No small joint manipulation/Aikido in UFC?

These Aikido threads always end up as nonsensical arguments from the general public making shit up as they go along.

Saying Aikido doesn't work is like saying Jiu Jitsu and Kendo don't work. Both of which are battle tested and are some of the oldest military arts in existence. There may be techniques and approaches that are less useful than others but there's a time and place for anything under the sun. What's considered useful is completely circumstantial.

Roy Dean see's it worth and he actually went out there and decided to know wtf he's talking about.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/

traditional jui jitsu is all about small joint manipulation. Cant allow that in MMA or fingers / toes will break asap......

Headbutts were legal.
2Rvai.gif

Where were the Aikido champions?

personly I think standing headbutts should still be legal,they are a thing of beauty and would add another weapon in the clinch

personly I think standing headbutts should still be legal,they are a thing of beauty and would add another weapon in the clinch

Jesus, talk about effective. I remember Mark Kerr loved this technique, hed just take you down and head smash his opponent.
But he wasnt allowed to do that in the later Pride events when they changed the rules on him, and he pretty much lost his main weapon.

These Aikido threads always end up as nonsensical arguments from the general public making shit up as they go along.

Saying Aikido doesn't work is like saying Jiu Jitsu and Kendo don't work. Both of which are battle tested and are some of the oldest military arts in existence. There may be techniques and approaches that are less useful than others but there's a time and place for anything under the sun. What's considered useful is completely circumstantial.

Roy Dean see's it worth and he actually went out there and decided to know wtf he's talking about.

Excellent post, I agree 100 percent.

Nexus 6 explained it very well.
icon14.gif

If you are looking to train grappling and have the opportunity to do so, you won't go wrong with training in wrestling, judo, or bjj. Take all 3 if you can.

If you can only take one for self defense, BJJ is best for 1vs1; wrestling or Judo might go better with your boxing for self defense on the street where you want to remain standing and avoid going to the ground and get stomped on:

[YT]PqcWgQcBi-I&start=111[/YT]

You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. Don't want to see you waste your time training something that is not very useful.

I think we're very lucky as fans of martial arts, because nowadays, we have actual proofs of which martial arts are truly effective by looking at the top fighters at the highest level of full contact fighting, so we can make better decisions when choosing the right martial arts to train in and not waste our time with useless stuffs.

By the way, Seagal is a McDojo martial artist from the late 80s / early 90s. He's not a real fighter. He would get his ass kicked by a wrestler, a BJJ fighter, or a Judoka.

Right on, what trigged my Aikido interest was the fact that near my work place there is a reccenter that does drop ins for 7 dollars and the senseis I talked to seemed very mature,well spoken and knowledgable. Then I met friend of friend who is a Aikido/Chin Na practioner who after having a conversation, I decided to make this thread.

Personaly speaking, I have always been a big fan of Sambo and Catch Wrestling based on Gokor Chivichiyans Hayastan. But since Im not really involved in grappling then there is no point for me to talk like I know martial arts other than boxing and some Kyokushin.

Oh and to Caesar, its crazy that you know that old man! Dudes video was one of the first youtube videos that blew up on most viewed since it was early 2006 and ofcourse youtube was launched in december 2005!

Its insane how he is still teaching, I thought perhaps his embarressing videos made him wake up from his own delusions as well as the world wide embarressement made him choose a different profession but guess not...

Jesus, talk about effective. I remember Mark Kerr loved this technique, hed just take you down and head smash his opponent.
But he wasnt allowed to do that in the later Pride events when they changed the rules on him, and he pretty much lost his main weapon.

Grounded headbutts kills of the guard, it pretty much renders it useless.

Oh and to Caesar, its crazy that you know that old man! Dudes video was one of the first youtube videos that blew up on most viewed since it was early 2006 and ofcourse youtube was launched in december 2005!

Its insane how he is still teaching, I thought perhaps his embarressing videos made him wake up from his own delusions as well as the world wide embarressement made him choose a different profession but guess not...

Yeah hes still teaching lol, and youre right about that youtube video being an all time classic :icon_chee

Ive always been tempted to go up to him and ask him if he's seen it, but the poor man was humiliated enough on that day, no reason to rub more salt into his wounds lol.

As I said before, his students are mostly clueless housewives, retirees, and children, none of them probably watch youtube.

The kids however, once they see that video im sure theyll jump ship lol.

His son is teaching more these days, and hes not an idiot lol. He sometimes comes over to watch us train and even asks questions about some of our techniques.

Saying Aikido doesn't work is like saying Jiu Jitsu and Kendo don't work.

Aikido isn't the same as Jiu Jitsu. And what is Kendo? Throwing out names don't mean anything, unless you can show that it's effectiveness in a full contact competition.

Both of which are battle tested and are some of the oldest military arts in existence.

1. "battle tested" - LOL!

So it works really well on a "real battlefield" but wouldn't work in a 1v1 situation?

2. "oldest military arts" - LOL again!

