No small joint manipulation/Aikido in UFC?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Alexandergreat3

Alexandergreat3 In Fedor We Trust, amen™

By the way, I just found this gem: Judo vs. Aikido

Judo and Aikido both have their origins from Jujutsu, but as mentioned before, Judo's techniques are constantly tested and evolved through full contact sparring and competitions, while Aikido's techniques are untested theories - there weren't any kind of realistic sparring or competitions at all.

So, it's pretty clear to me why Judo is effective in a real situation and is effective in MMA, while Aikido is not.

2. FinBJJ

FinBJJ Black Belt

Aikido, the Dane Cook of martial arts.

3. Deep Triangle

Deep Triangle Blue Belt

Fucking this.

4. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

http://www.abcboxing.com/committee_unified_mma_rules.html

/thread

Also, some interesting explanations:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. THECYNDlCATE

THECYNDlCATE Inspector/Judge MMA/KB/Boxing

Come on man,.. this guy was obviously a joke and wasn't even positioning correctly.

6. gouwsui

gouwsui White Belt

JoesonDo is much better than Aikido,
    at least Joesondo has been used in Octagon and aikido doesn't.
    aikido effectiveness tested only in Movie(Seagull) or if you fight "remotely controlled zombie(aikido pupils in dojo)" who charge forward with a single 'predictable' punch or kick, lol...

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. locust rising

locust rising The mirror collapses but the image does not

Be funny if you saw a guy "throw" his opponent like in the old demonstration videos

8. beastlightnbs

beastlightnbs Brown Belt

Can you provide a video of an aikido guy, who's not a joke, and positioning himself correctly in, at the very least, a sparring situation? Cause we all know BJJ, wrestling, boxing, judo, Muay Thai, karate (to a certain extent) works and numerous fights and videos are out there proving it. All of this ridiculous banter back and forth can be put to rest with a bit of evidence. So far all we have is "Under Siege".

rjmbrd and Rvd Slmr like this.
  9. THECYNDlCATE

THECYNDlCATE Inspector/Judge MMA/KB/Boxing

I'm not playing your game, where you lay down "outs" in you post, then demand something, then have an out for anything that might be posted. It just shows your fear of being proven wrong.

There are plenty of videos of aikido on youtube, being used in real life situations.

The funny thing is how you guys attack aikido, but leave karate alone. Anyone that does this, has obviously studied nothing.

10. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Gall vs Northcutt finish. Taichi.

11. beastlightnbs

beastlightnbs Brown Belt

I don't have "outs", I just don't waste my time with choreographed nonsense. All I'm asking for is some evidence that we can critique. I've never seen any. Since you seem to know of all of these instances in videos, please post one or more so we know what you're talking about. Or are you fearful of being proven wrong?

I've been training BJJ for a few years now, I assume you've been studying aikido for at least as long. If you want to see what happens in real life we can set it up. And I use the word "training" because we spar instead of just going through instances of what we think we would do in a real situation. Or you can go to YouTube and watch aikido vs bjj and you'll probably get an idea.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Sid Arthur

Sid Arthur Purple Belt

No heel kicks to the kidney? I had no idea!

Also Rhonda was KOd by a kick to the neck. Just saying. The greatest kick to the neck EVAR!

13. ClosetVitorFan

ClosetVitorFan Silver Belt

Small joints are fingers and toes. You really want to see someone snap someone's finger like a twig?

14. 90 50

90 50 Red Belt

Small joint manipulation is pointless in a fight with a real fighter. Doesn't matter anyway.

If you are trying to do that, you can't lock down the rest of the fighter like with large part submission. They are free to fight back.

Small joint manipulation only works on random people that don't know what to do and have low pain tolerance and aggression anyway.

15. 20falarVerdades

20falarVerdades Red Belt

Aikido is a scam, just like pyramid schemes, Conor's F.A.S.T, Initial Coin Offerings and Crossfit

16. kahymo

kahymo Blue Belt

with the mma gloves, it is a lot harder to pull out some of the main Aikido Techniques
    the main reason, is that you need a strong grip and being able to keep holding the wrist/hand during the technique execution
    and with mma gloves, the hold will be easier to break, especially for a trained fighter

DC tried with Jones on their first fight, and he didn't get anywhere

note: i practiced Aikido

17. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

Lol...ok. I've studied Muay Thai for the last 7 years. I've seen karate being used in action but never aikido. Maybe I'm watching the wrong MMA or World Star fights.

I don't even think I saw Aikido used in Pride but there's this:

18. welcometohavoc

welcometohavoc Yellow Card

Meh that reasoning doesn't fly. You can literally have your leg inverted and potentially never walk again with a kneebar or have your ACL/MCL shredded in an Achilles lock. The threat of serious injury is greater with submission fighting than it would be with small joint manipulation.

A better reason would be MMA doesn't want fights being determined by bending people's fingers backwards. It's cheap

19. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

It was legal in the early UFC's.
    Nobody pulled it off.
    I think it would only be possible if the person applying the small joint lock had a strong grappling base (wrestling, bjj, sambo) and was already controlling the body from a dominant position (side control, full mount, ankle/heelhook position).
    For example, imagine Palhares grabbing a guy's big toe instead of going for the heel hook.

Nobody who specializes in Aikido or Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujitsu would be able to pull it off in a fight against an aggressive opponent, even of lesser skill.

20. fastone

fastone Purple Belt

This thread again...