No Homework rule at my kid's school

I never did any homework and I always got As and Bs in my classes through My pre college academic career

Last edited:
Well, schools take it out of your hands these days. You have to call and force them to tell you shit these days and then they have the nerve to act defensive about it.
All part of being a parent. Frustrating phone calls will be a huge part of your life.

Well, I hope you try to be more involved once he does start school and don't expect your wife to do all of it. If you have enough time to post on sherdog as much as you do, you'll have time to help your kids with homework.

I'm more involved in my son's life than my wife is. She's gone to work before he even wakes up everyday. I wake him up, dress him, pack his lunch, feed him breakfast and drop him off at daycare on my way to the office every morning. She needs to pick up the slack.

Any school that implements a no homework policy is a fucking joke.

Multiple studies have found that homework is DETRIMENTAL for children until high school.

Children are supposed to learn from exploring and playing outside of school.

They are children.

You just went 0-100mph there.

Life lessons are taught at an early age for a reason. You don't just allow your kids to run around willy nilly and then expect them to all the sudden be responsible at a certain age. It's a slow progression of responsibilities and experiences. The simple 10 question quizzes in 3rd grade prepare you for the critical thinking social studies questions in 4th grade, which prepare you for the essay you have to write in 5th grade and that in turn prepares you for the volcano project you have to build in 6th grade. It's the personal responsibility that you're learning to manage so once you get to the next level each year, you aren't panicking at what the teacher or boss has thrown at you.

Sure , but it can be done without stiffling a 6 or an 8 year olds desire and most importantly absolute need for free play time and exercise. Overbooking your kid isn't gonna pay off like you think it is , there is a point of diminishing returns that I see most well meaning parents blow by .

All part of being a parent. Frustrating phone calls will be a huge part of your life.
I'm aware. My daughter is 10. It wasn't like this when I was a kid. We always had homework and it was how my mother was involved with my schooling.

Kids across the land have started school this week.

My kid's elementary school just instituted a "no homework" policy.

Good idea or bad idea? Should schools give out homework (elementary, middle or high school):

YES - Homework reinforces the concepts that were introduced during the school day. This helps the kids understand the material better.

YES - Homework teaches time management skills.

YES - Homework creates independent and creative students that can work longer/shorter than the designated time given within the classroom.

NO - Homework is just busy work. Studies have shown it makes no significant difference in learning.

NO - I am sure a certain percentage of kids' parents do the homework for them anyway.

NO - Kids are already jam-packed with stuff to do after school from sports, to band, to scouts, to community service projects, etc.
Im all for minimal homework. I have two kids in the first grade now and the shit that is expected of them for homework now is ridiculous. Its getting to the point now where my wife and I are contemplating having my son repeat first grade because its just too much. There are not enough hours in the day. In first grade we parents are still responsible for cooking dinner, making sure that they bathe etc. Its too fucking much!

Sure , but it can be done without stiffling a 6 or an 8 year olds desire and most importantly absolute need for free play time and exercise. Overbooking your kid isn't gonna pay off like you think it is , there is a point of diminishing returns that I see most well meaning parents blow by .

Absolutely. I look at some of that common core shit and it blows my mind that they're making little kids deal with all that. I'm not talking about overloading a little kid with responsibilities. Just 15-20min of homework a couple nights a week or whatever the norm was when I was a kid. I can't even remember doing homework all that often really but I know I'd have to sit down once in a while and hammer some of that shit out before I could go outside and see my friends.

Im all for minimal homework. I have two kids in the first grade now and the shit that is expected of them for homework now is ridiculous. Its getting to the point now where my wife and I are contemplating having my son repeat first grade because its just too much. There are not enough hours in the day. In first grade we parents are still responsible for cooking dinner, making sure that they bathe etc. Its too fucking much!
Absolutely. I look at some of that common core shit and it blows my mind that they're making little kids deal with all that. I'm not talking about overloading a little kid with responsibilities. Just 15-20min of homework a couple nights a week or whatever the norm was when I was a kid. I can't even remember doing homework all that often really but I know I'd have to sit down once in a while and hammer some of that shit out before I could go outside and see my friends.

15 or 20 minutes is fine imo. Its the multiple hours every night that I think is ridiculous. It doesn't accomplish anything but prematurely introducing the suck of being overburdened that will compromise the bulk of one's life anyway.

I'd rather error on the side of too little homework than too much

Good idea or bad idea? Should schools give out homework (elementary, middle or high school):

YES - Homework reinforces the concepts that were introduced during the school day. This helps the kids understand the material better.

YES - Homework creates independent and creative students that can work longer/shorter than the designated time given within the classroom.

NO - Homework is just busy work. Studies have shown it makes no significant difference in learning.

NO - I am sure a certain percentage of kids' parents do the homework for them anyway.

NO - Kids are already jam-packed with stuff to do after school from sports, to band, to scouts, to community service projects, etc.

As far as I can remember the research available suggests homework is counter productive in most cases, certainly early on.

a good compromise would be no homework weekends, that's how my kids school has it setup. I think it's great that way. Weekdays, focus on school and learn responsibility, and the weekend is the weekend.

I still think 8 hours a day is enough schooling. Kids are still people, they have lives and need downtime.

It's just like how most adults want to leave work at work. They're not trying to take that shit home with them.

I think this is appropriate to eliminate homework for kindergartners. I also think the amount of homework assigned to kids in higher grades should be minimized. Children should get the majority of their academic learning from teachers in school. This is why we pay our taxes. It should not be shifted onto parents.

Last edited:
Children should get the majority of their academic learning from teachers in school. This is why we pay our taxes. It should not be shifted onto parents.
This is the battle cry of the piece of shit, do nothing, ignore their kids, parent.

This is the battle cry of the piece of shit, do nothing, ignore their kids, parent.

Maybe they don't want to ignore their kids. Maybe they just would rather be doing fun shit with them instead of force-feeding them shit they should already be learning in class.

Maybe they don't want to ignore their kids. Maybe they just would rather be doing fun shit with them instead of force-feeding them shit they should already be learning in class.
How old are your kids?

Lol, wait till he is a teen. And goes by "no rules in the house"...
Smh@ at the "schools"

Okay, so you just proved my point.

I am fucking with you. I am pretty sure I don't have any children, but I do have 12 nieces and nephews. Being an uncle is all the benefits of being a parent with none of the responsibilities. That is the way to go.

Back