No small joint manipulation/Aikido in UFC?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So I just got done training with a gentlemen who is well versed in Aikido as well as Chin Na and we started talking about mma and why mma doesn't accept aikido.

So he told me that Aikido addresses small joint locking as well as restraining opponents in closed space area like in a hallway or a narrow space that doesn't allow the practioner to get in to a fighting stance since according to him, the martial arts that encompesses mma are only applicable in open spaces.

Now I am wondering if he has a point and that Aikido is infact a good martial arts in general?

Also, I was looking at the ufc page and there are some funny rules and they wrote "thereferee" which I assume it should be "the referee" fyi letting you know its not my quoting...

http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

A.The following acts constitute fouls in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts and may result in penalties, at the discretion of thereferee, if committed:
i.Butting with the head
ii.Eye gouging of any kind
iii.Biting
iv.Spitting at an opponent
v.Hair pulling
vi.Fish hooking
vii.Groin attacks of any kind
viii.Putting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponent
ix.Small joint manipulation
x.Striking downward using the point of the elbow
xi.Striking to the spine or the back of the head
xii.Kicking to the kidney with a heel
xiii.Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
xiv.Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
xv.Grabbing the clavicle
xvi.Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
xvii.Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
xviii.Stomping a grounded opponent
xix.Holding the fence
xx.Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent
xxi.Using abusive language in fenced ring/fighting area
xxii.Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
xxiii.Attacking an opponent on or during the break
xxiv.Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
xxv.Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the round
xxvi.Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury
xxvii.Throwing opponent out of ring/fighting area
xxviii.Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee
xxix.Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck
xxx.Interference by the corner
xxxi.Applying any foreign substance to the hair or body to gain an advantage

Dude, you want people to be permanently disabled and fans only to see their fighters fight 1 time, and then retire????

That's why they made rules for MMA. It is a competition, not a fight to the death.

By Small Joint manipulation, they don't mean wrist locks or that bullshit, they mean you can't snap someone's finger or toe in half...

By Small Joint manipulation, they don't mean wrist locks or that bullshit, they mean you can't snap someone's finger or toe in half...

IMO the best thing you can do for self defense is just workout and specialize in krav maga.

Dude, you want people to be permanently disabled and fans only to see their fighters fight 1 time, and then retire????

That's why they made rules for MMA. It is a competition, not a fight to the death.

Im not saying they should, all Im asking is, if he has a point about Aikido being an effective martial arts despite the fact that its not applicable in an mma setting.

Isn't wrists considered a small joint? Also, when it gets sweaty and slippery, woulden't it take immense amount of skills to perform a toe and finger lock? I mean, footstomps are legal if I recall correctly...

[YT]bxb0PCBV0vk[/YT]

Your kidding TS right?

Are YOU Kidding!?????

Bro, you do realize people can mislable on youtube right??? I mean ffs, this is NOT Aikido! This is some dude who woke up thinking he is master roshi and just ran with his new identity until he blieved his own BS.

How dumb would you have to be to try and wrist lock somebody who's hands and wrists are already taped up to prevent such movement.

Wrist locks are legal in MMA, they're just hard to pull off under adrenal stress against a resisting opponent and even harder to finish when both fighters have their hands wrapped to protect their wrists.

Could you break someone's fingers? Sure. Would they probably break yours back? Yeah. Can someone pummel you unconscious with a broken finger? Definitely.
The fine joint manipulation rules aren't because Aikido/Chin Na/Dim Mak/AmeriDoTe are too deadly for MMA, they're to avoid needless petty injuries that don't end fights but guarantee that both fighters will be out recovering for several months instead of training for their next fight.

Aikido isn't a legit martial art, end of fucking story. That bullshit does not work.

but to be fair taping your wrists makes wrist locks ineffective, so MMA basically eliminates those as well despite the fact they are legal.

alot of Aikido is very good but the majority is very un tested in actual combat.A finger lock that breaks a finger is gonna hurt like crazy but it is not gonna finish a real fight with a real fighter.Plenty of ufc guys have faught on with broken arms so a finger aint sh*t.Old martial arts are usually crap because real soldiers spent 80% weapons training to 20%hand to hand or more

Aikido isn't a legit martial art, end of fucking story. That bullshit does not work.

Well Im convinced, there is no reason to argue since your points are dead on flawless.

but to be fair taping your wrists makes wrist locks ineffective, so MMA basically eliminates those as well despite the fact they are legal.

Thats the thing though, the ufc was created to see which martial art works and which is the most effective. Now time has changed and rules have brought favoritism to different styles. My question is whether Aikido works and that modern mma has gone from self-defense/realism to sport fighting.

I love that a fighter could get dq'd for abusive language can you imagine if Nick Diaz got dq in one of his fights for that

aikido, lol
while the guy is trying to bend your fingers you are choking his ass out

Like Bas said "try to bite me while I triangle you and lets see how it goes"

Imagine Brawk trying to rip your pinkie toe off
or grabbing your ear full bear, taking it home with him
I reckon he could do it

There have been a few wristlocks in mma. Usually combined with an armbar.

Royce on Akebono, and I think it ws GSP vs Hughes.

IF a shoulder or an elbow are locked and isolated, but the guy doesn't tap, you can "gooseneck" the wrist. Not sure if it is legal, but I've seen it used to finish a submission that stalled.

Well Im convinced, there is no reason to argue since your points are dead on flawless.

Thats the thing though, the ufc was created to see which martial art works and which is the most effective. Now time has changed and rules have brought favoritism to different styles. My question is whether Aikido works and that modern mma has gone from self-defense/realism to sport fighting.

Dude wake up. You ask for opinions but you refuse to listen.

It doesn't work. Not ONE aspect of it is used in MMA. Nobody is using Akido wrist locks and breaks because they aren't effective.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. It's time someone told you.

Aikido is the unrefined, un-evolved version of Judo. It doesn't work in a real fight against trained opponents:

[YT]PLP_DInpPHE[/YT]

So I just got done training with a gentlemen who is well versed in Aikido as well as Chin Na and we started talking about mma and why mma doesn't accept aikido.

So he told me that Aikido addresses small joint locking as well as restraining opponents in closed space area like in a hallway or a narrow space that doesn't allow the practioner to get in to a fighting stance since according to him, the martial arts that encompesses mma are only applicable in open spaces.

Now I am wondering if he has a point and that Aikido is infact a good martial arts in general?

Also, I was looking at the ufc page and there are some funny rules and they wrote "thereferee" which I assume it should be "the referee" fyi letting you know its not my quoting...

http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back