People need to move beyond this idea where "oldest martial art" = the best. The best martial arts are the ones that can evolve the fastest, not how long it has been around (and has not been able to evolve and adapt).

If I were to tell you there is a martial art that was created by cavemen 400,000 years ago, would you say that this caveman martial art is the best in the world because it is the "oldest military arts"? LOL!

There may be techniques and approaches that are less useful than others but there's a time and place for anything under the sun. What's considered useful is completely circumstantial.

Whether or not certain techniques are useful must be proven in a real situation.

If certain techniques aren't effective in a real situation after many repeated attempts, then those techniques need to be refined, changed, and retested. If they still don't work, then those techniques needed to be tossed out.

Has Roy Dean used his techniques in a real, full contact fight against a real opponent instead of a cooperative training partner?

And what is Kendo?

Japanese sword fighting. Somewhat stylized and therefore a bit handicapped in free form (against European Longsword techniques for example ) - but still very effective and actually not that different then the techniques of the European masters.

Its generally a 'sporterized' version of 'real' sword fighting. U use a split bamboo stick (can still break your wrist) and lots of protective gear:

390px-Kendo_EM_2005_-_taiatari_2.jpg

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ur=487&page=1&start=0&ndsp=44&ved=0CGUQrQMwAg

Aikido isn't the same as Jiu Jitsu. And what is Kendo? Throwing out names don't mean anything, unless you can show that it's effectiveness in a full contact competition.

So it works really well on a "real battlefield" but wouldn't work in a 1v1 situation?

People need to move beyond this idea where "oldest martial art" = the best. The best martial arts are the ones that can evolve the fastest, not how long it has been around (and has not been able to evolve and adapt).

If I were to tell you there is a martial art that was created by cavemen 400,000 years ago, would you say that this caveman martial art is the best in the world because it is the "oldest military arts"? LOL!

Whether or not certain techniques are useful must be proven in a real situation.

If certain techniques aren't effective in a real situation after many repeated attempts, then those techniques need to be refined, changed, and retested. If they still don't work, then those techniques needed to be tossed out.

Has Roy Dean used his techniques in a real, full contact fight against a real opponent instead of a cooperative training partner?

I was explaining that Aikido is essentially a Jiu Jitsu/Kendo hybrid. It takes the footwork from Kendo which is Japanese sword fighting. Both of these arts are already well proven to work. Saying Aikido is completely ineffective is the same as claiming JJ and or BJJ are as well. The vast majority of the techniques are identical.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Yes, I have seen this sword, point fighting before; just didn't know it by name.

By the way, I wonder why the poster above mentioned sword, point fighting when we're talking about hand combat, lol! Must be a kid who thinks Ninjitsu is real. :redface:

Japanese sword fighting. Somewhat stylized and therefore a bit handicapped in free form (against European Longsword techniques for example ) - but still very effective and actually not that different then the techniques of the European masters.

Its generally a 'sporterized' version of 'real' sword fighting. U use a split bamboo stick (can still break your wrist) and lots of protective gear:

390px-Kendo_EM_2005_-_taiatari_2.jpg

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ur=487&page=1&start=0&ndsp=44&ved=0CGUQrQMwAg

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Yes, I have seen this sword, point fighting before; just didn't know it by name.

By the way, I wonder why the poster above mentioned sword, point fighting when we're talking about hand combat, lol! Must be a kid who thinks Ninjitsu is real. :redface:

Do you ever tire of being an ahole? The footwork they utilized is good enough to avoid sword swipes.

You make some valid points here, but Aikido has changed over time. It was effective during the samurai era, but it wasnt the Steven Seagal movie Aikido like we see today.
At that time the Aikido used was heavily linked to Aiki-jujutsu, whereas nowadays you see Kinokawa ryu Aikido, which emphasizes unconditional acceptance and blending of energy (ki).

Aiki-jujutsu's main focus was to mobilize the attacker, trap a limb, etc.., and break it; the techniques are devastating and are incredibly effective.

Last edited:
I was explaining that Aikido is essentially a Jiu Jitsu/Kendo hybrid. It takes the footwork from Kendo which is Japanese sword fighting. Both of these arts are already well proven to work.

Proven to work where? "On the battlefield" with swords?

I have not seen one single evidence of the effectiveness of Aikido in a real fight against a real opponent who isn't a training partner.

Saying Aikido is completely ineffective is the same as claiming JJ and or BJJ are as well. The vast majority of the techniques are identical.

No it's not the same.

BJJ have proven itself over and over again in full contact competitions at the highest level.

Aikido has not. Aikido students don't even fight each other for real in training.

You make some valid points here, but Aikido has changed over time. It was effective during the samurai era, but it wasnt the Steven Seagal movie Aikido like we see today.
At that time the Aikido used was heavily linked to Aiki-jujutsu, whereas nowadays you see Kinokawa ryu Aikido, which emphasizes unconditional acceptance and blending of energy (ki).

He was trying to counter me without comprehending what I was saying in the first place. While the approach may be different, you are still learning JJ techniques. Judo and BJJ are all the proof one needs to know how well they work.

Back