NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE knows if Anderson or Weidman is the better fighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blah, blah, blah. This is just more bullshit excuse making

Absolutely. The fanboys act like Silva clowned an opponent for the first time when he fought Weidman. He's been doing that for a very long time and it's paid off in some fights. It didn't with Weidman and now that is an "unusual circumstance". What a load of bullshit.

I have been watching MMA since the late 90s. I have watched everyone of Anderson's fights (including in Pride/Cage Rage) and every one of Weidman's fights.

I write this in disgust at the many uninformed comments on here stating that Weidman is clearly better than Anderson or that he will definitely win if they fight again, is the better fighter blah blah blah.

I read another thread where someone wrote similar to what I am writing and was roundly flamed,told by someone to "curl up and die". For real. Its like the majority of people on here have been following MMA for one or two years and are 15 years old with no understanding of MMA, Anderson Silva and his fights and what it takes to establish that one fighter is better than another

Both Weidman's wins ARE legitimate. But both were in highly unusual circumstances and do not clearly indicate that he is the better fighter and I will set out why below. NOTE, I am NOT saying they clearly indicate Anderson is the better fighter either. Simply, it was never PROVED EITHER WAY. What was proved is that Weidman is the most dangerous opponent Anderson ever fought. But THAT IS IT. This is why:

1) Anyone who watches/understands Anderson will know that he has lost first rounds on multiple occasions and come back to win dominantly. Against Hendo. Against Chael (2nd fight). One dominant round against Anderson does not = a win OR MEAN THAT SOMEONE IS A BETTER FIGHTER.

First Anderson/Weidman Fight

2) Round 1: In my opinion Weidman won it 10 - 9. However by the end, Anderson was on his feet and starting to take over.

3) Round 2: By round 2 Anderson was taking control in typical Anderson fashion. Stuffing Chris's takedowns and making it a striking match, keeping it in his world. The same pattern as above re bad Anderson first rounds seemed to be repeating itself. However, Anderson clowned around too much and got caught. But it was a fight he seemed to be taking control of up until he lost control. And I and all the friends I was watching with fully expected another Anderson demolition was about to occur.

4) I came out of this fight thinking Anderson was the better fighter who if he had just focused and counter-struck instead of playing games would likely have won. Albeit we will never know.

Second Anderson/Weidman Fight

5) Round 1: dominant impressive round by Weidman. I would score it a 10 - 8 1/2 if there were half points. It wasn't a 10-8 though. Hurt Anderson more then anyone else. But again, as we have seen before, winning one round dominantly against Anderson does not make one a better fighter nor mean they will win the fight.

6) Round 2: Anderson was starting to get his striking going, albeit he hadn't hurt Chris yet and then Chris checked and Anderson broke his leg. Again, legitimate TKO win for Chris due to injury. However, it does not indicate that Chris is the better fighter. The fight ended prematurely due to injury.

In conclusion Chris won twice, the first time when Anderson looked like the better fighter but clowned around. Now Chris may ultimately have proved that wrong, but Anderson robbed him of the opportunity. And second time, Chris was certainly winning the fight, but Anderson's broken leg robbed him of the opportunity to prove he was the better fighter. And no one knows if in the absence of that broken leg, Chris would beaten Anderson anyway, or it would have been another Anderson come-from-behind KO. No one knows.

Its incredibly frustrating because I wanted Anderson to win. But even more, I wanted to know who the better fighter was on the merits.

And no one knows based on two highly unusual fights.

So uneducated frustrate trolls flame away, but the above is correct. Or maybe, surprise me, give it some logical thought and go and re-watch (or watch for the first time) Anderson's fights, including the first fight with Chris. Once again, I am NOT saying that we know Anderson is the better fighter.

Agreed

Agreed. The sample size is too minimal to really determine who is the best. I agree Weidman has been more dominant in both fights so far but again, the sample size is not good enough.

Great to see there are at least a few normal intelligent people here.

