No gi vs gi grips?

Luke Rockholds (?) kick

Carmen_basilio's_left_hook
@White
Reaction score
Now because I train MMA in gi it's the sleeve grip and no gi it's the wrist grip and also stiff arming occurs in where you hold or push the back of their elbow in no gi there are slight differences, such as posture control is one of them probably the most noticeable difference but I just want your take on things thanks guys.

It is more than just using wrist control, use elbow, tricep, head, and leg control as well.

IMO good no gi gripping involves more than just underhooks and overhooks and wrist control, etc. I think it's very beneficial to learn submissions that double as grips and control points. Learn your kimura grips. Guillotines. Darces. 1 leg X/Ashi. Triangles. The threat of submission opens up position in no gi. Also your body itself can be a good grip. For example on a leg drag pass instead of staying upright and latching onto the collars, project your weight forward onto their chest and really use your body weight as a way to hold them.

Beyond just grips, just thinking of ways to keep your body "sticky" to theirs. If you have a choke or an armlock or a leg lock and they roll, find ways to stay stuck to them so they carry you. Anything where you can connect your hands or a figure four grip around anything helps. Waist, torso, etc.

This sounds very generic I'm sure and overhooks and underhooks are crucial, but viewing grips as being a more broad concept than just grabbing something with your hands is very important without the gi.

Actually pretty astute observation. Maia uses hand and head tripods to claim control and retain position rather than using strong grips and crossfaces. It allows him to be able to posture and strike, rather than being tied to grips.

I always look at it using the term entanglement instead of grips. To me, grips converts most of the control to what your hands are doing, while entanglements describe your hands, legs, arms, hips and feet. You probably wouldnt call double outside ashi a "grip" per se, but as far as the position, you have total control, often times with use of both hands.

Actually pretty astute observation. Maia uses hand and head tripods to claim control and retain position rather than using strong grips and crossfaces. It allows him to be able to posture and strike, rather than being tied to grips.

I always look at it using the term entanglement instead of grips. To me, grips converts most of the control to what your hands are doing, while entanglements describe your hands, legs, arms, hips and feet. You probably wouldnt call double outside ashi a "grip" per se, but as far as the position, you have total control, often times with use of both hands.

I might have to start using that term also. I like that.

Your a collage wrestler right might not be suitable for MMA but non the cool here's What a tripod is to pass guards.
I know what a tripod is.. I was asking how it pertained to to your questions about grips dumbass. Holt explained it for you. I'm sorry you are still butthurt about the other thread. All I asked was "what".. I wasn't rude until you were.. good lord

Last edited:

Thank you

Speaking of grip how do you get young wrestlers to stop clinging to the head so much

Speaking of grip how do you get young wrestlers to stop clinging to the head so much
Fuck outta here on jitsu thread you don't know fuck all about MMA and your a twat I've seen your profile all you do is sit at home all day and argue on Sherdog your sad cunt I pity you your a one dimensional wrestler and your wrestling style is not effective in MMA as seen with Phil davis get of my thread you weird ass stalker your a fruitcake i feel for ya bro.

Fuck outta here on jitsu thread you don't know fuck all about MMA and your a twat I've seen your profile all you do is sit at home all day and argue on Sherdog your sad cunt I pity you your a one dimensional wrestler and your wrestling style is not effective in MMA as seen with Phil davis get of my thread you weird ass stalker your a fruitcake i feel for ya bro.
Like I said, all I did was ask "what?" to what you meant about the tripod. Holt answered exactly what my question was. I did not say anything else until you became rude...and now you are being more rude for no reason and saying a bunch of irrelevant things. And I do train bjj as well.. keep saying dumb things. All I did was ask what you meant and you became rude for no reason

Our daily warmup before drills is 2X5 minute rounds of pumelling and handfighting instead of calesthenics and stretching. In our daily drills we do clearing ties, snap and go/post and go, and one guy holding position without tying up.

Our daily warmup before drills is 2X5 minute rounds of pumelling and handfighting instead of calesthenics and stretching. In our daily drills we do clearing ties, snap and go/post and go, and one guy holding position without tying up.
Thank you. I've put in a "get off me" drill using elbow offs and snaps and I'll add those in

Why do you train MMA in a Gi?? Just wondering. I don't think it is legal to fight MMA in a Gi anymore. Maybe in smaller shows. Just wondering.

Why do you train MMA in a Gi?? Just wondering. I don't think it is legal to fight MMA in a Gi anymore. Maybe in smaller shows. Just wondering.
Yeah I know I do from time to time use gi but it's always good to use both wouldn't you agree, I mean Royce Gracie vs Ken shamrock UFC 5 was an example of why a gi is not useful in MMA just gets someone held down imo but I use both.

I know what a tripod is.. I was asking how it pertained to to your questions about grips dumbass. Holt explained it for you. I'm sorry you are still butthurt about the other thread. All I asked was "what".. I wasn't rude until you were.. good lord
Get your :eek::eek::eek:ETT ass out of my thread I check your profile and I can tell right away that your a lonely creep first your a collage coach next your a Jiu jitsu expert are you serious I was on a thread seven days ago and forgot who you where and you literally stalked my profile and went on my thread bro get lost your a wrestler and your a liar look at my profile not on Sherdog all the time occasionally whereas you just on here all day, and your not a good teacher your a passive aggressive lonely creep, your so weird you were willing to give another guy your address my god the creeps on the internet like you best avoided nutters now get your lazy cuntface outta here.

Back