No More Conor or GSP talk. Get back on track.

Ryeboi

F*ck Trump Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The reality of having a "Multi-divisional" champ, and the accompanying media circus, derailed two weight classes (feather weight and light weight) by leaving many questions unanswered about which fighters were truly deserving of being a contender and subsequently a champion.

Fans and fighters alike felt it unfair to deny Jose Aldo, the previous featherweight champion with seven title defenses, an immediate rematch. They felt it unfair for Conor to receive a shot for the light weight belt after zero title defenses in the feather weight belt. And felt it unfair for Conor to receive a shot for the light weight belt without having beaten the legitimate light weight contenders in Khabib, Mike Johnson, or Tony Ferg; especially since Conor lost to Nate Diaz.

Yet the UFC does not care, as they were willing to entertain another "Multi-divisional" bout, GSP vs Bisping, which threatened to log jam one more division, and even promted middle weights to openly discuss holding a laborstrike until the UFC introduced an interm-belt.

This may only be my personal opinion, but, compared to the sensationalism that surrounds the idea of "Multi-division champ", standard fight cards begin to feel hollow and inconsequential. Because I no longer associate winning a UFC fight...with progress. By this I mean, I no longer trust the UFC to reward a fighter who has climbed the ladder, by giving them a title shot. Because I know the UFC values marketability over skill, so at anytime they may bring in someone less deserving to fight for the title, as long as they forecast greater profitibility.

I find this to be incredibly disappointing, as I've watched the UFC since it's inception because I was interested in martial arts, not PPV buys and social media followers. The purist in me wants to see a fighter go through the gauntlet a la JCVD bloodsport and defeat opponents of increasing skill level before becoming a champion. Because that is worth seeing and celebrating. That's why I hope the UFC gets back on track. I want the UFC to live up to the purpose defined by the name of the organization - The Ultimate Fighting Championship. And I hope they stick to crowning Ultimate Fighting Champions, rather than Ultimate PPV Draws. But realist in me knows better. That's why I'm not surprised fighters like Al Iaquinta and Anthony Johnson are ready to pursue alternate career paths. And to be honest I feel like I wasted a good hour writing this post. I need to find a new hobby because the UFC sucks.

Sorry bud but money talks. And that is all the new owners care about. I'm ready for the legit contenders to get their deserved shots.

giphy.gif

at what point in our very short history did MMA fans become whiny little bitches?

Absolutely. The titles lose their legitimacy when the division's top contenders are passed over for a title shot in favor of the "money fight".

I didnt read all that shit but if a fighter can do both i say bravo. It takes big balls to move up and fight, only the greats do that and win belts.

its become the ultimate fighting circus

I agree as well, old timer.

But this is the way things are now, and there doesn't seem to be any way of going back since these new owners only care about getting their money back. Only thing we can do is voice our opinion on these "money" fights. Dana said 'the people' wanted GSP v. Bisping, which is a flatout lie so that needs correction in the form of fan outcry. If no voices are raised, then it becomes implicit and the lies continue.

Also ignore these tl;dr fools, they can't be bothered to read past a paragraph for even proper education.

The reality of having a "Multi-divisional" champ, and the accompanying media circus, derailed two weight classes (feather weight and light weight) by leaving many questions unanswered about which fighters were truly deserving of being a contender and subsequently a champion.

Fans and fighters alike felt it unfair to deny Jose Aldo, the previous featherweight champion with seven title defenses, an immediate rematch. They felt it unfair for Conor to receive a shot for the light weight belt after zero title defenses in the feather weight belt. And felt it unfair for Conor to receive a shot for the light weight belt without having beaten the legitimate light weight contenders in Khabib, Mike Johnson, or Tony Ferg; especially since Conor lost to Nate Diaz.

Yet the UFC does not care, as they were willing to entertain another "Multi-divisional" bout, GSP vs Bisping, which threatened to log jam one more division, and even promted middle weights to openly discuss holding a laborstrike until the UFC introduced an interm-belt.

This may only be my personal opinion, but, compared to the sensationalism that surrounds the idea of "Multi-division champ", standard fight cards begin to feel hollow and inconsequential. Because I no longer associate winning a UFC fight...with progress. By this I mean, I no longer trust the UFC to reward a fighter who has climbed the ladder, by giving them a title shot. Because I know the UFC values marketability over skill, so at anytime they may bring in someone less deserving to fight for the title, as long as they forecast greater profitibility.

I find this to be incredibly disappointing, as I've watched the UFC since it's inception because I was interested in martial arts, not PPV buys and social media followers. The purist in me wants to see a fighter go through the gauntlet a la JCVD bloodsport and defeat opponents of increasing skill level before becoming a champion. Because that is worth seeing and celebrating. That's why I hope the UFC gets back on track. I want the UFC to live up to the purpose defined by the name of the organization - The Ultimate Fighting Championship. And I hope they stick to crowning Ultimate Fighting Champions, rather than Ultimate PPV Draws. But realist in me knows better. That's why I'm not surprised fighters like Al Iaquinta and Anthony Johnson are ready to pursue alternate career paths. And to be honest I feel like I wasted a good hour writing this post. I need to find a new hobby because the UFC sucks.

First, you make several good points. But let's not jump the gun. Bisping-Gsp is off- for now. Conor was a rare case. I agree with your concern about the direction it's heading, but am not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water yet.

It will balance out eventually. UFC isnt even thirty years old yet. More charismatic truly skilled players will come along providing the best of both worlds. The people trying to emulate what Conor has done are the ones that are actually on the right track and should probably be encouraged rather than criticized. Thats my reasoned opinion in terms of how business works but as someone thats a purist it does kind of suck. Give Maia his motherfucking shot.

Probably when champions refused to fight top contenders in their own divisions.
na it happened long before that happened..... you goofs just took it to painful levels

You speak for me also, brother.
This so fucking much

Back