Non-Christians, or Non-Abrahamic Religious Folks, in the WR?

There is a TON about pre-Christian religion in Europe that we will never know. And even if a time capsule or something was found tomorrow, who wants to return to a bronze or stone age world view completely?

On the other hand, there are is a ton of information about cultural character that we can confidently assess from art, archaeology, mythology, etc.

We can confidently say that most pre-Christian Europeans saw no sharp dividing lines between the natural and supernatural worlds. There were not "people of a book," but people of spoken traditions. Through their heros and myths we can infer their virtues: loyalty, generosity, bravery, wisdom, etc.

Through mythology and archaeology, we can also deduce some philosophical orientations. For example, most pre-Christian Europeans viewed life through the lens of an "adventure quest." We can confidently say that they believed in an intricate and important relationship between the individual person and the forces of Fate, and they thought that the actions taken in this life would affect the quality of the individual's continued "quest" in the next lives.

Through art and mythology we can plainly see that most pre-Christian Europeans viewed the world as having metaphysical "depth" -- they believed in many co-temporal and co-spatial layers or "realms" of being.

Although there are some very dedicated pagan re-constructionists who know a freaky amount about historical pagan societies (think along the lines of how much some people know about steroids), most pagans, myself included, are comfortable with the term "neo-paganism." We see pagan attitudes, beliefs, and mythologies as a well to be drawn from, not a prescription to follow.

Do you see any correlation between Nietzschean beliefs and paganism with yourself and people you know, or do they generally have humanistic attitudes?

I was born protestant, became atheist, I like pagan values and mythology but I don't believe in it because I'm not dumb.
Born a Protestant? Not surprised, you never struck as someone who was ever down with dat Catholic liberation theology.

As for paganism, Shintoism is the best kind. Yes, this judgement was made solely on the basis of my watching of anime and not based on historical knowledge of any kind.

What about you @Denter? I vaguely remember you professing some eclectic mix of religious and spiritual influences.

I pray to the old gods
nedandtree.jpg

What about you @Denter? I vaguely remember you professing some eclectic mix of religious and spiritual influences.

Yeah I'm a special snowflake new ager, unfortunately, who doesn't believe in syncretism but practices many different disciplines anyway :(

I know a decent amount about various Sufi genealogies and masters but my primary practice is generally various Vajrayana tantras and some mantras and yoga from various other Dharmic traditions that agree with my metaphysical views.

Yeah I'm a special snowflake new ager, unfortunately, who doesn't believe in syncretism but practices many different disciplines anyway :(

I know a decent amount about various Sufi genealogies and masters but my primary practice is generally various Vajrayana tantras and some mantras and yoga from various other Dharmic traditions that agree with my metaphysical views.
And what would those be if you don't mind me asking?

I was born protestant, became atheist, I like pagan values and mythology but I don't believe in it because I'm not dumb.

You were born protestant?! Goddamn, I would have loved debating a toddler on theological issues.

I'm mostly a 3 with a bit of 5 sprinkled on top.

I was raised a Catholic and am very thankful for the stress on education, charity, and family values; but I never really accepted the theology or agreed with religious organizations. I guess I'd be classified as agnostic.

Was a hardcore atheist most of my adult life and studied German at University so I could read Nietzsche in the original.

Then at 38 I was gifted the opportunity to experience God as the only one thing that is not nothing.

Alive, lonely, and loving.

I may be psychotic, but I believe we are each an ego consciousness separate only as an illusion, perhaps experiment, perhaps self imprisoned. I am trying to act as if at the "end" of eternity I will be fully living the life of each other person I meet.

Spinoza had it too I think. And PKD. My "church" is syncretic but close to Thelema.

Last edited:
Exoteric religions like Roman Catholicism or Orthodox Judaism pander to the lowest common denominator of their day while still delivering to materialistic masses their bit of spirit.

It is the fault of the followers of Jesus that he's associated with witch burnings, child abuse, sexual repression. Jesus himself burned nobody, wasn't a pederast, drank wine and hung out with the bad girls.

Do you see any correlation between Nietzschean beliefs and paganism with yourself and people you know, or do they generally have humanistic attitudes?

I would say early Nietzsche was humanism and paganism balanced. Later ego blinded him.
I worship leprosy.

It is easier to eat yourself when the meat is putrid, nice and tender. Namaste nasty-num-num-num.

Shouldn't knowing all of these religions exist raise a huge red flag in any "believers" mind?

How you gonna say YOUR religion is the "right one" with a straight face?

I'm getting annoyed with these guys coming up with the "faith" answer. "uuuumm, well ya gotta have faith within the faith of your faith".

Last edited:
It seems that the main camps in here are:

1) Christian
2) Atheist
3) Not really Christian but I like Judeo-Christian values (whatever those are)
4) Not really Christian, but I think Jews are secretly running the world
5) My only religion is hating Islam

The religious issues are understandably dominated by the largest factions, but I am just wondering how many folks in the WR are religious but not one of the Abrahamic 3 (Christians, Muslims, Jews, Oh My).

Also, a reminder to folks that there have been a wide and wonderful variety of faith traditions in human history, most of which have nothing to do with the Middle East or the Bible/ Koran.

Personally, I am Pagan, and I agree that westerners should return to their traditional values (albeit minus the human sacrifice).

Give me that old time religion:
Symbols-Cernunnos.jpg

European Paganism?

Back