Non-Combat sports with beneficial aspects.

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just something that popped into my head. What sports come to your mind and how do you think they would benefit fighters? For me personally, I think baseball and ballet would help. Baseball, because a pitcher would have a mean overhand, and ballet, because if you can translate that grace to the fight that just sounds incredibly useful.

PS. I don't know if this should really be in standup but i don't know where else it could go. Move it if you wanna but I think it kinda relates to training and I like the standup community.
<Fedor23>

Just something that popped into my head. What sports come to your mind and how do you think they would benefit fighters? For me personally, I think baseball and ballet would help. Baseball, because a pitcher would have a mean overhand, and ballet, because if you can translate that grace to the fight that just sounds incredibly useful.

PS. I don't know if this should really be in standup but i don't know where else it could go. Move it if you wanna but I think it kinda relates to training and I like the standup community.
<Fedor23>

Anderson Silva did ballet and Bruce lee was a salsa champ (Floyd has been on DwtS). Dancing i would say is #1 for striking or bjj (geo and Richie were b boys before 10th P). Fightimg relies heavy on rhythm manipulation and so does dance. Football as well i figure would help because its so explosive (joe would argue it is a combat sport) i know it is a combat sport but in sure no one does fencing. Fencing is amazing for distance and again rhythm manipulation.

PS. As part of the stand up community i think we're the most intelligent and good looking community here

Soccer. There is no sport that will work your legs, core and lungs that much for that long. It is full of LISS and sprints and it is fun (at least for me). The footwork especially when defending is very similar to boxing but with a wider stance. It requires technique work just like in fight sports. The slips when dribbling from side to side can help in slipping punches. Lastly there is heading which a bit feels like getting punched on the head :)

SRR was a highly skilled dancer, Ali did ballet, Mayweather was already mentioned

ARTEM LOBOV
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/artem-lobov-mma-and-the-art-of-ballroom-dancing

Another +1 for dance. I'm not at all surprised that Artem Lobov did ballroom dancing as a kid but he's not exactly the type of fighter I want to be like.... But anyway, Russians grow up doing dancing in school and also make for some of the most technical and feared fighters in the game. Probably purely coincidental?

I got involved in Latin ballroom to help with my boxing and I'm now competing in that at increasing levels. I can say with Latin in particular the way the hips move is VERY similar to the hip movements you need to slip punches, roll, put power into your shots, pretty much everything in boxing. They have entire systems built on opening up and strengthening your hips. Aside from that it gives you perfect posture, more deliberate control over your foot placement moving around the floor, and a better sense of moving your body to rhythm.

Also, there's some dude named Lomachenko who has credited his footwork and grace to dance lessons his father forced him into.

Banging helps you banging

Soccer. There is no sport that will work your legs, core and lungs that much for that long. It is full of LISS and sprints and it is fun (at least for me). The footwork especially when defending is very similar to boxing but with a wider stance. It requires technique work just like in fight sports. The slips when dribbling from side to side can help in slipping punches. Lastly there is heading which a bit feels like getting punched on the head :)
Soccer helps your flops as well. Get tapped and claim a junk shot

Another +1 for dance. I'm not at all surprised that Artem Lobov did ballroom dancing as a kid but he's not exactly the type of fighter I want to be like.... But anyway, Russians grow up doing dancing in school and also make for some of the most technical and feared fighters in the game. Probably purely coincidental?

I got involved in Latin ballroom to help with my boxing and I'm now competing in that at increasing levels. I can say with Latin in particular the way the hips move is VERY similar to the hip movements you need to slip punches, roll, put power into your shots, pretty much everything in boxing. They have entire systems built on opening up and strengthening your hips. Aside from that it gives you perfect posture, more deliberate control over your foot placement moving around the floor, and a better sense of moving your body to rhythm.

Also, there's some dude named Lomachenko who has credited his footwork and grace to dance lessons his father forced him into.

Super intelligent trainer. Iv started doing some of the hand eye drills iv seen Loma do (stacking jenga blocks, hat ball thing, finding numbers on randomised charts, juggling, etc). I heard his dad said he wouldn't allow him to box at all unless he danced first. after four years his dad let him box at thirteen. Its a good way to train your mind even on rest days

Ronda Rousey did private dance sessions with an esteemed coach. The effects are pretty evident id say....<mma4> 200w_d (8).gif

hand to eye coordination: table tennis. Imo nearly unmatched in this aspect.

core control and fluidity of movement: dancing (especially ballet)

ability to see through patterns and structure your entry into learning: chess

I started with ballet as a kid for quite some time and it made the transition into every martial arts I started much easier. You just know how to move and stay in control.

hand to eye coordination: table tennis. Imo nearly unmatched in this aspect.

core control and fluidity of movement: dancing (especially ballet)

ability to see through patterns and structure your entry into learning: chess

I started with ballet as a kid for quite some time and it made the transition into every martial arts I started much easier. You just know how to move and stay in control.
haha i forgot some people consider chess a sport.
<{MingNope}>

Dance, gymnastics and martial arts are sister sports. Usually the skills you find in one, you will find in the others. They all develop strong, practical movement patterns.

Dance, swimming, olympic lifting, football, rugby, a lot of them really.

qvDxK30.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15247-1343666246-16.gif

rangergif_zpsnrmnx7is.gif

giphy.gif

I cannot believe no has mentioned Ice Hockey before me.

What other "other" sport can prepare you better than this?

giphy.gif

Weightlifting might transfer, but mostly will not and with a lot of diminishing returns. Being able to do flips wont make you a good fighter either.

I agree that gymnastics will definitely help physically, but the motor skills are entirely different for especially punching.

Anything that strenghtens your body, improves your cognition and your hand-eye co-ordination will help, but it's more laying a base than anything. You can be the best in the world at dribbling a ball or whatever, but still have no affinity for throwing a punch.

Back