Non traditional hand wraps

DoctorTaco

Breadhead
@Gold
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of companies take a crack at “hand wraps” that aren’t wraps at all- wrist straps, fingerless gloves, etc. do any of you guys have any experience with these? Any of them worth a damn?

I’m looking into buying equipment for a corporate wellness program and not having to teach people to wrap their hands or take 5-10 minutes out of a 30 minute class to do it would be super convenient

Well, there are videos on youtube. My new gym requires people to learn it on their website/youtube and come prepared/wrapped before class. Our class starts immediately but usually with jump rope. So if you don't know, there's actually still time to do some hand wrapping. Instead of 5-10 mins of jump rope, we can do 5-10 mins of hand wrap. I see no problem in this.

But I've seen those slip on hand wraps which seems cool, like a fingerless glove but I don't see how that protects the wrist. I don't think anything can beat a traditional wrap for it's fitted more for your fist/hand.

Well, there are videos on youtube. My new gym requires people to learn it on their website/youtube and come prepared/wrapped before class. Our class starts immediately but usually with jump rope. So if you don't know, there's actually still time to do some hand wrapping. Instead of 5-10 mins of jump rope, we can do 5-10 mins of hand wrap. I see no problem in this.

But I've seen those slip on hand wraps which seems cool, like a fingerless glove but I don't see how that protects the wrist. I don't think anything can beat a traditional wrap for it's fitted more for your fist/hand.
imagine you’ve got to stuff a work out into a precise 30 minute window. You’ve got to warm up, stretch out, work out then cool down and stretch out again. Let’s say it’s partner mitt work with a cardio/calorie burning focus. Now imagine doing it with 20+ people who’ve never boxed a day in their life. New group every 4-6 weeks. Let’s say half of them haven’t done anything athletic since high school.
Spending time wrapping hands is time lost.

Although I like the idea of the first class If the 6 week course being orientation- how to use mitts, how to wrap hands, etc. if they all do it 3-4 times that first day they might get good enough to not need to be walked through it each time

I've heard the gel wrap gloves don't offer the same protection, esp. with the wrist. Personally I need more wrist support because that's the first to go for me. Knuckles and thumb have never been an issue. So if you're like me, it won't do well.

Good technique is a key factor when going with these equipment. But the risk is it needs much more reliance on it, if they mess up on the form trying to rush things and have a crooked wrist in the strike, its not going to be a fun night.

I've heard the gel wrap gloves don't offer the same protection, esp. with the wrist. Personally I need more wrist support because that's the first to go for me. Knuckles and thumb have never been an issue. So if you're like me, it won't do well.

Good technique is a key factor when going with these equipment. But the risk is it needs much more reliance on it, if they mess up on the form trying to rush things and have a crooked wrist in the strike, its not going to be a fun night.
youre not wrong. I dream of being able to pass out gloves and “wraps” to people as they come in but it might not be in the cards.

I use these type, for a pair of gloves that have large hand compartments, they work pretty well, never had a hand injury and they add a bit more cushioning for sparring.

Not really any good for gloves that are already pretty tight.

Back