l.a., yeah it's no contest that l.a. women destroy the sf chicks.

the, "fog" thing is way overblown. even close to the coast where i live, it's not that bad.

NorCal, but I’m biased having been born, raised and made my life here.

I lived all up and down this state. LA was nice, but like someone else mentioned earlier I was with my gf at the time and couldn't take advantage of the LA broads. Traffic sucks beyond belief but isn't much worse than the bay. I raced motocrosd since I was younger and Socal was littered with mx tracks, since the industry is pretty much based there. I grew up in bay in a town called San Ramon about 35 minutes away from SF, its a wealthy area and the chicks were definetly more like Socal chicks than the chicks from SF and Berkeley areas. But I couldn' t take the traffic and bustle of the bay. Now I live in remote Humboldt County, the REAL Norcal, I live in a town of 350 people. I'm in a 2500 sq ft house is on a cliff over looking the Pacific ocean.....my rent is $1800. I couldnt even get a studio apartment for that in SF.

I lived all up and down this state. LA was nice, but like someone else mentioned earlier I was with my gf at the time and couldn't take advantage of the LA broads. Traffic sucks beyond belief but isn't much worse than the bay. I raced motocrosd since I was younger and Socal was littered with mx tracks, since the industry is pretty much based there. I grew up in bay in a town called San Ramon about 35 minutes away from SF, its a wealthy area and the chicks were definetly more like Socal chicks than the chicks from SF and Berkeley areas. But I couldn' t take the traffic and bustle of the bay. Now I live in remote Humboldt County, the REAL Norcal, I live in a town of 350 people. I'm in a 2500 sq ft house is on a cliff over looking the Pacific ocean.....my rent is $1800. I couldnt even get a studio apartment for that in SF.

yeah, san ramon is upper-middle class. back in high school, i had a friend who worked with a guy who lived in fucking blackhawk. i went to the dudes house once, and you had to go through three checkpoints just to get there lol. i remember getting to the front door, and the kid opened the door with a gigantic ziplock bag of weed haha. it must have been at least a pounds worth. the kid was living by himself, because his dad was a ceo of some company, and he was talking about how joe montana's house was like a block away, and e-40 wasn't far away either. the maids and people who worked i the house had their own house on the property.

Back