As opposed to the Chris won two fights so is better variety, like they were the same wins as any two other wins.

I'm honestly surprised Weidman isn't getting more shit about this. I mean imagine winning two fights, where one was catching the guy dancing around with his hands down, mocking you, and the other was a leg injury. I agree that he really hasn't truly beaten Anderson. But Anderson had his chance in the first fight.

As opposed to the Chris won two fights so is better variety, like they were the same wins as any two other wins.

Yeah there are a few intelligent people posting here. Unfortunately for you, you're not one of them.

I've been watching MMA since the original Greek pankration tournaments.

It's clear that AS had Weidman right where he wanted him. Didn't you see how disfigured Weidman looked after AS glanced him with a few hammer fists from the bottom? Fight should have been stopped right there.

Did you read my post at all. I said Chris beat him twice. Did I deny that.

Again, given the highly unusual circumstances, it doesn't prove who the better fighter is.

I agree with you.

I also think Anderson vs Forrest doesn't prove who the better fighter is, because Forrest doesn't usually fight that badly. If he'd kept his hands up and didn't go charging into punches things might have been different. We've all seen Forrest start slowly and pull out victories in the later rounds, but we can't determine who the better fighter was due to the highly unusual circumstances.

Anderson's strategy was to clown around with his hands down.
Chris' strategy was to punch his opponent in the head.

I wonder which is the better fighter.

You wonder which is the better strategy you mean.

I'm honestly surprised Weidman isn't getting more shit about this. I mean imagine winning two fights, where one was catching the guy dancing around with his hands down, mocking you, and the other was a leg injury. I agree that he really hasn't truly beaten Anderson. But Anderson had his chance in the first fight.

Why would Weidman get shit? Because a bunch of dumbass MMA fans are dumb beyond belief?

Sounds about right. Shit happens in fights. A win is a win. Deal with it.

I didnt say he was taking over the 2nd round of the 2nd fight. I said he was starting to get his striking going. There's a difference.

landing 2 strikes does not constitute getting it going. He was still missing 75% of his strikes so he hadnt found his distance yet. He was moving the same as the first round and still a bit hesitant.

Watching that round multiple times I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

No doubt Silvas GOAT but here I gotta lenthy analysis of these two as well... Weidman has his number, the end

Chris weidman was prepared to beat Anderson anywhere the fight went

He did it twice

How was the first one different from other wins? Is a KO not a legit win? Its not like Anderson was doing something new or special he hadn't done to other opponents before.

Out of 4 rounds they fought Weidman won 2 and finished Silva in the other 2.

Same here - I am super surprised by people's reactions - its like all logic has gone out the window. Like they went toe to toe twice and Weidman KOd him twice, despite Anderson's hands being up and him fighting his heart out.

There is something very strange to me about the sherdogger's reactions.

Lol at Anderson starting to get things going in second round of second fight... he went 2 for 8 in that round with one of them strikes breaking his leg .. 2-8 is getting it going? Why because he threw shit that never landed?

You should create a poll to see how many people agree with your stupid logic.

Mine if the few times I took the time out to read a whole thread it turns out to be this shit. Weidman is definitely the better fighter, both fights prove it.

Hendo & Sonnen won the first round against Anderson, but they never had him in any danger. Weidman on the other hand rocked him in both rounds, dropping him in the second fight.

I've been watching MMA since the original Greek pankration tournaments.

It's clear that AS had Weidman right where he wanted him. Didn't you see how disfigured Weidman looked after AS glanced him with a few hammer fists from the bottom? Fight should have been stopped right there.
I agree with you.

I also think Anderson vs Forrest doesn't prove who the better fighter is, because Forrest doesn't usually fight that badly. If he'd kept his hands up and didn't go charging into punches things might have been different. We've all seen Forrest start slowly and pull out victories in the later rounds, but we can't determine who the better fighter was due to the highly unusual circumstances.

Excellence in posting, the both of you. I meant it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back