No desire to learn anything remotely fancy

I consider deep half a basic, in the sense that it doesn't rely on any particular physical attribute, can work pretty much against anyone regardless of size disparity, and there are several common situations where it's the best, most efficient answer to the problem at hand. Which is pretty much my definition of a 'basic'.

I have to agree. I have this 220 LBS 23 y/o marine that can roll through my 170lbs 47 (almost) y/o ass with strength and the well applied technique if I am not paying attention. A good test for me on a new technique I am learning is if I can apply it to him. Deep half guard worked right away. From video, to grappling dummy, to live sparring. Deep half is on my short list of things i am going to go "deeper" into.

You really shouldn't ever be flat on your back in any of those positions. Or in almost any position, actually. Flat back is lack of mobility. Flat back is getting inability to compete for underhooks. Flat back is death.

Sorry for my lack of vocabulary, what I meant it's that your back and neck is in straight line, you're not folded with a lot of weight on your neck and shoulders.

Sorry for my lack of vocabulary, what I meant it's that your back and neck is in straight line, you're not folded with a lot of weight on your neck and shoulders.

Posture. And yes, you should have good posture in pretty much any position, which is a big part of why I don't like the inverted-all-the-time game.

Its good you have that mindset, there's too many that want to do fancy stuff before getting the basics down.

Full guard, half guard, side control, mount, back control and reluctantly a bit of de la Riva for emergencies are all I ever put any time into and all I have any passion to learn.

Seriously, anything other than that, even spider or deep half, I find mundane. Show me some lapel-worm trickery and I might fall asleep.

Is anyone else (other than Roger) the same?

Kron

I've learned spider-guard, RLDL and lasso, never use them.

I haven't learned worm/tornado/rubber/whatever guard or deep half, but lately I'm thinking I need to learn deep half because I see why it's useful.

Even though I train in gi, I try not to spend much time attacking with things that are gi-dependant. I really like the way Marcelo set up his game.

My guards are closed, half, knee shield, high guard, butterfly, x-guard and sitting guard.

My passes tend to be on my knees because I don't want my opponent to be able to sit up.

Back