Nipples fails a drug test

The path is clear now for Deontay.

He just needs to win easy fights and build hype until Joshua makes a name for himself.

It boils down to Joshua, Deontay, Tyson, Parker
Joshua already has a name. An AJ Wilder unification makes both fighters 8 figures in the UK tomorrow IMO. They could wait a couple of years for AJ to become legit PPV in America on his own, but Wilder's resume is already getting silly. He doesn't want to get to 40 fights with only one decent win.

Joshua already has a name. An AJ Wilder unification makes both fighters 8 figures in the UK tomorrow IMO. They could wait a couple of years for AJ to become legit PPV in America on his own, but Wilder's resume is already getting silly. He doesn't want to get to 40 fights with only one decent win.

It is not Wilder's fault that Povetkin tried to cheat and ruined their fight.

Yeah, don't put this in deontay. If people can't do a training camp without bullshit then it's their call.

This is what I've been most surprised at by all this stuff. I think this is the first time I can remember the 'clean' athlete copping more stick than the dirty guy. There have been a huge amount of people blaming Wilder over all this happening, which is just stunning to me frankly.

It's really sad when Povetkin fans are coming out and saying it's Wilder's fault for pulling out, and then follow with the usual 'he's ducking to stay fighting bums' retread, rather than Povetkin's for testing dirty in the first place. Their reasoning coming straight from the mouth of Povetkin's promoter and PR guy...totally independent and honest source obviously.

I've heard a lot more said, 99% of it bad, about Wilder than I have about Povetkin in the fall out from this. I understand that it was a huge fight for the division, but when a guy tests positive for roids, it's all on him. The opponent stops mattering in terms of what happens with the fight.

This is what I've been most surprised at by all this stuff. I think this is the first time I can remember the 'clean' athlete copping more stick than the dirty guy. There have been a huge amount of people blaming Wilder over all this happening, which is just stunning to me frankly.

It's really sad when Povetkin fans are coming out and saying it's Wilder's fault for pulling out, and then follow with the usual 'he's ducking to stay fighting bums' retread, rather than Povetkin's for testing dirty in the first place. Their reasoning coming straight from the mouth of Povetkin's promoter and PR guy...totally independent and honest source obviously.

I've heard a lot more said, 99% of it bad, about Wilder than I have about Povetkin in the fall out from this. I understand that it was a huge fight for the division, but when a guy tests positive for roids, it's all on him. The opponent stops mattering in terms of what happens with the fight.
I think you're right. Don't test positive and show your skills in the ring.

Povetkin has won a few fights in a row by KO. He's morphed into an exotic white puncher in his last few. Hipster boxing fans like those sorts of fighters.

It is not Wilder's fault that Povetkin tried to cheat and ruined their fight.
Of course not, I'm not blaming Wilder at all for what happened but his resume doesn't care whose fault it was, only that he fought another knockover (presumably) instead of a world class fighter. Kell Brook is having a similar problem.

It'll be interesting to see if he actively seeks out another Povetkin-sized fight after this, or if he goes back to knocking people over who are clearly not on his level. If it's the latter I'll be disappointed.

Of course not, I'm not blaming Wilder at all for what happened but his resume doesn't care whose fault it was, only that he fought another knockover (presumably) instead of a world class fighter. Kell Brook is having a similar problem.

It'll be interesting to see if he actively seeks out another Povetkin-sized fight after this, or if he goes back to knocking people over who are clearly not on his level. If it's the latter I'll be disappointed.
Brook and Wilder have both fought top fighters.

Brook and Wilder have both fought top fighters.
Yep, one each. Porter and Stiverne. Both fights for the belt, and they've both had 3 uninspiring defenses since. Again, not their fault. if everything had panned out, Brook would have fought Chaves last October and Wilder would be fighting Povetkin. But as it stands neither will happen.

My sentiments exactly.

Povetkin has won a few fights in a row by KO. He's morphed into an exotic white puncher in his last few. Hipster boxing fans like those sorts of fighters.

Yeah, it's certainly an odd one. I also think, along with the hipsters, that a certain crazy group of fans of another fighter are clinging on to Povetkin now that this other fighter is getting on and getting beaten. These fans, the vocal ones anyway, have a very strong ...errr...'bias' let's say, against a certain type of fighter and no matter whose fault it was, they'll blame the other guy by any means necessary.

Yeah, it's certainly an odd one. I also think, along with the hipsters, that a certain crazy group of fans of another fighter are clinging on to Povetkin now that this other fighter is getting on and getting beaten. These fans, the vocal ones anyway, have a very strong ...errr...'bias' let's say, against a certain type of fighter and no matter whose fault it was, they'll blame the other guy by any means necessary.

[nods]

About ten years ago on the 'net I thought the worst people in the world were the racist teenybopper Klit fans. Then for a few years they all seemed to recede & occasionally pop up to vomit their white power/slavic pride bullshit all over Kov & GGG. Even then, they seemed relatively rare.

This (Povetkin & the heart drug saga) has extracted every single one of them from the woodwork on every single comment thread & forum.

It's wrenching to read it all, but I kinda feel young again, & it's nice to have some unfortunate people to laugh at & occasionally prod with a stick, though it'd be cool to talk boxing without feeling like I'm in a Jobbik recruiting room.

Back