No More Early Copies for the Press to Review

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do yall think of this move pf companies no longer wanting to send out early copies of games for early reviews before release. For Honor is not going to and Besthda said they wont for any future game releases.

ubisoft_will_not_be_giving_reviewers_access_for_honor_before_launch

Now I know there are some people that believe are paid reviews but I think it is good to have some info out there before release.

Doesn't really matter to me. But I can see why a company wouldn't want too.

It's a catch 22. Early bad reviews can hurt a game, but early good reviews can help it.

I really don't mind. Let the game stand on it's own. I don't think any early reviews ultimately had too much of an impact on sales.

Just means I have to wait a bit longer for reviews of games.

I never pre order anyways. Dont trust games anymore unless I see a review first. Been burned enough to know better.

They're scared or their game is probably not worth full price.

Look at Nioh. Reviews up a week before release and word of mouth is going strong.

It's their right to do that but they're risking negative goodwill if the game is not a hit on release and consumers decide they've been deceived somehow.

Gaming Journalism is mostly dead anyway. They dug their own graves and jumped in when they decided to attack their own base.

I avoid all the old gaming sites these days. They burned their bridges with me a couple of years ago with their PC and SJW bullshit.

There's a few podcasts I listen to get info on upcoming games and new game reviews. I also get good info here at the video game subforum as well.

Why? Because I trust the podcasts I listen to and ya'lls input, because you're interested in the same I am, playing fun games.... Not pushing political agendas.

And if they think the next generation of gamers are going to be following gaming journalism websites in the future, they're fooling themselves.

Perfect example..

The Bitching cryfeast from Gaming Sites over Mei's (Overwatch) recent skins. Where it appears that she may have lost weight and is no longer fat. I never thought she was fat, I just thought it was the coat.... lol

I knew nothing about any of this until I heard it on a podcast. They were laughing how stupid it was too.

Maybe Mei was getting fat shamed and she decided to do something about it? :rolleyes:

I think more than in the past developers are making all of their sales in those first couple of weeks. The more they can delay a bad review, the better. I'm not actually sure good reviews impact sales nearly as much as bad ones do, since we are a pretty impatient consumer base anymore. I'm definitely guilty of buying some shitty games before the reviews have come out

Consumers could fight back by not buying games on day 1. However, so many people preorder these days I don't see any chance in hell at that happening for a long time.

Like movies games tend to be front loaded for sales.

Though unlike movies a game rated below 8/10 is considered garbage by many due to the broken and bought reviews. And this may hurt Dev bonuses for first week/month sales.

I don't preorder nearly as much as I used to but, at the end of the day if people really wait to buy devs and publishers need to change how they work with bonuses

Video game "journalists" are full of hate and venom most of the time. No matter the game they will often publish scathing reviews because that's what people want to see. Humans are strange in that their first impression is often the most compelling for them, so it's difficult for people to overcome that initial reaction to what someone else is saying about something. I can see why video game developers would rather have customers make their own opinions with first hand experience, rather than relying on "video game journalists" who get early copies and pump out so much vile rhetoric. Lots of people don't want to like certain games for specific reason, so no matter how good the game will be, they're going to trash it and if they have an audience as a "journalist" they're going to sway a lot of people.

Destiny is a perfect example : great game overall, but had some early issues, and the "journalists" fucking destroyed that game. Meanwhile, a game like The Division was even worse at launch, but got great reviews.

I can see why developers wouldn't want these people to have early access, but I can see why consumers would like them to have early access. Me, I almost always wait a month or so after release anyways, so it's not an issue for me anymore. I got burned too many times with pre-ordering... fucking Halo 4 and Hitman : Absolution ruined me for pre-ordering. haha

the press in all its formats includig video games are all dipshit that sold out ages ago so they can eat shit

It doesn't affect me, as I don't pre-order, and have only bought two games at release in my entire life.

The gaming media are full of pretentious douchenozzles too, so they can go and F themselves. TIme for a new line of work.

Why let the old media guys have access when you can buy youtubers for super cheap?

And for For Honor I can't say I care all that much. They're running an open beta leading up to launch, so people who want to try it before buying will have an opportunity to.

All the justifications they give for it are terrible though.

Why let the old media guys have access when you can buy youtubers for super cheap?
bingo.gif

How often do we find out after the fact that a "journalist" has rushed through a game just to be the first to review it or that they didn't even finish it? Or they score an exclusive review for a game they've been advertising the shit out of on their sites?

Game journalism is a joke and having the first review doesn't mean anything other providing troll fodder on forums.

Personally, my best source for game info is seeing gameplay. The more gameplay I see, the more I can form my own opinions and determine if it looks good to me.

I can't recall the last time I fully read a review. I skip right to the closing comments and then close the window.

If you're Bethesda you don't need to, everyone's still going to buy the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout regardless.

Most games aren't worth 65 with tax new anyways. I usually wait like 2 weeks to know if the game is good.