No small joint manipulation/Aikido in UFC?

Another thing about aikido, is that I have never seen any emphasis at all on physical conditioning, something that is extremely important in any martial art.

I can promise you there is. I had more in Aikido than I have had in BJJ.

We would have to run around the entire UCF gym compound, for what seemed like forever. Then we would have to do forward rolls, all the way around, then backwards, then pushups, and even sometimes suicide runs.

I would guess it would depends on who is teaching.

Damn this thread is still alive!

Anyway, this is the only Aikido mma fight I found:

LOL at the "MMA fighter's striking".

That "MMA fighter" doesn't seem to be trying to attack the Aikido guy at all, and I think it has to do with the Aikido guy having only one arm.

Another funny thing is, the Aikido guy, with all his years of training Aikido, basically abandoned all his Aikido techniques and started chopping away with his hands, and when they clinched, he basically wrestled. :icon_chee

Holy shit, I didn't realised he had only one arm ! That explains a lot...

That "MMA fighter" doesn't seem to be trying to attack the Aikido guy at all, and I think it has to do with the Aikido guy having only one arm.

Another funny thing is, the Aikido guy, with all his years of training Aikido, basically abandoned all his Aikido techniques and started chopping away with his hands, and when they clinched, he basically wrestled. :icon_chee

I guess nerves effect all human beings from all walks of life regardless of "Spiritual" practice. Again thanks for the videos and my conclusion from Aikido is, better to have some Aikido than zero grappling I guess.

Only saying this because Aikido has breakfalls like Judo and breakfalling is underrated and thats one thing Aikido does right it seems. Though again Im not a grappler so I don't wanna talk like I know Aikido.

All and all, very good response in this thread!

I guess nerves effect all human beings from all walks of life regardless of "Spiritual" practice.

Do you mean regarding the fact that the Aikido guy abandoned his Aikido techniques in a real fight and wrestled his opponent?

It seems to me that wrestling and striking are naturally parts of a real fight and are unavoidable, just as fighting on the ground is.

Again thanks for the videos and my conclusion from Aikido is, better to have some Aikido than zero grappling I guess.

I guess that depends on the mindset of person practicing it. For example, if someone knows fully well that Aikido isn't very effective most of the time but is taking it because "it's better than nothing," then there is no harm in training it.

However, if someone is not realistic and believes they can really catch an attacker's strikes, redirect his momentum, and make him go airborne, then I believe taking Aikido will do more harm than good, because that person can get his/her ego inflated, giving him/her a false sense of confidence that they can defend against a real attacker - only to get his/her ass thoroughly whipped (like the Aikido master in that Youtube video :icon_twis).

I used to think the same think about Parkour.
Why can't dude's do flying shit off the cage like Vega from Street Fighter?
...this was of course before I knew who Anthony Pettis was.

It's 2014 and there are still people out there who haven't realized what a TOTAL joke Aikido is? Really?

It's 2014 and there are still people out there who haven't realized what a TOTAL joke Aikido is? Really?

It is pretty sad really. People still don't know the diff between legit martial arts and bullshit imitation. Wake the fuck up people.

Let's go back to the early days. UFC had no rules at all. How many guys with akido skills were twisting joints and tapping people out???

After reading the first three pages I would say 80% of you have never trained a day in your life.

Aikido is Bullshido

Aikido isn't a legit martial art, end of fucking story. That bullshit does not work.

Probably more legit than sitting on your ass and eating potato chips all day, which is most likely what majority of sjerdoggers do.

Damn this thread is still alive!

Anyway, this is the only Aikido mma fight I found:

Where's the "fancy move of aikido" that sensei segal use in demo/movies?? :rolleyes:
I Lol'd Hard at the "no punching" rules, Slapping can't KO ur opponent Btw...

Last edited:
Well Im convinced, there is no reason to argue since your points are dead on flawless.

Thats the thing though, the ufc was created to see which martial art works and which is the most effective. Now time has changed and rules have brought favoritism to different styles. My question is whether Aikido works and that modern mma has gone from self-defense/realism to sport fighting.

the gracies fought against aikido masters in the past, they steamrolled them of course. And yes mma is nowadays a sport, we already know what works and what doesn't. Martial arts that train full contact work because they throw away what doesn't work, theoretical martial arts don't. Of course "dirty" stuff like Krav Maga also works, but if you actually train krav maga you will realize it's just part of it, they train a lot of boxing, kicking, throws etc, just like mma.
Also, you can't always use dirty tricks in a real fight. If you get into a fight with somebody in a bar you can't go on and gouge their eyes out and break their spine or you will get arrested for life.
Or if you're a kid and need to defend yourself at school it's not the best idea to bite the balls off your bully and stick a pencil on his neck.
That may be good if you're fight palestinians in gaza strip, but for a more usual self defense you need a combination of mma, good fitness and knowing dirty tricks but only as last resort. So you can train krav maga or judo or bjj or boxing etc all of that will help
But since mma is a sport and we don't want fighters to die we remove the techniques that cause too much permanent damage, which doesn't mean some Krav maga dude would beat JDS or cain, any pro fighter could learn the dirty tricks in a few days and it would add perfectly to their already deadly arsenal, since you most of the time need to combine dirty tricks like eye gouging with traditional stuff like punching, kicking and avoiding takedowns.

It is pretty sad really. People still don't know the diff between legit martial arts and bullshit imitation. Wake the fuck up people.

There are still people who don't know shit about the actual legit arts either ("Judo doesn't hurt because those guys are trained to fall....")

Back