[No Source - Unconfirmed] Bret Hart On MMA vs. Wrestling

Bret Hart said "Any idiot can hurt someone. It takes real talent to have a match with someone for 30 minutes or so, to look like you're hurting each other, and at the end of it nobody gets anything worse than some bruises."
I hate when the two are compared with each other. A Pro wrestler has no right to have any comradery with a real fighter

Lmao, it might take some real talent to be a good pro wrestler but that doesn't change the fact that it is pretty fucking silly.

brock lesnar's a pussy.?
josh barnetts a pussy.?

sakuraba is a pussy.?

i don't think so...

and besides didn't bret get kicked that hard by goldberg, it caused him to have a stroke...

two different games...
im pretty sure that both hurt...
Lesnar- collegiate wrestling background

Barnett- fighter before he turned pro wrestler

Sakuraba- has a real background in catch wrestling.

The point I'm trying to make is they were Real combat athletes before they were pro wrestlers all the other wrestlers cannot be put into this category.

That's like saying any barista from Starbucks can be a pro fighter like Patrick Cummings

Bret finally came around to MMA. He used to bash it like most pro-wrestlers but once it came mainstream and gave a chance, they understand it now. They used to look at it as competition at first.

GOAT...

He has a point. Especially when you're wrestling on about 300 cards a year.

Context... Relax, fuckers.

It's a blurb. The statement is obviously not a stand alone comment. Was it an actual answer to a question ? Was it just a tiny part of a much longer answer ?

I mean because NOBODY would ever try to tailor an answer to further their agenda.

There's way too much missing for a reasonable adult to get excited, or insulted about.

And, I have NOT watched a professional wrestling match in over 25 yrs.

This.

Wrasslin is much, much more physically demanding and dangerous than MMA. Some of these MMA "athletes" only perform once or twice a year, LOL

he may as well be describing a choreographed dance routine -- it's way easier to go through a script than partake in an unknown.

Any idiot can learn to ride a bike too, right..Bret?
is this a dig at him having a stroke falling off his bike? low blow

Hitman's still pissy about the Montreal Screwjob.

I hate when the two are compared with each other. A Pro wrestler has no right to have any comradery with a real fighter

So what should guys like Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock do? Perhaps you'd advise them to develop split personalities so that the right of, say, Dan Severn's fighter personality wouldn't have his rights infringed upon by his pro wrestler personality?

Bret Hart is one of the guys who I totally respect, and I have to say he is the prime example why pro wrestling is evil from of entertainment. He was exposed to the business from when he was 1 year old. When he was trying to walk away, the business always found a way to lure him back. His family never was truly a happy place, from what it seems, there was always hate, jealousy. His brother died thanks to Vince being obsessed with stupid entrances, and Hitman's own health was destroyed. He was probably intelligent enough to be successful literally anywhere else, but he just couldn't walk away from it.

So while patrly what he said can be applied to MMA, but if you read any book written by Pro Wrestler - they all mention bullying, beating up newcomers on purpose, attempts to ruin personal lifes etc... No, Bret, I have to disagree with you...

So what should guys like Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock do? Perhaps you'd advise them to develop split personalities so that the right of, say, Dan Severn's fighter personality wouldn't have his rights infringed upon by his pro wrestler personality?
They were pro fighters before pro wrestlers though not the other way around

bret hart coudl have gone a long way in mma had he wanted to back in the day.

i dont mean some cm punk level bullshit either.

brett was a solid amateur wrestler but is a really solid catch or chain wrestler and a legit tough dude.

for those of you who dont know what catch wrestling is, it was a precursor to modern day mma, and featured prominently in pride, and in the career of barnett and others.

he would have to work on his striking, but bret could have been a competitor.

If it's really a comparison between the 2, I'd say this:

You have aspects in MMA training that are essentially choreography where the intent is to not hurt your sparring partner. One drill is to load up in high-paced sparring with the goal to stop your strike motion as close to your partner's face/body as possible. Another is to land in a way you won't get hurt. These translate to fights.

It's one reason why you seldomly see fighters landing on their neck, or for that other example you rarely see poor strike coordination from top strikers, but either deliberate defense or accurate offense.

Mic skills aside, Anderson Silva would be the most skilled fight choreographer in pro-wrestling history since landing those flying knees and front kicks to the chin against top ranked fighters looking to shut your lights out is a whole lot harder than pulling them. Or you could take Maia who often finishes fights without hurting his opponent in another form of combat.

bret hart coudl have gone a long way in mma had he wanted to back in the day.

i dont mean some cm punk level bullshit either.

brett was a solid amateur wrestler but is a really solid catch or chain wrestler and a legit tough dude.

for those of you who dont know what catch wrestling is, it was a precursor to modern day mma, and featured prominently in pride, and in the career of barnett and others.

he would have to work on his striking, but bret could have been a competitor.

Except back in the day, Bret wouldn't be making the money he made in the WWF/E.

Plus, MMA fighting was still basically an unknown thing in the public consciousness.

They were pro fighters before pro wrestlers though not the other way around
no.
ken shamrock was a pro wrestler on the east coast before he moved to japan to train with funaki and compete in pancrase- before he fought in the ufc and long before he joined wwf/e.

Bret Hart was never talking about mma vs pro wrestling in that quote. He never mentions mma. He's talking about the wrestlers who go out there and beat each other up, hitting people hard so they look good. He believes there is not art in that. He said something to the like of anybody's grandmother can hit you across the face but the art is in not doing that and making it look real. The longer quote is
"For as long as I can remember, my world was filled with liars and bullshitters, losers and pretenders, but I also saw the good side of pro wrestling. To me there is something bordering on beautiful about a brotherhood of big tough men who pretended to hurt one another for a living instead of actually doing it. Any idiot can hurt someone. Any idiot can hurt someone. It takes real talent to have a match with someone for 30 minutes or so, to look like you're hurting each other, and at the end of it nobody gets anything worse than some bruises.
Thank you. Stated this earlier but you elaborated nicely

Bret Hart said "Any idiot can hurt someone. It takes real talent to have a match with someone for 30 minutes or so, to look like you're hurting each other, and at the end of it nobody gets anything worse than some bruises."
53568666.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back